Holland America with a toddler???

nyyhoneybee

Club Hal (their childcare/activity program) starts with 3 year olds so there won't be any children's programs that your child will be able to do.

Are there for fee babysitting if Daddy and I want to go out for a dinner one night without her? Will there be a decent amount of kids (this time of year I'm assuming yet)? I've never looked into a Holland America cruise so it's all new to me

I've never done Holland America before but they have a great deal on a last minute cruise. We have a 2 1/2 year old. How is Holland America with a toddler?

Do you want honesty or do you want to hear what you want to hear?

Honestly - Very little for your toddler to do. Think most people will be grand mom and grand pa age. What you need to ask your self is. Am I ready to vacation for however long the cruise is with my child and no breaks? No club hal, No swimming pools. No activities of any kind for the little one. And I can tell you from experience that crying babies are not amusing to the other passengers. (I hope you aren't offended by what I am saying.)

If you are ok with that then give it a try. If not and you want someplace that does have "amenities for children" you would be better off picking another cruise line.

What you want to hear? - Sure HAL is wonderful for toddlers!

Are there for fee babysitting if Daddy and I want to go out for a dinner one night without her? Will there be a decent amount of kids (this time of year I'm assuming yet)? I've never looked into a Holland America cruise so it's all new to me

Sometimes, the front desk has a list of employees that want to babysit for extra money but there is no guarantee that there will be availability on your cruise. As for number of kids, it really depends on length of cruise and timing. If it is a 7 day cruise in the next few weeks then there should be some school age children due to spring break.

Do you want honesty or do you want to hear what you want to hear?

Honestly - Very little for your toddler to do. Think most people will be grand mom and grand pa age. What you need to ask your self is. Am I ready to vacation for however long the cruise is with my child and no breaks? No club hal, No swimming pools. No activities of any kind for the little one. And I can tell you from experience that crying babies are not amusing to the other passengers. (I hope you aren't offended by what I am saying.)

If you are ok with that then give it a try. If not and you want someplace that does have "amenities for children" you would be better off picking another cruise line.

What you want to hear? - Sure HAL is wonderful for toddlers!

I totally want the truth. Honestly? Swimming pools are okay as she's potty trained and pretty good in the pool. No, crying babies aren't amusing for anyone. She's pretty well behaved and rarely do we have a meltdown but it happens.As does a fustrated adult, overly drunk adults etc.

I wish we could get a good cruise for a good price on another line right now lol. We are trying to figure it out. Might just spend an extra day in Disney instead :)

Thanks

Not sure that I saw the dates you plan to sail but here are some of my insights. We have sailed HAL with our daughter since she was 3 1/2. She is now 6 1/2 and can't wait to go back on the "Big Boat". I think you may find difficulty getting a sitter during the dinner hours. For future reference Club Hal(age 3-17) is typically open 9-1130, 1-4 and 7-10. They open earlier on port days and are really not open at all on Half Moon Cay.

At 2 1/2 she will enjoy the pool and up on the sky deck there is a tennis/basketball court that you guys could enjoy throwing a ball or running around. I agree with other posters that you may not get a "break". Although I am sure she still naps and she can do that anywhere, right?? She will enjoy the beaches and the water. We always pick up some sand toys from Target or Costco and leave them behind since we fly from California.

Yes, the demographics on the ship will be wide ranging the majority being over 60. This has never bothered us as we enjoy quiet elegance. If you travel during spring break or over summer you may find a greater number f children but the average for us has been around 10. I understand that during holidays it can be as many as 300. We are going to be on the Niew Amsterdam for spring break..I can let you know.

My kids are 6 & 8 and have been raised on HAL ships.

I can honestly say we have had nothing but great experiences, even when they were too young for Club HAL. Club HAL will often let you borrow/check out toys or books to play with and sometimes let you hang out with them in the club if it is not too busy.

A children's menu is available, just bring your own crayons.

All the crew will likely love on your little one and most of the fellow passengers will be cheerful to young families (as most of them are grandparents). Kids are not common on HAL, but certainly welcome:)

I'm traveling with my 2 1/2 next week on eurodam .I'll let you know when we get back.... this is his 3rd cruise..at 6months, 18 months and now...last year on the ryndam he loved spending time at the basketball court and walking around the ship....staff often stopped to talk or play with him..Good luck!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP: In looking at your list of past cruises, I think you would be better served to stay on those lines. They are all a good fit for children and will be more so as your daughter gets older. So much for children to do on those lines, so little for them on HAL.

We have been sailing HAL with our children since the youngest was 7. Our children have loved HAL over other lines, even Disney. I won't repeat what others have said but in our experience if you are attentive parents who lean more towards active involvement in place of having something entertain your child you will probably enjoy HAL. There are some who try to imply that HAL is not for children but aside from a grump here or there we have not had a bad experience.

The HAL employees love to talk to parents and children. Many have not seen their own children in months and your child will garner much interest and enthusiasm. We have found that well behaved children are welcomed by 98% of those onboard.

