Off Silhouette Last Friday (22nd), Some Comments

scottie99

My first gripe concerns the purchase of a 4 night dining package at $250, only to be charged $275 because of 'Spanish Tax'. I accept the tax is mandatory, but I complained to Celebrity that they have a duty to inform guests that the tax will be charged. Guests can then decide if they still want to go ahead.

I found Celebrity were not interested in accepting my point and their reply was quite patronising.

As part of this package, we chose to dine one evening in the Lawn Club Grill. Unfortunately the day we chose was the coolest day of the cruise. As mid afternoon temperatures were only 17 deg, it should have been obvious to them that dining in an outdoor venue that evening was going to be too uncomfortable. They should have cancelled and let us reschedule. We tried hard to endure the cold conditions, even returning to the cabin for jackets, but eventually had to give up and leave mid meal.

This takes me on to our next concern. I complained in writing that our money was wasted on this meal (I really felt we were due a refund). However Guest Relations only past our complaint back to the Lawn Club manager, rather than the Hotel Director. The LC manager duly defended his position ( nicely) and dismissed our complaint.

We also felt the standard of entertainment was very low.

The 3 guys on first night who made 'drumming noises etc' were mildly interesting for 10 minutes, but for a full show? No thanks

Similarly, the guy who did card tricks for 45 minutes was mind numbing.

It was also a concern that any alternative music was played in the atrium, rather than a comfortable lounge.

We also could not understand why the ship overnighted in Ibiza , not the most interesting of places.

Transfers in each port were expensive.

Lots of other moans, but these will do for starters!

I'm sorry you had a less than satisfactory experience :(

Regarding the speciality restaurant charge - where were you when you booked this package? On shore or onboard? I think some of the problem stems from the fact that we UK peeps are used to all taxes being included in the advertised price by law. So, unlike our USA cousins, we are somewhat taken aback when taxes are added afterwards!

As part of this package, we chose to dine one evening in the Lawn Club Grill. Unfortunately the day we chose was the coolest day of the cruise. As mid afternoon temperatures were only 17 deg, it should have been obvious to them that dining in an outdoor venue that evening was going to be too uncomfortable. They should have cancelled and let us reschedule. We tried hard to endure the cold conditions, even returning to the cabin for jackets, but eventually had to give up and leave mid meal.

Did you try to cancel? I've not booked a package but when I have made reservations at any of the specialty restaurants I have been able to cancel/reschedule with no issue.

Some of these issues apparently were not handled well by Cruise line..esp pricing with VAT...we never take VAT tax cruises!

We have learned LCG can be iffy weather and windy even with the plastic flaps.....we try to go on a late port night....eat early, catch the sunset and then sail away..Have been up there in wind and rain...awful to get soaked heading back to the elevator...we bring windbreakers...! But we do enjoy the LCG and plan to return in Jan on Silho

The entertainment quality is fairly concerning, but hopefully it will be better in the Caribbean...we never expect much from X in this area anyhow..

What music if any did they have in the Ensemble Lounge, upstairs club,? Were there any special events or positive highlights?

I'm sorry you had a less than satisfactory experience :(

Regarding the speciality restaurant charge - where were you when you booked this package? On shore or onboard? I think some of the problem stems from the fact that we UK peeps are used to all taxes being included in the advertised price by law. So, unlike our USA cousins, we are somewhat taken aback when taxes are added afterwards!

We were just aboard about 10 minutes and had no way of knowing that tax was to be added to every purchase.

My point is that Celeb were duty bound to inform us at point of purchase that tax was to be added. We could then decide whether to proceed or not.

Did you try to cancel? I've not booked a package but when I have made reservations at any of the specialty restaurants I have been able to cancel/reschedule with no issue.

At the start of the meal, it was just about bearable. It quickly deteriorated.

I accept we should have voiced our concerns earlier

The 3 guys on first night who made 'drumming noises etc' were mildly interesting for 10 minutes, but for a full show? No thanks

It was also a concern that any alternative music was played in the atrium, rather than a comfortable lounge.

We also could not understand why the ship overnighted in Ibiza , not the most interesting of places.

A few of your comments were similar to ones made on our roll call after our Med Reflection cruise this past summer. Namely, the poor shows, expensive transfers at many of the ports, and Ibiza was not one of the most popular ports (we luckily didn't stop overnight).

Just for comparison, were cans of soda offered on your Classic beverage package on Silhouette or was that only for those on the Premium? We found the ship to be full to bursting on Reflection, so much so that the lawn was covered with bodies on towels (and I mean inches apart) on sea days - never seen that previously on any X sailing.

We didn't have the tax issue as Gibraltar was on our itinerary. The service in the MDR was very good on our sailing. What was yours like as I notice you did say there were other moans?

We were on the Silhouette Baltic cruise 23rd August. Cans available on classic package.

So it only appears that Reflection have not been providing cans over the summer in the Med. Strange the policy is only being adhered to on one ship in the fleet :confused:?

We were on the Silhouette Baltic cruise 23rd August. Cans available on classic package.

Have you written a review ? I would be interested in your opinion of the ship’s Tours. We will be cruising to the Baltic 23.06.18.

To the OP

It seems that you didn’t have a very good CD. I have heard that Sue Denning is joking the ship soon, I’m sure there will be a noticeable difference.

As part of this package, we chose to dine one evening in the Lawn Club Grill. Unfortunately the day we chose was the coolest day of the cruise. As mid afternoon temperatures were only 17 deg,

Was it 17 C or 17F? On cool nights they had closed the area with the "flaps" that surround the area. They also handed out blankets. Did they not do this for your group?

