Feeling a bit screwed over by RC, Irma safety/risk issue and no-refund, greed?

lowsidr

Set to sail on the Allure September 10th. IRMA, not going to happen, RC chooses not to cancel the cruise but to delay departure till Wednesday the 13th and shorten duration to 4 day's instead of 7. A 50% refundable on-board credit to whom choose to sail on the 13th along with an additional 50% credit for a future booking. The above is gracious and in my opinion more than fair. Unfortunately, if you CANNOT cruise on the 13th there will be no refund, no future incentive, just your fare credit applied to a future cruise with Royal.

Other recent cruises have been cancelled due to IRMA and customers have been given a full refund to the method they paid and are being offered an additional 25% credit if they book another RC cruise within 30 days. This I also feel is fair and considerate.

Where I take issue is the fact that my paid in full 7 day cruise is essentially cancelled but a full refund is not an option. I find myself in a position of my cruise fare being held hostage without compensation unless I put myself and my family at risk attempting to depart on the 13th. Being faced with a CAT 5 hurricane how does one actually prepare for a departure when the chances are high the port may be closed, flooded, unable to be staffed, etc.? Being frugal, still wanting to salvage some of our vacation along with benefiting from RC's generous 13th sailing incentives I'm tempted to make plans for the 13th. I know I am not alone and I understand RC wants to up it's retention and that's why the incentives are so good for the 13th. I'm one of the "lucky" ones though, I live in Naples, if my home is still standing and the port is open and everything is honky-dory, we can make that 13th date work. I'm just concerned for others that might be trying the same thing and putting themselves in harms way. Right now it's hard to find water, fuel, food, etc. If Florida gets nailed it's the last place you will want to be, especially if you don't live here.

I contacted RC about this. They were very cordial but remained firm that their customers come 1st and they take our safety seriously. I disagree, my thoughts are it's a fiscal decision that borders on recklessness. I'm sure some folks that live here in Florida could use their cruise fare to evacuate, not going to happen. Hopefully all will work out and this beast veers way east and we are all spared, including RC but for the time being I'm feeling a little less love from the folks at RC making these decisions. Can you imagine making it here for the 13th or scheduling and paying for flights/travel just to find out that the 13th sailing will be cancelled? The storm is not RC's fault but how they are handling this situation just seems flat out wrong and possibly dangerous for some. Anyone else out there feel the same?

Set to sail on the Allure September 10th. IRMA, not going to happen, RC chooses not to cancel the cruise but to delay departure till Wednesday the 13th and shorten duration to 4 day's instead of 7. . Unfortunately, if you CANNOT cruise on the 13th there will be no refund, no future incentive, just your fare credit applied to a future cruise with Royal.

If you can cruise on the 10th there is no reason you cannot cruise on the 13th. you would be on the ship already.

Anything beyond a full credit towards another cruise is just a courtesy on the part of the cruise line. We are booked on the Oasis on the 17th - we knew it was hurricane season when we booked, so have cruise insurance. Hmm... makes me wonder... if you have cruise insurance and cancel totally - does insurance reimburse? Or do you only get the credit from RC. What they are offering for the 13th is a sweet deal if you can take advantage of it!

For me, true. For others not necessarily. What is your point? This is in regards to not being able to get a refund and being placed in a position of entering a hurricane aftermath of an incredibly powerful storm.

This response was intended for Tag. Thank you everyone else.

I see so many people complaining about the cruiselines not giving them all their money back.

This is what Trip insurance is for. A cruiseline (or any vacation) is not there to hand money out if something out of their control happens.

We all should know the ramifications of booking trips and cancellation fees, and trip insurance is very cheap. I just paid 100 bucks for 3 of us for our Allure trip 10/1 a few weeks ago. So glad I have that peace of mind and will not be worrying about problems if they arise. That's my responsibility as a consumer.

Would you drive your car without insurance? I have been in the insurance industry for 30 years and have seen more people than I can count try to save a few bucks on insurance (of any kind) and pay an immense price for it in the end.

Wait a few days, the shortened cruise on the 13th may not happen.

My thoughts as well. Like I said, i'm lucky, if it's possible I will make the 13th. The no-refund thing just bent me out of shape. We'll see what happens. RC is still my favorite cruise-line....

I feel the need to jump in here. You've booked a week long cruise leaving on the 10th. RC is attempting to be accomodating by offering the discounts and sailing on a shortened itinerary departing on the 13th. You said that "if you cannot cruise on the 13th".... if you booked a week long voyage, why wouldn't be able to cruise on the 13th? Assume such people work and have booked holidays, the 13th shouldn't be an issue in departing on that date.

Now, to address the safety concerns and deeper issues, sure you have a point, but if passengers choose to cruise, that's up to them due to the acommodations that RC is making. Granted, it's not RC's fault that the hurricane occurred, however, they are making accomodations.

