Miami Hotel Comparisons

macdon9876

Apologies for yet another hotel thread. I'm hoping for a fairly specific recommendation.

We'll be sailing on MSC Seaside this summer with our two boys (both under ten) and the grandparents. We'll be flying early and landing mid-afternoon at FLL, so when we arrive at our hotel we'll want to relax, enjoy a hotel pool, and grab a quick, easy bite to eat for supper nearby. We'll also want to visit a pharmacy or Target, etc.

We stayed at a Holiday Inn on the A1A in Fort Lauderdale a few years ago, and the location of this hotel was fantastic. It was close to the port, had a variety of family-friendly restaurants within easy walking distance, and it was a safe area. The only thing this hotel didn't have was a pool.

Is there a location in Miami that would have a similar profile? We were initially looking at the Hampton Inn Brickell in downtown Miami, but I'm wondering if the area is a bit too "trendy" for what we're looking for. It's hard to tell from Google Maps and Street View, but it seems to have restaurants like Morton's that we just won't want to get dressed up for after such a long travel day. Do I have the wrong impression of this area?

Our preference is to stay in Miami, just to make the trip to the POM easier the next day. However, staying in Fort Lauderdale isn't out of the question.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Coconut Grove and Coral Gables are both more laid back than downtown and both have walkable, casual options.

I wouldn't stay in Fort Lauderdale for a Miami cruise unless you are flying in and out of there.

Blue Herons.....I trust your advice completely!!

We are taking our first trip out of Miami in November. I have booked the Hampton Inn Brickell for the night before our cruise.

It is a little pricy, but I wanted to be in a good area.

Please tell me that it will be good for our stay the night before the cruise.

We are taking our first trip out of Miami in November. I have booked the Hampton Inn Brickell for the night before our cruise.

I'm not Blue Herons but do live in Brickell. And yes, it's a good area! And it's a great area for the night before a cruise.

You will love your hotel. It's in great shape and really clean. Perfect location for walking to so many things. Make sure you check out Brickell Citi Centre. Lots of restaurants and 2 Italian Food Halls. Great shopping.

Apologies for yet another hotel thread. I'm hoping for a fairly specific recommendation.

We'll be sailing on MSC Seaside this summer with our two boys (both under ten) and the grandparents. We'll be flying early and landing mid-afternoon at FLL, so when we arrive at our hotel we'll want to relax, enjoy a hotel pool, and grab a quick, easy bite to eat for supper nearby. We'll also want to visit a pharmacy or Target, etc.

We stayed at a Holiday Inn on the A1A in Fort Lauderdale a few years ago, and the location of this hotel was fantastic. It was close to the port, had a variety of family-friendly restaurants within easy walking distance, and it was a safe area. The only thing this hotel didn't have was a pool.

Is there a location in Miami that would have a similar profile? We were initially looking at the Hampton Inn Brickell in downtown Miami, but I'm wondering if the area is a bit too "trendy" for what we're looking for. It's hard to tell from Google Maps and Street View, but it seems to have restaurants like Morton's that we just won't want to get dressed up for after such a long travel day. Do I have the wrong impression of this area?

Our preference is to stay in Miami, just to make the trip to the POM easier the next day. However, staying in Fort Lauderdale isn't out of the question.

Thanks for any suggestions!

If you do come stay in Brickell there are a lot of options where you won't have to get dressed up. From burgers to tacos to pizza & Italian. Lots of places that you can go to in shorts that are very casual and kid friendly. You will also be able to walk to CVS, Walgreens and 2 Publix grocery stores.

I highly recommend both the Hampton Inn and the nearby area.

The good thing about that area is there is lots of choices from low priced, medium priced, high priced, casual dining, formal dining restaurants to choose from. There are many at and near Brickell Village and the relatively new Brickell Centre. You will have tremendous choice.

It's a very nice part of town.

Keith

I agree with the above, but if you want to stay closer to POM (some with a view of the port :cool:) check out the Holiday Inn POM, Hyatt, Intercontinental, Doubletree and the next door Marriott. All are very close to Bayside Market.

How far from the port is the Hampton Inn Brickell?

We will have our car and will be parking at the port and will be boarding the day after Thanksgiving for a 9 day on the Navigator.

About 3 miles -- plan on about a 15 min drive, depending on traffic.

We will have our car and will be parking at the port and will be boarding the day after Thanksgiving for a 9 day on the Navigator.

When comparing hotels costs don't forget to include the parking fee. They can get quite high in Miami but Hampton Inn looks reasonable ($22/night).

Thank you for the compliment and yes, it will be fantastic for your night before cruise.

Carolyn lives down there so I would follow her food and drink advice completely! We just hang out there once a month or so!

Go with the Hampton Inn Brickell. Miami is a trendy town, but Brickell is one of the most densely populated areas in the U.S. there is everything to eat and shop. From place that are $200/person to a burger joint down the street or a quick latin food cafeteria.

