When are cabins allocated

Bessbus

Have just booked a cruise on the Silhouette sailing in September 2018. I have booked a verandah stateroom 1B guarantee. On my 5 previous cruises I have always been allocated a stateroom at the time of booking. Perhaps things have changed and current practice is to book a type of cabin rather than a specific cabin. Can anyone please advise when staterooms are allocated.

If you book a GTY cabin or do a dummy booking for one, the Celebrity website states:

With this rate you'll be guaranteed this class accommodations. However, your stateroom's location will be assigned to you at boarding.

In most cases you'll receive your cabin allocation before then, but it could be at the pier when you check in.

I've done GTY twice and been assigned a cabin within a day or two both times. Don't rely on your TA to notify you. Go to the website and check your reservation. Once they assign you a cabin you can change it within the same category. So it's a good idea to check and see what rooms are open in that category. If you find a better one, call your TA or Celebrity and ask them to change it. We did this on our upcoming cruise. They assigned us a 1B right at the front of the ship. When I checked there were a lot of 1Bs open so I changed to one closer to the forward elevators.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for all the replies. I was allocated a cabin today (two and a half weeks after booking) so very pleased. Was allocated a veranda stateroom mid ship, port side on deck 9 about five cabins forward of the lovely hump cabins ( which are probably all booked). I believe that this will be a very suitable cabin and am not looking to change.

I booked oceanview GTY about a month ago. I still don't have a cabin assigned. Does that mean I may get a better cabin? It's a Pacific Coastal with lots of Oceanview available along with verandas and a few aqua and suites.

Sorry, doesn't necessarily mean a thing. We don't usually book GTY, but when we did we didn't get a cabin assignment until a couple weeks prior to sailing. We were not notified - I happened upon it when checking our reservation online.

Sorry, doesn't necessarily mean a thing. We don't usually book GTY, but when we did we didn't get a cabin assignment until a couple weeks prior to sailing. We were not notified - I happened upon it when checking our reservation online.

That was our experience as well

Ditto

This was my first time booking a GTY cabin so I have no experience. I booked a 1B and have been allocated a 1B so cannot complain. My sailing is in September so guesss that I have been fortunate with the early confirmation. I checked my reservation online yesterday to discover the allocation but also received an email this morning. I hope that (Rsquirrel) you are advised soon and that you have a great vacation.

This was my first time booking a GTY cabin so I have no experience. I booked a 1B and have been allocated a 1B so cannot complain. My sailing is in September so guesss that I have been fortunate with the early confirmation. I checked my reservation online yesterday to discover the allocation but also received an email this morning. I hope that (Rsquirrel) you are advised soon and that you have a great vacation.

We must be lucky as our travel agent booked our holiday for us and gave us a choice of stateroom numbers which we were able to decide on when looking on the deck plans. Chose aft C1 cabins. Can’t wait getting very excited count the days off already!! :D

BTW what does GTY stand for?

GTY - stands for guarantee. I booked a particular grade of cabin - 1B veranda state room but the website did not let me choose a room, instead I was guaranteed that level of accommodation. Approx two weeks later Celebrity allocated a specific 1B category room. This is the first time that I have not been able to select a room at the time of booking but no problem waiting for an allocation of my chosen type of room. Not sure if this is new practice by Celebrity.

• 2 weeks later...