Your child will have a bracelet to wear with your lifeboat number. This is for club HAL so not sure if she will have to have it on. Room service is free so good for night snacks, or anytime. We bring pool toys, small ones, and let the children play in the Lido pool as the Seaview pool is for adults only...apparently. The signage says children under 16 must be supervised but our experience has been it depends upon the adults onboard. On a Caribbean Cruise nobody had an issue with my son and daughter using that pool and I sat on the side but on a 20 day Panama Canal voyage one woman pushed them and told them to get out so we only used the Lido pool. The pools have a larger tiled area where the water overflows which would be a great area for your child.

Enjoy your vacation whatever you choose. We have never regretted spending our vacation dollars on HAL...despite a few nay sayers.

We have been sailing HAL with our children since the youngest was 7. Our children have loved HAL over other lines, even Disney. I won't repeat what others have said but in our experience if you are attentive parents who lean more towards active involvement in place of having something entertain your child you will probably enjoy HAL. There are some who try to imply that HAL is not for children but aside from a grump here or there we have not had a bad experience.

The HAL employees love to talk to parents and children. Many have not seen their own children in months and your child will garner much interest and enthusiasm. We have found that well behaved children are welcomed by 98% of those onboard.

Your child will have a bracelet to wear with your lifeboat number. This is for club HAL so not sure if she will have to have it on. Room service is free so good for night snacks, or anytime. We bring pool toys, small ones, and let the children play in the Lido pool as the Seaview pool is for adults only...apparently. The signage says children under 16 must be supervised but our experience has been it depends upon the adults onboard. On a Caribbean Cruise nobody had an issue with my son and daughter using that pool and I sat on the side but on a 20 day Panama Canal voyage one woman pushed them and told them to get out so we only used the Lido pool. The pools have a larger tiled area where the water overflows which would be a great area for your child.

Enjoy your vacation whatever you choose. We have never regretted spending our vacation dollars on HAL...despite a few nay sayers.

I just want to say I find it outrageous that an adult felt the need to bully your children by pushing them and causing a scene at the pool. And some people think that kids, even well behaved ones are the problem! Some adults certainly aren't any kind of example for children, and that is just sad. DH and I are older (43 & 53) and we have no children of our own, but we have never been bothered by children on a cruise. Families pay good money to travel, and you all deserve to have fun too, you paid for that privelege! Children are small people after all, and they have the right to be most places (no smoky bars please, that's just awkward) and not be harrassed. How are are they going to learn to behave in society if they are shut up in a room all the time? To the OP - I hope your family has a good time, whichever cruise line you choose.

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

<<snipped>>

but on a 20 day Panama Canal voyage one woman pushed them and told them to get out so we only used the Lido pool. The pools have a larger tiled area where the water overflows which would be a great area for your child.

If anyone touched anyone or anything of mine like that my more primordial side would show itself!

Especially if I was following the rules and that person took it upon themselves to add a personal addendum.

Back to the OP, HAL is a great line but it might be a little less sedate than your history. I know there are personal stories of children having a great time, but likelihood is against you.

Think of it like looking for a tiger... more apt to see one in the wilds of Asia or on the surface of the Moon. Yeah, **maybe** there might be one on the Moon, but you're more apt to find in the Asian jungles.

Same w fun on board for your chickabiddy comparing HAL to the other lines.

Honest truth there.

Go! It will work out just fine for a 7 day cruise. Follow some of the hints the people above have listed: toys, amusements etc. Try to keep the same bedtime and naptimes that you do usually. Yes, you may have to attend a show or play bingo without your mate but this is what parents do anyway. If the child is cranky during a dining room meal, leave with the child and eat it your room or the Lido. You can work it out because you are a parent and know how to do these things. You know your child! Enjoy and let us know.:)

Go! It will work out just fine for a 7 day cruise. Follow some of the hints the people above have listed: toys, amusements etc. Try to keep the same bedtime and naptimes that you do usually. Yes, you may have to attend a show or play bingo without your mate but this is what parents do anyway. If the child is cranky during a dining room meal, leave with the child and eat it your room or the Lido. You can work it out because you are a parent and know how to do these things. You know your child! Enjoy and let us know.:)

Yes THIS ^ :D :D

We've taken our grandchildren with us on HAL from the age of six months on. (Their parents were with us. :)) We have always had good experiences. The waiters have been great at getting their food out quickly. We have always found a place for the kids to play a bit, without being in anyone's way or disturbing anyone. We do, however, spend port time off the ship and most often on private tours so we can adjust as needed. So, aside from sea days we aren't on the ship for long stretches. We frequently have breakfast delivered to the rooms when we need to get off the ship early for a tour. It's nice to be able to get a hot breakfast delivered to the room.

I wouldn't be worried about giving HAL a try.

I find it interesting that all of those with actual, personal experiences bringing children (even toddlers) on HAL are happy with their experiences. And the nay-sayers just have generic things to say like, "They'll be happier on other lines."

I recall when we sailed the Veendam to Bermuda, there was young couple with an active toddler sailing with extended family. That little boy was a joy to see! He spent a lot of time with his family in the pool area under their watchful eyes, and I don't recall any issues at all whenever I saw him.

Of course, I give his parents and family the credit for making sure the passengers surrounding them were never 'bothered'. The youngster was quite well behaved for a toddler and always smiled.