Tons of casual options for food where you can walk in with shorts and sandals. All a quick walk from the hotel. There is also two Publix stores that will have everything you need.

Thank you for the compliment and yes, it will be fantastic for your night before cruise.

Carolyn lives down there so I would follow her food and drink advice completely! We just hang out there once a month or so!

You are both awesome!!

Thank you so much!!

If you go to Hilton Honors and sign up for that reward club (free), you can get a bit of a price break most nights. Too you'll get a couple welcome drink coupons.

They do offer a shuttle to the port in the morning. But there is a per person fee...maybe 7 or 8$ per person. Not sure, never used it but have seen others waiting for that ride. If more than two, use uber for a direct, cheaper ride.

We just stayed 2 nights at Double Tree Biscayne Bay. Nice hotel, we had a small balcony with a partial view of Biscayne Bay. There are a couple of restaurants at the hotel & also connected to a mini mall with a few shops & restaurants. Public Grocery Store is a short walk away as is the Metro Mover.

Hotel has a Huge! pool. I never seen a hotel pool that large at any hotel I've stayed at. Hotel has 2 hot tubs.

How far from the port is the Hampton Inn Brickell?

A few miles and the timing will depend on which day of the week it is. Saturday and Sundays will be much quicker, especially Sundays as there is no traffic.

If you want to leave your car and the hotel during our cruise, try booking through this link.

http://www.hamptoninnmiamibrickell.com/landing/landing/lp4.php

• 3 weeks later...

Im looking for February 2019. The rates are really high! Is it due to President's weekend or just too far out?

We liked Hampton Inn Brickell, but I'm not paying $400 to stay there. In Aug, we paid $165.

Any suggestions for an alternative? Doesn't have to be in Brickell, but we like to be in walking distance of restaurants and shops. Will will not have a car.

Im looking for February 2019. The rates are really high! Is it due to President's weekend or just too far out?

We liked Hampton Inn Brickell, but I'm not paying $400 to stay there. In Aug, we paid $165.

Any suggestions for an alternative? Doesn't have to be in Brickell, but we like to be in walking distance of restaurants and shops. Will will not have a car.

August is low season - Feb is peak tourist season (everyone trying to escape the snow).

Flying into MIA or FLL? Many choose FLL for flight savings; hotels near FLL tend to be cheaper than comparable properties in Miami. ;)

Lots of other hotels in downtown Miami with nearby dining - many Marriott options, Doubletree, Holiday Inn, Hyatt, Intercontinental, etc. Book something now that you can live with and then keep shopping!

It's peak season and a holiday weekend. That's the weekend of two major boat shows, The Miami Yacht Show and the Miami International Boat show which is big. It's also the weekend of the Coconut Grove Art Festival.

August is low season - Feb is peak tourist season (everyone trying to escape the snow).

Flying into MIA or FLL? Many choose FLL for flight savings; hotels near FLL tend to be cheaper than comparable properties in Miami. ;)

Lots of other hotels in downtown Miami with nearby dining - many Marriott options, Doubletree, Holiday Inn, Hyatt, Intercontinental, etc. Book something now that you can live with and then keep shopping!

We're flying into FLL, but renting a car and heading to the keys for a few days prior to the cruise. We'd like to be in Miami, near the port the day before we sail.

How's the Blue Lagoon area? Those hotels seem reasonably priced.

It's peak season and a holiday weekend. That's the weekend of two major boat shows, The Miami Yacht Show and the Miami International Boat show which is big. It's also the weekend of the Coconut Grove Art Festival.

Thank you! This info helps greatly!

Now I understand how so many properties are unavailable that weekend. I just thought they haven't loaded the dates into the calendar yet. :D

I will book something today! Thanks again!

We're flying into FLL, but renting a car and heading to the keys for a few days prior to the cruise. We'd like to be in Miami, near the port the day before we sail.

How's the Blue Lagoon area? Those hotels seem reasonably priced.

Blue Lagoon is near the MIA airport - lots of offices and neighborhoods. We like the Homewood Suites there whenever we fly in late and just want a bed and some nearby places for last minute cruise supplies in the morning. There's a local strip mall across the street from the Hampton Inn, about a 5-10 min walk from Homewood or Hilton.

If you rent from National, Alamo, Thrifty or Enterprise and drop your car off at their MIA airport location all offer free shuttle service to/from POM.

If you get all the way to Key West try to eat at El Siboney - a great, family run Cuban spot I have been enjoying for 30+ years :D

I booked the Aloft Miami Brickell for $256. A free breakfast would have been nice, but I'm pleased with the price and the location.

Thanks again for the insider tips! I truly appreciate it!

That's great. You will be able to walk to everything in the Brickell area!

If you want the Hampton Inn or other hotels, just keep checking. They have not loaded some of the discounts into sites like LMT so you may find other choices down the road.