I'm on a March break cruise with the family and as of now, St. Maarten no longer exists, and St. Kitts and Antigua probably won't be there either. I'm sure by then, RC will make accomodations......otherwise,we spend the week in PR (if that's still there too).

Just my two cents.

I see so many people complaining about the cruiselines not giving them all their money back.

This is what Trip insurance is for. A cruiseline (or any vacation) is not there to hand money out if something out of their control happens.

We all should know the ramifications of booking trips and cancellation fees, and trip insurance is very cheap. I just paid 100 bucks for 3 of us for our Allure trip 10/1 a few weeks ago. So glad I have that peace of mind and will not be worrying about problems if they arise. That's my responsibility as a consumer.

Would you drive your car without insurance? I have been in the insurance industry for 30 years and have seen more people than I can count try to save a few bucks on insurance (of any kind) and pay an immense price for it in the end.

The storm is not their fault, agreed. As far as the insurance is concerned, personal choice based on risk assessment. Never purchased it for a cruise before, my understanding is that even if you did you would not receive 100% of the fare back. I may be wrong. This hurricane is different than using insurance for other events that may prevent one from cruising.

I think people are forgetting that the airports may still be closed, and there is a major gas shortage in FL (and many other states) right now. Plus if your home and/or car gets destroyed in the hurricane, a cruise might not be the first thing on your mind.

I do purchase cruise insurance and I would hope I'd be covered if I were sailing in hurricane season with a hurricane heading for my departure port. Having said that, if the cruise line realizes it can't deliver what I purchased, and I know I read the contract about changing ports, meaning my 7 day cruise is reduced to 3 days, why should they not refund my money?

For many of us, it's not just a matter of reducing the number of days, it involves hotels, flights etc. The offer of OBC is totally wrong. Last week Royal made some very poor decisions which I felt left some stranded by waiting until the very last minute to say no cruise etc.

Even though Royal Caribbean has no say in the weather, they are still penalizing their customers. They can't deliver a 7 day cruise and expect passengers to say oh, well, I will find a flight etc and go for 3 days. I think this is the worst customer service and makes me think of how they only think of the almighty dollar.

Now, I just want to say that I don't have a cruise scheduled for a few months, but I do understand those who feel they are being ripped off and saying they should have insurance, isn't like saying I got a sore throat or the flu and Royal Caribbean won't refund my cruise fare.

I think Royal Caribbean's thoughts are "you pays your money and you takes your chance." Once again, I have no problem with their changing ports, but shortening the cruise or letting passengers hang is NOT good customer service.

I feel the need to jump in here. You've booked a week long cruise leaving on the 10th. RC is attempting to be accomodating by offering the discounts and sailing on a shortened itinerary departing on the 13th. You said that "if you cannot cruise on the 13th".... if you booked a week long voyage, why wouldn't be able to cruise on the 13th? Assume such people work and have booked holidays, the 13th shouldn't be an issue in departing on that date.

Now, to address the safety concerns and deeper issues, sure you have a point, but if passengers choose to cruise, that's up to them due to the acommodations that RC is making. Granted, it's not RC's fault that the hurricane occurred, however, they are making accomodations.

I'm on a March break cruise with the family and as of now, St. Maarten no longer exists, and St. Kitts and Antigua probably won't be there either. I'm sure by then, RC will make accomodations......otherwise,we spend the week in PR (if that's still there too).

Just my two cents.

I've been to many islands after a Hurricane hits, you'd be surprised for fast they get most everything back up, they want and need tourist $$$. Worst had was St Maarten was hit 20 yrs ago, Cruise ship pier was taken out but they just tendered everyone in for while. Myself, I'm set go to St Maarten, St Kitts & Antigua in Nov/Dec like I have last 5 yrs in row. Just hope they aren't hit that bad, feel for them...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Just my two cents.

A good two cents. I may have taken the 13th accommodations the wrong way, I interpreted them as incentive for retention not as a customer service. Lot's of stress due to IRMA and being a bulls-eye right now. Just found it odd they would want people trying to make a 13th sailing when it looks so bad for southern Florida right now.

I do purchase cruise insurance and I would hope I'd be covered if I were sailing in hurricane season with a hurricane heading for my departure port. Having said that, if the cruise line realizes it can't deliver what I purchased, and I know I read the contract about changing ports, meaning my 7 day cruise is reduced to 3 days, why should they not refund my money?

For many of us, it's not just a matter of reducing the number of days, it involves hotels, flights etc. The offer of OBC is totally wrong. Last week Royal made some very poor decisions which I felt left some stranded by waiting until the very last minute to say no cruise etc.

Even though Royal Caribbean has no say in the weather, they are still penalizing their customers. They can't deliver a 7 day cruise and expect passengers to say oh, well, I will find a flight etc and go for 3 days. I think this is the worst customer service and makes me think of how they only think of the almighty dollar.

