When to book July Alaska inside passage

MudderBear

Hello. It is now September. When should I book a July Alaska inside passage? It looks like the average price for a balcony on most lines is about $2K per person. Do prices come down as we get closer to next July, or since sailing in Alaska is so time restricted, should we book now? Will rates come down between now and next say spring???:confused: Thank you!

It's just my opinion but I'd book ASAP. Balcony cabins to Alaska are very popular and as it gets closer to cruise time you might not be able to get what you want. I've had my May '18 cruise booked since December '16 so that I was able to get the cabin I wanted. I don't think Alaska cruises vary much in price as time gets closer - I could be 100% wrong... There's a limited cruise window to Alaska unlike the Caribbean which is pretty much open year round. Good luck!

Hello. It is now September. When should I book a July Alaska inside passage? It looks like the average price for a balcony on most lines is about $2K per person. Do prices come down as we get closer to next July, or since sailing in Alaska is so time restricted, should we book now? Will rates come down between now and next say spring???:confused: Thank you!

Find a good online TA that discounts and book now. You can always get your deposit refunded if you decide to do something else. We use that online service where you put in date, ship, and cabin category type and let the online TAs send us bids for prices. Note that Princess and Carnival don't allow TAs to discount but Celebrity certainly does and it probably saved me $500 per cabin.

Cheapest cruises are virtually always the last-minute ones - but are you close to a relevant port to be able to take advantage of a deal a couple of weeks or even days before it leaves?

Would you be happy with limited room choices or even a totes random Guarantee room?

Are you willing to risk the occasional cruise actually being totally sold out so no berths available at all last minute?

Air fare could be more of a price variable from your local airport to the port than the cruise fare is.

If you are super-picky about your cabin, you need to book early - if not, you can afford to wait.

If you are one of those poor souls with a crappy employer vacation policy (e.g. a long advance period required to take time off) you might also have to book early.

If you're a real risk-taker, or very flexible about cruiseline/cabin/exact route, you could easily book flights that would allow a few different cruises to be taken and then wait to book until one of them is at a great price.

TL;DR - if there was always a best time to book, everyone would book then and the cruiselines would immediately change things so it was no longer always the best time to book! So, if cruise, flight, hotel etc. are at a price YOU feel is worth it, book it.

Note that Princess and Carnival don't allow TAs to discount but Celebrity certainly does and it probably saved me $500 per cabin.

Princess allows agent to discount. They just can't advertise a discounted amount. You must contact them for their pricing.

Princess allows agent to discount. They just can't advertise a discounted amount. You must contact them for their pricing.

I got in touch with my Princess online agent and the discounts with her were the same as the other internet travel agents. There were small discounts but not close to what I'm now seeing from Celebrity and Azamara online TAs.

I got in touch with my Princess online agent and the discounts with her were the same as the other internet travel agents. There were small discounts but not close to what I'm now seeing from Celebrity and Azamara online TAs.

You are contacting the wrong agents then.

You are contacting the wrong agents then.

What do you think is a good Princess price for Alaska 7-day inside passage from Vancouver? That's what I would have done if had gotten a half decent price. The best I got from a well known online TA was $1,926 for a BF with $50 OBC on Coral Princess. Celebrity Millennium, $1,678 + two perks (one will be $300 OBC per cabin and the other will be Classic Drink package for one and WIFI for the college age kids). This was first week of June.

To be honest, I wanted the Princess itinerary with Glacier Bay over Hubbard Glacier on Millennium, but not for what would be a big difference for two cabins.

What do you think is a good Princess price for Alaska 7-day inside passage from Vancouver? .

I am not going to get into prices as there are too many factors. For example, this summer they ran sip and sail (free drinks), right now they are running 3 for free. And Princess may be more expensive in Alaska because they are more popular in Alaska (just look at amount of ships). I have never looked at Celebrity in Alaska as I hated RCCL in Alaska (lack of enrichment programs, bad times in port, etc...).

What I am saying is that Travel Agents can discount Princess well if they want to. They can take their discount right off the price of the cruise. They don't have to give OBC or write a check after which they do for RCCL brands. Agents (who discount) like Princess as they can still discount them like the old days and still give them the current perks plus group incentives.

Princes vary. I am a last minute booker so I get far better prices then people who book a year in advance.

I am not going to get into prices as there are too many factors. For example, this summer they ran sip and sail (free drinks), right now they are running 3 for free. And Princess may be more expensive in Alaska because they are more popular in Alaska (just look at amount of ships). I have never looked at Celebrity in Alaska as I hated RCCL in Alaska (lack of enrichment programs, bad times in port, etc...).

