UBP as a perk....3rd person in cabin?

mollanjake

We will be new to NCL, are looking at a spring break (March 2019)cruise on the Breakaway. Trying to figure out which promos to choose. Will be 3 in our cabin The cruise already has free unlimited Wifi.

we will likely go with a dining package and pay for my daughters meals.

If we choose the UBP, will they add a soda package for my 14 yo daughter? It doesn't look like it adds it to the booking, but I haven't added passengers.

We think we'd drink enough cocktails to make paying the gratuities worthwhile, but not sure it will be if we have to pay for a soda package. DD is not a soda drinker, but does enjoy non-alcoholic cocktails.

Thanks in advance!

When you receive the Free at Sea UBP promo as a chosen perk, you are not required to purchase the soda package for your daughter. Had you outright purchased the UBP, then they would require a drink package for all in the cabin, and with her being a minor (I assume), the soda package would be that option. Don't fully understand the reasoning behind this, however, it is what it is.

The 20% "gratuity"on the UBP (which doesn't really go to the staff, btw) is a dirty trick.

Basically the "free" beverage package is costing you $20 per day -- which still makes NCL money.

Sure, it's a lot cheaper than it used to be to buy it outright, but they realized that the drinks are so cheap for them, it's totally worth it to just include it as a promo, and have everyone who kinda wants it pay $20/day.

Plus this also justifies charging an overall higher fare, because people are now getting "free" drinks.

It's genius, actually.

Can someone verify that you cannot get Virgin cocktails with the soda package? What would cover a frozen drink for someone underage? Surely a Shirley temple would be covered, right?

No with the soda package you just get soda's no other drinks not even bottled water

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can someone verify that you cannot get Virgin cocktails with the soda package? What would cover a frozen drink for someone underage? Surely a Shirley temple would be covered, right?

You can get virgin drinks with your UBP. But you are not supposed to share.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes. Shirley Temples would be covered.

Frozen drinks.......what kind? It might depend on the bartender and whether you are tipping with cash.

We will be new to NCL, are looking at a spring break (March 2019)cruise on the Breakaway. Trying to figure out which promos to choose. Will be 3 in our cabin The cruise already has free unlimited Wifi.

we will likely go with a dining package and pay for my daughters meals.

If we choose the UBP, will they add a soda package for my 14 yo daughter? It doesn't look like it adds it to the booking, but I haven't added passengers.

We think we'd drink enough cocktails to make paying the gratuities worthwhile, but not sure it will be if we have to pay for a soda package. DD is not a soda drinker, but does enjoy non-alcoholic cocktails.

Thanks in advance!

You do NOT have to purchase the soda package for the 3rd passenger. You may if you want to, but it is not required. The soda package will not cover virgin cocktails.

The 20% "gratuity"on the UBP (which doesn't really go to the staff, btw) is a dirty trick.

Basically the "free" beverage package is costing you $20 per day -- which still makes NCL money.

Sure, it's a lot cheaper than it used to be to buy it outright, but they realized that the drinks are so cheap for them, it's totally worth it to just include it as a promo, and have everyone who kinda wants it pay $20/day.

Plus this also justifies charging an overall higher fare, because people are now getting "free" drinks.

It's genius, actually.

There is NO gratuity on the UBO, there is a service charge that goes to NCL. NCL uses a different salary structure than most cruise lines, and crew is paid a higher salary than you expect. The only gratuities that they get are ones that you give them directly.

A Shirley Temple is covered because it is basically a soda with a syrup added. Frozen drinks are not covered by the soda package. Why? Who knows but that is NCL's rule.

A Shirley Temple is covered because it is basically a soda with a syrup added. Frozen drinks are not covered by the soda package. Why? Who knows but that is NCL's rule.

A virgin frozen drink costs twice as much as a Shirley temple to purchase.

There is NO gratuity on the UBO, there is a service charge that goes to NCL. NCL uses a different salary structure than most cruise lines, and crew is paid a higher salary than you expect. The only gratuities that they get are ones that you give them directly.

I know that this topic comes up often (gratuity vs. service charge vs. tip) but NCL uses the terms in any way that they choose.

If booking today, the words will be "Free at Sea Offer Gratuities".

I'm not making a statement as to where the money goes. My point is that NCL uses the words even if the meanings differ.