Now, I just want to say that I don't have a cruise scheduled for a few months, but I do understand those who feel they are being ripped off and saying they should have insurance, isn't like saying I got a sore throat or the flu and Royal Caribbean won't refund my cruise fare.

I think Royal Caribbean's thoughts are "you pays your money and you takes your chance." Once again, I have no problem with their changing ports, but shortening the cruise or letting passengers hang is NOT good customer service.

The waiting for the last moment thing is spot-on. Leaves people in the lurch and out more than just the fare. I'm lucky, it's just a hop across alligator alley. Other's are coming in from around the states and world. I say call it off and play it safe, Irma is already in the record books, this is different than other situations.

The storm is not their fault, agreed. As far as the insurance is concerned, personal choice based on risk assessment. Never purchased it for a cruise before, my understanding is that even if you did you would not receive 100% of the fare back. I may be wrong. This hurricane is different than using insurance for other events that may prevent one from cruising.

Exactly...insurance is a risk assessment....your own. Why would RCI or any vacation destination be on the line for anyone's risk assessment choices?

Yes, you would get 100% percent back.. you insure the amount you paid..plus there is trip interruption..delays etc. Insurance has a lot of benefits. Some policies even pay for changed ports.

The hurricane is no different than any other reason...in fact its a bigger reason to take it when you are cruising in hurricane season.

I think people are forgetting that the airports may still be closed, and there is a major gas shortage in FL (and many other states) right now. Plus if your home and/or car gets destroyed in the hurricane, a cruise might not be the first thing on your mind.

Exactly where I am at right now. It will take a bit of a miracle for our home to NOT sustain damage and the storm to not affect the east coast. I'm pretty confident the aftermath will prevent a 13th sailing, I am hoping we all get extremely lucky but I pity the folks coming from outside Florida trying to make the 13th a reality. I spent an hour and a half today just to fuel one vehicle.

Exactly...insurance is a risk assessment....your own. Why would RCI or any vacation destination be on the line for anyone's risk assessment choices?

Yes, you would get 100% percent back.. you insure the amount you paid..plus there is trip interruption..delays etc. Insurance has a lot of benefits. Some policies even pay for changed ports.

The hurricane is no different than any other reason...in fact its a bigger reason to take it when you are cruising in hurricane season.

Didn't know this. Thanks for the enlightenment in regards to what the insurance covers. I was under the impression it was not for 100%, thought it was around 50%.

Don't be surprised if the conditions of the offer change before the 13th. If not, I would cancel and take the offer in hand

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They did not provide a time-frame in which to cancel or book the 13th. They mentioned they were following the storm and would make adjustments accordingly.

A good two cents. I may have taken the 13th accommodations the wrong way, I interpreted them as incentive for retention not as a customer service. Lot's of stress due to IRMA and being a bulls-eye right now. Just found it odd they would want people trying to make a 13th sailing when it looks so bad for southern Florida right now.

A majority of passengers are probably from outside of Florida. I'm sure a lot of them are happy that the ships are still sailing and they have a vacation to enjoy.

IMO, their offer is a pretty good one - sail and you essentially get a free 4-5 night cruise.

If you read the contract, they are doing what they said they would do, which is offer you a vacation if possible. They clearly state they may have to alter the itinerary or sailing dates for various reasons. Per the letter of the contract, if they're sailing and you're not on the ship, they keep your fare. Anything outside of that is them being generous. This is what trip insurance is for.

Didn't know this. Thanks for the enlightenment in regards to what the insurance covers. I was under the impression it was not for 100%, thought it was around 50%.

Their "cancel for any reason" insurance covers 75% of the trip cost should you cancel for a non-covered reason. I believe this comes in the form of a future cruise certificate. If you cancel for a covered reason you receive 100%. As already mentioned, there are additional coverages for trip delays, lost luggage, medical care, etc.

Every insurance policy offers different coverage. It's important to find a policy that covers everything YOU would want it to. We always drive to port so I don't need flight delay coverage. Others may have evacuation coverage elsewhere so they don't need that. Some require you to pay extra for cancel for any reason, and it may have to be within a certain time frame.

I've been to many islands after a Hurricane hits, you'd be surprised for fast they get most everything back up, they want and need tourist $$$. Worst had was St Maarten was hit 20 yrs ago, Cruise ship pier was taken out but they just tendered everyone in for while. Myself, I'm set go to St Maarten, St Kitts & Antigua in Nov/Dec like I have last 5 yrs in row. Just hope they aren't hit that bad, feel for them...

Agree. We were in St. Thomas a month after Hurricane David in 1979 hit St. Thomas. They sustained a lot of damage, but the island was open to tourists and we had a great time. We are also scheduled on the Allure in November with a St. Kitts stop and we hope the port is open for business. If not, Royal will take us elsewhere which will be ok with us.