What I am saying is that Travel Agents can discount Princess well if they want to. They can take their discount right off the price of the cruise. They don't have to give OBC or write a check after which they do for RCCL brands. Agents (who discount) like Princess as they can still discount them like the old days and still give them the current perks plus group incentives.

Princes vary. I am a last minute booker so I get far better prices then people who book a year in advance.

We have used the Princess online TA based in Ohio that gives great discounts, but they fell far short for Alaska. Maybe it's just Alaska. We also don't have the luxury of booking last minute. Flights to Vancouver and from Anchorage to Boston are significant and we need to book those and car rentals early. In any case, we're getting $1400 in value (for two cabins) by using Celebrity and none of it is OBC provided by the TA. For us, that amount is worth missing Glacier Bay and going with Hubbard Glacier.

We have used the Princess online TA based in Ohio that gives great discounts, but they fell far short for Alaska. Maybe it's just Alaska. We also don't have the luxury of booking last minute. Flights to Vancouver and from Anchorage to Boston are significant and we need to book those and car rentals early. In any case, we're getting $1400 in value (for two cabins) by using Celebrity and none of it is OBC provided by the TA. For us, that amount is worth missing Glacier Bay and going with Hubbard Glacier.

I am comparing list price with my TA quotes me (how I determine the discount). I have also booked normally also. My last cruises to Alaska was booked in advance and I booked 3 weeks.

I hope you get to Hubbard. I have missed it several times. The benefit of having 2 glacier days is if you miss one, you have the other.

There are better TAs then the one in Ohio. The other one used to be good, replacement not as good. My friends have all moved on years ago. Though it is possible Celebrity is cheaper - again, they don't do as much business in Alaska and don't do Glacier Bay. You originally said Princess doesn't discount. They do in fact, which was the point I was making.

Air from where I live is probably more expensive then what you have as I don't live near a large airport.

There are better TAs then the one in Ohio.

I'll have to find a new one. To be honest, I probably will have no interest in Royal/Regal. Did Royal and wasn't crazy about it. Princess will still be in our rotation if I can get them to be price competitive with Celebrity.

As far as glaciers go, we're doing a couple of glacier excursions in case we don't make it to Hubbard. Mid June could be iffy on Hubbard.

We were able to upgrade 6 weeks out and get a balcony on our 10 night RC cruise in May for only $ 100 pp more than our original Inside. The total cost pp was $ 1,000 less than the original quote for a Balcony when we booked in October. Obviously July is peak season, so there may not be much discounting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have an August '18 booked. So far, the price has only gone up. If the dates you are looking at are during the summer (aka, school is out) you may not find much for discounts. Currently, balconies are 2x the price of inside rooms.

We're doing a round trip from Seattle, because the flights in/out of both Alaska and Vancouver were astronomical. Flights would of been more than the cruise. The round trips don't go as far up, but you still see glaciers.

We would of loved to do a one way, with a balcony, but just not in the budget. We could of done 2-3 cruises for what it would of cost.

We're doing a round trip from Seattle, because the flights in/out of both Alaska and Vancouver were astronomical. Flights would of been more than the cruise. The round trips don't go as far up, but you still see glaciers.

For those people who would prefer a Vancouver RT sailing, keep in mind that Vancouver is only 3-4 hrs from Seattle.

Options include; cruiseline bus, Quick Coach, Greyhound Bus, Bolt Bus, Amtrak Cascades train or bus, and rental car.

We got $197 one way Boston to Vancouver on United. My problem right now is return flights from Anchorage to Boston are extremely high. The good news is that we would fly overnight, saving on a hotel. Right now those flights are $353 per person. JetBlue comes out with their flights in January and the Hopper AP expects prices to drop up to $140 and closer to $200. I hope they're right.

We got $197 one way Boston to Vancouver on United. My problem right now is return flights from Anchorage to Boston are extremely high. The good news is that we would fly overnight, saving on a hotel. Right now those flights are $353 per person. JetBlue comes out with their flights in January and the Hopper AP expects prices to drop up to $140 and closer to $200. I hope they're right.

Those are really good pricing. Our airport has such high prices. It helps to live near a large airport.

Those are really good pricing. Our airport has such high prices. It helps to live near a large airport.

There is no doubt about that. Airports that have competitive routes and where discount airlines control many gates are great. The best thing for us is that I have a parking space in a garage downtown which is a 10 minute subway (The T) to the airport. Saves on airport parking. Still, I'm patient to wait out prices on flights from Anchorage to Boston.

We booked our May 2018 cruise in March as soon as they were released. The price has done nothing but go up. We also booked our flights from the East Coast to Anchorage and Vancouver home also have risen every time I check. By booking the cruise back in March we were not affected by the non refundable deposit which is in place now. I would book your cruise as soon as you see a price you can live with and find the cabin you want.