Military Benefit changes

Scorpio41

Just booked a cruise and asked for the Military benefit to be added and was told you need to hold a Defence discount card. A paid for card.

Whats wrong with discharge information provided sine the benefit was introduced.

You have no choice but to buy the card if you want the Military OBC.

As of the 1st March 2018 Military Benefits can only be applied to a booking if you are registered with Defence Discount Service and have a Defence Privilege Card.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/military

• Like 1

Just booked a cruise and asked for the Military benefit to be added and was told you need to hold a Defence discount card. A paid for card.

Whats wrong with discharge information provided sine the benefit was introduced.

As of the 1st March 2018 Military Benefits can only be applied to a booking if you are registered with Defence Discount Service and have a Defence Privilege Card.

Yes I have picked up on that...maybe they had people asking and getting it, that were nothing to do with the military. They always used to say take proof, but no one ever asked for it. Just tightening up I guess.

It's only £5 though isn't it? And as already mentioned, can be used for other (small) discounts elsewhere. What is a more significant change is that you can no longer combine it with other benefits like obc from a ship's visit or on-board booking. You get the larger benefit of the two but not both.

Yes I have picked up on that...maybe they had people asking and getting it, that were nothing to do with the military. They always used to say take proof, but no one ever asked for it. Just tightening up I guess.

They did I think, I know people that worked for the MOD were posting saying they had got the OBC. Also presumably people that had nothing to do with the military might have been trying it on.

As you say, they said to take proof, and we always took my husband’s little red book ( his discharge book) but no one ever asked to see it. The first time I went to reception and offered it over but they just “it’s okay we already have it down”.

That’s a bit off not combining the MOBC with the other OBC.

We were surprised about the card as with Princess they just wanted a copy of the discharge letter.

Not a problem getting the card, registered Monday arrived today.

That’s a bit off not combining the MOBC with the other OBC.

We were surprised about the card as with Princess they just wanted a copy of the discharge letter.

Not a problem getting the card, registered Monday arrived today.

As I understand it, it depends on the type of obc. This is from their FAQs - and confirms your original post re needing to have the card but also lists the the types of obc which cannot be combined with the Military Benefit.

Military Promotions are not combinable with certain promotional fares including, Early Savers, Savers, Onboard booking, Thank You For Cruising promotions, Ship Visit and partnership benefits, if you have any queries on combinability, please call our Customer Contact Centre.

• 1 year later...

The defence discount service is excellent we have saved quite a bit in the few years that hubby has used it. We use it for discount off a hotel the night before a cruise, 10% off Royal Caribbean cruise, cheaper cinema tickets, regularly use for discount when eating out.  Very useful card and online discount.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't understand why the forces get a discount.  If they do, why don't the Fire Service, the Police, the Ambulance service etc.?

There are many different schemes out there for the services, my dad is a prison officer so he gets similar discounts that Flo71 has mentioned (cinema, mobile contracts etc...) but he has never got P&O or other cruise line discounts. I believe these are solely for the military and I can understand why as alot of forces members are either deployed or away from their families alot, with not much family time - and often they get dictated to when any holiday time is. 

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't understand why the forces get a discount.  If they do, why don't the Fire Service, the Police, the Ambulance service etc.?

Fire, Police and NHS workers can apply for the Blue Light card which will give the same level of obc as the Military Defence card.

Edited by flapjack62
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, flapjack62 said:

Fire, Police and NHS workers can apply for the Blue Light card which will give the same level of obc as the Military Defence card.

They might get offers through Blue Light Card but Carnival offer a Military benefit on all their ships including P&O but this does not include Fire, Police and NHS workers you are talking about a different credit. You also for the Blue Light Card have to book direct with P&O and not through a TA.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Firstly please allow me to say it is not a 'discount' but an award of additional On Board Credit.

You may also find that it actually originated when 'Carnival' bought in turn Cunard and P&O.

Originally being  a totally  American cruise company, with the US generally holding their military with such high regard, it has long been  an attraction for US Companies to offer military perks.

All I can really add is that it is a benefit that I and my wife (we both served to pension age in the Royal Navy) have enjoyed on both Cunard and P&O and when we sailed 2 years ago with Carnival...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2018/02/09/carnival-dream-a-very-pleasant-surprise/

... we did then receive a 'discounted' cruise price as opposed to OBC.

To give you some idea of its popularity here we both are at a 'Carnival' Veteran's gathering onboard...

1149556412_VeteransGathering1.thumb.jpg.3c9e764ed88f8dcaff86c38c083341e8.jpg

Footnote: when I went along to the Photo Gallery to purchase the above photograph the staff member refused to accept my cruise card in payment. He just said 'thank you'.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, majortom10 said:

They might get offers through Blue Light Card but Carnival offer a Military benefit on all their ships including P&O but this does not include Fire, Police and NHS workers you are talking about a different credit. You also for the Blue Light Card have to book direct with P&O and not through a TA.

I am not sure what you mean by Military Benefit in that case, I have always received additional obc equivalent to that received in respect of the Defence card, purely because I work for the NHS. I am now a bit confused by the difference? 

4 hours ago, flapjack62 said:

I am not sure what you mean by Military Benefit in that case, I have always received additional obc equivalent to that received in respect of the Defence card, purely because I work for the NHS. I am now a bit confused by the difference? 

You get extra OBC using the Blue Light Card but you have to book direct with P&O, Military benefits can only be applied to a booking if you are registered with Defence discount service and have a Defence Privilege Card. If you look on P&Os website under FAQ under Miscellaneous it gives a list of personnel applicable and does not include any emergency service or NHS worker. They are 2 different schemes.

7 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

You get extra OBC using the Blue Light Card but you have to book direct with P&O, Military benefits can only be applied to a booking if you are registered with Defence discount service and have a Defence Privilege Card. If you look on P&Os website under FAQ under Miscellaneous it gives a list of personnel applicable and does not include any emergency service or NHS worker. They are 2 different schemes.

Majortom10 thank you  :) 

• Like 1

Why do Military get some discounts? ask the companies involved - some do it cos owned by americans - some for publicity - some offer it but the offer same thing to other groups just under a different name, including but not limited to emergency service unions - health schemes etc. they will all have their criteria. Most of the discounts offered to Military are given to other groups as well. 

Personally i served in the Royal Navy, was under their control 24/7 365 - spent long periods away from home and family oh and had effectively signed my life in defense of our governments interest. Its nice to have a discount, does not affect who i cruise with. My father was in the fire brigade and did a great job for others for many years...  lots of people do worthwhile jobs, those who get discounts wont say no and generally say thanks.... 

On 10/3/2018 at 5:16 PM, Scorpio41 said:

T

On 10/29/2019 at 8:24 PM, jeanlyon said:

They have a scheme called the Bluelight