New to Cruising -- need some advice!

new2cruzin2018

This may seem a silly question to all you cruise veterans out there, but here goes ... My friend and I want to carry two 12-packs of soft drinks on our cruise but we are flying in to Orlando and shuttling to Port Canaveral. We would prefer not to pay to check soft drinks at the airport, and definitely don't want to put them in our luggage. Any suggestions?

After you get on board and drop off your luggage, you "MAY" have time to take a short cab ride to go pick up what you need. Depends on your flight times and how much time you have between boarding and sail away.

First and foremost, I would recommend getting to the area the day before your cruise. Don't fly in the same day.

Then you can go to a store near your hotel and get your 2 things of soda.

However if coming the day before is not an option then I would stop somewhere between the airport and the port and buy some. There may be a store inside MCO that sells them also.

The shuttle will not stop between pickup and port. If you choose to get off the ship after you check in, the cost of the cab might negate the savings of bringing your own, unless you drink a variety not available onboard. Alternatively, you could buy some on your first port call. Second alternative, for probably less than the cost of the transfers for 2, you could split the cost of a rental car, and buy on the way. At the port, drop off one person with all the luggage, the other drive to the rental place, turn in the car and get the shuttle back to the port. EM

This may seem a silly question to all you cruise veterans out there, but here goes ... My friend and I want to carry two 12-packs of soft drinks on our cruise but we are flying in to Orlando and shuttling to Port Canaveral. We would prefer not to pay to check soft drinks at the airport, and definitely don't want to put them in our luggage. Any suggestions?

If you're flying in the day of the cruise, instead of taking a shuttle bus, take a taxi or Uber from the airport and ask the driver if he could stop at a store along the way so you could purchase your sodas prior to arriving at the port. It's been a few years since we've flown into MCO, but if I recall correctly, there is a convenience store not far from the airport that you''ll pass by on the way to Port Canaveral.

Instead of taking a shuttle arrange a one-way rental from a company that offers shuttle service to the port. Pick up car at the airport, stop and get soda on the way, drop off other passengers and luggage at port, return car and take free shuttle back to the port. You can probably get a one-way rental (compact) for around $30-40 which is about what it would cost for 2 shuttle tickets, but you have flexibility and control to do whatever you want.

Is there a reason you don't want them in your suitcase besides weight? I did it the last few times without issue.

Not a good idea to put cans of soda in your checked luggage. They way that the bags get tossed around by the baggage handlers at the airport, it wouldn't take much for one (or more) of those cans to rupture and make a soggy mess in your suitcase. I suppose you could put each can individually in heavy duty zip lock bags (just in case). However, keep in mind that a 12-pack weighs about 9 lbs. But that might put your bag over the 50 lb. weight limit, depending on what else you've packed.

Instead of taking a shuttle arrange a one-way rental from a company that offers shuttle service to the port. Pick up car at the airport, stop and get soda on the way, drop off other passengers and luggage at port, return car and take free shuttle back to the port. You can probably get a one-way rental (compact) for around $30-40 which is about what it would cost for 2 shuttle tickets, but you have flexibility and control to do whatever you want.

welcome to the boards! :)

Cancel the shuttle and do this -- and be a smart cruiser and fly in at least a day early. You'd hate for a flight delay, mechanical/crew issue, or weather to cause you to miss the ship! :eek:

If you drink a lot of soda, it is totally worth getting Bottomless Bubbles. $8 a day and you can drink as many as you want. Don't have to deal with all the hassel your going through since your flying to the port day off cruise.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Forums mobile app

Carnival only sells Coke products. If you're a Coke drinker, it might be worth it. We prefer Pepsi products, and there are plenty of other cruisers that prefer something other than Coke. Although the OP didn't say, they may not be Coke drinkers either. So, for those of us that don't drink Coke products, Bottomless Bubbles is of no interest to us.

If you're flying in the day of the cruise, instead of taking a shuttle bus, take a taxi or Uber from the airport and ask the driver if he could stop at a store along the way so you could purchase your sodas prior to arriving at the port. It's been a few years since we've flown into MCO, but if I recall correctly, there is a convenience store not far from the airport that you''ll pass by on the way to Port Canaveral.

We’ve had a cab stop to pick up wine before on the way to the ship. No problem