My first gripe concerns the purchase of a 4 night dining package at $250, only to be charged $275 because of 'Spanish Tax'. I accept the tax is mandatory, but I complained to Celebrity that they have a duty to inform guests that the tax will be charged. Guests can then decide if they still want to go ahead.

I found Celebrity were not interested in accepting my point and their reply was quite patronising.

This takes me on to our next concern. I complained in writing that our money was wasted on this meal (I really felt we were due a refund). However Guest Relations only past our complaint back to the Lawn Club manager, rather than the Hotel Director. The LC manager duly defended his position ( nicely) and dismissed our complaint.

Very concerning as we sail on her next month. Who was the Captain and CD-I think they are both changing. How much were port transfers?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on that cruise (returned 9/22) and had a great time. We ate in the Lawn Club Grill twice and had great dinners. The first night was chilly and they provided blankets if you wanted them. Didn't eat there on one of the few colder nights.

Entertainment was ok....went to the acapella group the first night and enjoyed it...the only other show we went to was the hypnotist who we though was really good.

Agree that there was no need to spend two days in Ibiza. As far as transfers, we only did one ship excursion which we thought was reasonably priced and otherwise arranged everything else w/ people we met in our roll call online beforehand.

It seemed like there was music playing in lots of venues...the main atrium but also in different lounges as well.

It's funny how different people can walk away from the same experience w/ completely different views....we loved our vacation.

We were just aboard about 10 minutes and had no way of knowing that tax was to be added to every purchase.

My point is that Celeb were duty bound to inform us at point of purchase that tax was to be added. We could then decide whether to proceed or not.

Wasn't the $25 tax shown on the purchase receipt you were given to sign? At that you could have changed your mind and said No thanks. We have learned to purchase dining packages, beverage packages, etc before we go when we are sailing in Spain so that the VAT doesn't apply.

Wasn't the $25 tax shown on the purchase receipt you were given to sign? At that you could have changed your mind and said No thanks. We have learned to purchase dining packages, beverage packages, etc before we go when we are sailing in Spain so that the VAT doesn't apply.

No, it wasn't, that was one of my main points in my complaint, it showed $250.

I tried to buy package online prior to travelling, but system kept rejecting application

Very concerning as we sail on her next month. Who was the Captain and CD-I think they are both changing. How much were port transfers?

Sorry, unsure of their names, CD was English girl and Captain was Greek, he was very funny in his addresses.

In Marseille, transfer was 20€ pp,and Ibiza, 10€ pp

A few of your comments were similar to ones made on our roll call after our Med Reflection cruise this past summer. Namely, the poor shows, expensive transfers at many of the ports, and Ibiza was not one of the most popular ports (we luckily didn't stop overnight).

Just for comparison, were cans of soda offered on your Classic beverage package on Silhouette or was that only for those on the Premium? We found the ship to be full to bursting on Reflection, so much so that the lawn was covered with bodies on towels (and I mean inches apart) on sea days - never seen that previously on any X sailing.

We didn't have the tax issue as Gibraltar was on our itinerary. The service in the MDR was very good on our sailing. What was yours like as I notice you did say there were other moans?

Cans were readily available

Have you written a review ? I would be interested in your opinion of the ship’s Tours. We will be cruising to the Baltic 23.06.18.

No I didn't write a review. We did mainly ships tours this cruise. Berlin and concentration camp by train was a long but excellent day.

Russia 2 day tour of st Petersburg. Immigration was an experience but only on first day. I can list the exact trips we did at all ports if you are interested. Overall ships tours were well organised and exactly as described.

Russia 2 day tour of st Petersburg. Immigration was an experience but only on first day. I can list the exact trips we did at all ports if you are interested. Overall ships tours were well organised and exactly as described.

Many thanks.

I am leaning towards the ship’s tours for St Petersburg, as we have been to the Baltic before, so I want to do something different. Ive found one which goes inside Peterhof, which we didn’t do last time, I’ve also read that next year, the tour vans of Alla, SPB etc will not be allowed into the port until the buses from the ship’s tours are cleared, so it’s good to know that you thought the ship’s tours were well organised.

Sorry, unsure of their names, CD was English girl and Captain was Greek, he was very funny in his addresses.

In Marseille, transfer was 20€ pp,and Ibiza, 10€ pp

Trying to update Silhouette "who's on board" thread so if anyone from this cruise had more specific information it would be helpful.

We will be taking transfer in Ibiza-that does seem a bit pricey but if it isn't walkable I guess there is no choice!

Thanks

Many thanks.

I am leaning towards the ship’s tours for St Petersburg, as we have been to the Baltic before, so I want to do something different. Ive found one which goes inside Peterhof, which we didn’t do last time, I’ve also read that next year, the tour vans of Alla, SPB etc will not be allowed into the port until the buses from the ship’s tours are cleared, so it’s good to know that you thought the ship’s tours were well organised.

We did the gardens wow! But the peterhof was closed (not that we were due To go in). I found that the guides were very knowledgeable. The coach had 36 passengers and 2 guides so we had group of 18. Very late back due to traffic (40 mins) but no problem. I do know that the ship tours were off first and that express breakfasts were available.

Are shuttle busses provide free of charge, or do Celebrity charge everyone for them?

Celebrity charge everyone, there were no free shuttle.

Even the port shuttle in Livorno, which has always been free ( as you cannot walk out the docks on your own) was 5 euro