NCL Gem December 23rd 2017 will it be cancelled because of hurricane damage?

ace2542

It is supposed to sail to at least 3 of the islands badly effected by the hurricane. Will they reroute or cancel the cruise outright? If they cancel outright what happens because we would be stranded in new york for 12 days if that was to happen. We are doing westbound cunard sailing dec 15th to nyc and then Jan 3rd eastbound sailing to southampton

Opinions please. Thanks in advance.

If you scroll down the page, you will find many threads about the cruises and islands.

Your cruise, like the ones going this week, next week, next month, and in November will not be cancelled.

As to where it will go for sure - you will probably not know until at least late October - possibly later.

Nobody knows at this point.

But, there will be a cruise.

Thanks for the responses so far. IF they did cancel it what would happen? Would the agency we have used to book the cruises have to put us up in a hotel or would that fall to NCL to do that? Because I can't see the agency doing that. Cunard had to kick their butts to get them to make the bookings with them.

It is pretty much a wait and see. NCL has a lot going on and I'm sure they will be working on cruises sailing in September and October first. I doubt they would cancel, but will probably have to change the itinerary.

The islands will get the cruise ports and docks back up and running as quickly as they can they really need that. They also need to show it is safe to visit and they are not near doing that yet though the locals will be determined to rebuild. I will not be going ashore at any of the ports that have been affected by the hurricane unless I am convinced it is physically safe to do so.

If NCL cancels before sailing they just return your money and probably give you a future credit. Agency might have some responsibility but I'd bet on it being your problem.

But this far it's safe to say the ship will sail - where is up in the air, but they don't take in any money if they don't sail. This far out a cancellation would only come up for some future event - ship breaks or Blizzard in NYC.

The islands will get the cruise ports and docks back up and running as quickly as they can they really need that. They also need to show it is safe to visit and they are not near doing that yet though the locals will be determined to rebuild. I will not be going ashore at any of the ports that have been affected by the hurricane of call I think it will be way too dangerous.
This is why it is a wait and see. Looking at pictures, I think some of the ports won't be ready for cruise ships until next year, others might be ready sooner. NCL will change the itinerary to other ports if they feel it is necessary, because they will not put passengers in an unsafe position, but it is going to take some time to figure out the logistics of moving ships around and to see how the ports affected are faring with their rebuilds.

I seriously doubt that neither our travel agent or NCL would be paying for any hotel rooms.

I would suggest that if you feel you might be placed in an unsafe position, you cancel your cruise and rebook at a later date.

Thanks for the responses so far. IF they did cancel it what would happen? Would the agency we have used to book the cruises have to put us up in a hotel or would that fall to NCL to do that? Because I can't see the agency doing that. Cunard had to kick their butts to get them to make the bookings with them.

Do you have travel Insurance? Travel agent put you up in a hotel? Don't think so. I f they were to cancel you would get a refund or a reasonable compensation offer.

Good luck, look into travel Insurance.

Any way your cruise contract states they can change itineraries even departure dates. You will more than likely have an itinerary change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see no reason they would cancel.

The Escape and Sky are planning to sail this weekend. The Escape has modified ports already for their Carrib cruises.

You will sail - assuming another bad storm does not come along and change things.

There is little concern at this point.

OP, the only way for NCL to cancel (or even shorten) your December 23, 2017 sailing is when a massive destructive storm hits New York that will close the Manhattan cruise port for more than a few days causing Gem to sail out to safe waters and not be able to return to NY in time for December 23.

This will remotely ever happen. So please rest assure your ship Gem WILL sail to whatever itinerary she has at the time. Cruises are not cancelled if several ports in the itinerary are deemed unready for the cruises to go to. They just substitute the ports or add extra sea days.

NCL does not cancel cruises until extreme circumstances cause them to. This is the first time in so many years that multiple cruises got cancelled as their homeport is in Florida where the ungodly Irma hit.

I'm so very sad about the amount of the destruction Irma caused to the lovely Eastern Caribbean islands and can only wish great magic to them and their people for their great and quick efforts for their restoration and recovery to their islands. It is going to take them months and I wish them all the luck and effort for the speedy recovery. They need to rebuild their lives first. It's so devastating for them.

We live in hurricane alley and have been hit numerous times but Bermuda has been very resilient because all of the houses and buildings here are concrete. Yes, we lost power but recovery has been fast, and unfortunately very unlike the East Caribbean islands.

It is supposed to sail to at least 3 of the islands badly effected by the hurricane. Will they reroute or cancel the cruise outright? If they cancel outright what happens because we would be stranded in new york for 12 days if that was to happen. We are doing westbound cunard sailing dec 15th to nyc and then Jan 3rd eastbound sailing to southampton

They can easily do a 12 day western out of NYC and you can be fairly confident that they are not cancelling a December cruise due to a September hurricane

They will change itin. Add sea days. Add less or more desirable ports but cancellation is close to zero unless something else happens

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I am sailing on NCL Gem leaving 12/12/17 from NYC no changes yet even though NCL is sending cruises to the west side of Florida to Jamaica for the months of Oct, Nov, Jan Feb and March with no mention for December, I contacted NCL and the person I spoke with at NCL concerning changes had no information but that I would get an email from NCL regarding any changes. It seems to me that if NCL make changes for 5 out of 6 months with the 6th month in the middle that cruise would also be changed but the person at NCL just told me no changes, I know that we do sail to Jamaica no big thing since it is warm weather at least I hope so but would like to get info regarding the area as to what to see and do, I checked on line with NCL regarding making a reservation for December 12th and they still show the San Juan St. Thomas etc. cruise

thetaro

Since we are going on the same cruise there is a meet and great list and that arrangements being made for the day and time. If you are interested there is going to be a slot pull at a place and time to be determined most likely a sea day. Cost is $20 per person if you are interested, If not just stop by and say hi. At one time there were two different roll calls but one contained the incorrect date in the title so most people did not look at it.

