Emergency contact on board ship

We are taking a 16 day transatlantic on the Serenade, and will be out of contact for half of those days. We don't expect any emergencies, but one seldom does. I called RCI and was given a number, 888-724-7447, that family can call. They will be prompted to give the name of the ship - then they have to give a credit card number with a charge of $7.95/minute!! The call then gets routed to the ship, where they will try to call our cabin; if we are not there, a message will be taken.

We have no intention of buying the internet package. Is this the only option? I guess it's just that in an emergency, I'd hate to have someone fumbling for a credit card in order to deliver bad news.

Really think about why someone would need to call you. You are out in the ocean and wouldn't be able to do much but worry about the situation. I would expect you would have a list of things that are absolutely you must call me and those that might be "I can't do anything about it, so don't call me until we are back and I might be able to do something about it." Tell your contact at home which are must call and those that can wait.

We are taking a 16 day transatlantic on the Serenade, and will be out of contact for half of those days. We don't expect any emergencies, but one seldom does. I called RCI and was given a number, 888-724-7447, that family can call. They will be prompted to give the name of the ship - then they have to give a credit card number with a charge of $7.95/minute!! The call then gets routed to the ship, where they will try to call our cabin; if we are not there, a message will be taken.

We have no intention of buying the internet package. Is this the only option? I guess it's just that in an emergency, I'd hate to have someone fumbling for a credit card in order to deliver bad news.

Yes, that's the only option unless you want to leave your phone on and use Cellular at Sea for $2.49 per minute for voice and $0.50 per text, assuming you have a regular AT&T account and not a prepaid account. Other carriers may be different.

Yes, that's the only option unless you want to leave your phone on and use Cellular at Sea for $2.49 per minute for voice and $0.50 per text, assuming you have a regular AT&T account and not a prepaid account. Other carriers may be different.

That's an interesting option - there is no charge if you do not use it, you just leave your phone on?

The other option would be to use your cell phone.

On a few cruises I have received "emergency" calls. On occasion, a message is left on the cabin phone. But I do remember once guest services actually found me in one of the restaurants.

That's an interesting option - there is no charge if you do not use it, you just leave your phone on?

I believe you will be charged $0.05 per text received and possibly $2.49 for each call that rings your phone, whether you answer or not. Also, if you do opt for this, I would turn off cellular data.

I tell my kids to text me and will check my phone once a day. Years ago, when I was working full time, I was actually able to get the ship''s fax number for my office to use if essential, never was. Have never had emergency calls, thankfully but know what you. BTW we will be on the same cruise.

One more thing. Remember to turn off roaming if you use your cell phone at all. Those charges can mount up.

We are taking a 16 day transatlantic on the Serenade.....

First of all, nice!! :):):)

The call then gets routed to the ship, where they will try to call our cabin; if we are not there, a message will be taken....

I recall a thread on here a while back where the emergency message did not get taken, or it was lost, somehow... anyway, there had been a death in the family and the passengers were not notified via the "RCI way". I would not use this method. In the event of an emergency and to get routed to the ship, I think it will take a long time... like 10 minutes if not longer... that is an expensive call. Try a cell plan or use the free WiFi available in many ports.