Will see you in 77 days

Sam The Cat (Andy)

Ace we are on the same cruises as you , I love the TAs and am a big fan of cunard , hoping NCL will be as good if different.

I'm sure the cruise will go ahead pity if we miss some of the ports , I was looking forward to Tortola never been there.

Do you have a transfer to your hotel in NY ?

We will be at the ROW Hotel ,,,,no idea where it is ,

Ace we are on the same cruises as you , I love the TAs and am a big fan of cunard , hoping NCL will be as good if different.

I'm sure the cruise will go ahead pity if we miss some of the ports , I was looking forward to Tortola never been there.

FYI, unless you know something different, it is unlikely you will be going to Tortola.

As for NCL and Cunard: they are so different it is unbelievable. Both have strong and weak points. Remember NCL is not upscale or formal in any way. The guests are totally different as well. For us, this why we prefer NCL. For some Cunard is the only way to go.

If you want the cheap :) and probably quickest option, simply walk a few blocks to the 42 bus ( in front of the Circle line), get off at 8th Ave, Port Authority, Cross the street (toward Duane Reade) keep walking in the same direction a few more blocks- hotel is across the street. $2.75 COIN only (should be able to get change on ship)

We don't have a transfer I am in a different hotel in the west 30s near Penn station. Your hotel is located on 45th 8th according to google. If you don't have a transfer You can get a green or yellow cab from the Brooklyn cruise terminal into manhattan. You can get a second cab on the saturday to the manhattan cruise terminal from your hotel.

If you want the cheap :) and probably quickest option, simply walk a few blocks to the 42 bus ( in front of the Circle line), get off at 8th Ave, Port Authority, Cross the street (toward Duane Reade) keep walking in the same direction a few more blocks- hotel is across the street. $2.75 COIN only (should be able to get change on ship)

The Queen Mary 2 will arrive into the brooklyn cruise terminal and the hotel is in manhattan. You would need more than 1 bus from brooklyn a cab is the best bet if transfers are not included.

Since the cruise in question is a transatlantic there are only a few options available. Another stop in Europe before arriving; or some stops in the Bahamas.

Our 12 day Eastern Caribbean, Dec. 3, on Breakaway has been turned into a half-western. We will now call at Port Canaveral, Nassau, and Great Stirrup Cay followed by 3 western ports. I think it is likely you will end up doing 1 to 3 of these ports instead of the Eastern Caribbean before you head to Europe.

The Queen Mary 2 will arrive into the brooklyn cruise terminal and the hotel is in manhattan. You would need more than 1 bus from brooklyn a cab is the best bet if transfers are not included.

I am very sorry, I have seen Cunard at the Manhattan dock and made the wrong assumption. But your "best" claim would not be for me. :) I'd just get on the B 61 bus, to Fulton/Jay, then the A train- subway to Port Authority. :) same $2.75 cost IF you have a Metro card. coins otherwise for bus, then a needing to pay again for the subway $3.75 with metro card, or $3 single ride. (purchasing a Metro card with $2.75 left, can be used to get to the Manhattan dock).

I am very sorry, I have seen Cunard at the Manhattan dock and made the wrong assumption. But your "best" claim would not be for me. :) I'd just get on the B 61 bus, to Fulton/Jay, then the A train- subway to Port Authority. :) same $2.75 cost IF you have a Metro card. coins otherwise for bus, then a needing to pay again for the subway $3.75 with metro card, or $3 single ride. (purchasing a Metro card with $2.75 left, can be used to get to the Manhattan dock).

It may be cheaper but they will likely have heavy cases and probably carry on bags as well. They would have to get their cases down the subway station steps and across street intersections. Taxis will take them straight to the doors of where they want to be. They will also get to see the manhattan skyline and sites via taxi route. We will be doing a green taxi to our hotel. I come on here hoping to find people who had booked through the same agency who were staying in the same hotel. The mods don't like agencies being mentioned so it is a dead issue I think.

It may be cheaper but they will likely have heavy cases and probably carry on bags as well. They would have to get their cases down the subway station steps and across street intersections. Taxis will take them straight to the doors of where they want to be. They will also get to see the manhattan skyline and sites via taxi route. We will be doing a green taxi to our hotel. I come on here hoping to find people who had booked through the same agency who were staying in the same hotel. The mods don't like agencies being mentioned so it is a dead issue I think.

It was simply an option. I travel that way all the time. I don't over pack and can manage my luggage perfectly. . I travel all the time, and delight in the "cheapness" :)