Do I tip the tour leader?

After reading the post about tipping in Australia, I am wondering about tour leaders. We are going on a ten day tour of Australia before the cruise and a one day tour of Auckland after. Normally I would tip the tour leader and the driver. Should we not expect to tip them in Australia and Auckland?

After reading the post about tipping in Australia, I am wondering about tour leaders. We are going on a ten day tour of Australia before the cruise and a one day tour of Auckland after. Normally I would tip the tour leader and the driver. Should we not expect to tip them in Australia and Auckland?

I would plan to tip them both.

Don't tip them a damn thing. They are on a fairly high wage and are by no means poor. I live here and do several trips around places in Australia I visit and have never tipped a tour guide in my entire life. I would not dream of it, would not dare do it and would feel ashamed, disgusted and embarrassed to do such a thing. No way. Its out, not welcome not wanted and will only leave Australians shaking their head at you. Its a custom not welcome in our country.

Sutho has stated his opinion very definitely.:) I wouldn't be so 'direct', but in Australia I would not tip a tour guide or driver. They are on excellent wages.

If that makes you feel awkward, watch and see what the other people do. I don't think there is much point in asking people ahead of time, because what they say they will do and what they actually do, might be two different things.

I don't tip in Australia or New Zealand for any service.

I agree with you and I don't see much tipping happening around me. Two of my children worked in a restaurant when they were at Uni, and tips happened, but not very often.

I feel tipping is one of the subjects where some people (and I don't mean any specific people) say it happens more than it really does.:D

Sutho has stated his opinion very definitely.:) I wouldn't be so 'direct', but in Australia I would not tip a tour guide or driver. They are on excellent wages.

If that makes you feel awkward, watch and see what the other people do. I don't think there is much point in asking people ahead of time, because what they say they will do and what they actually do, might be two different things.

I totally agree.

Let's spell this out loud and clear for our US friends before we get the same 170 threads.

Australia and New Zealand are not traditionally tipping countries.

Some in here, no doubt with vested interests, will try to convince you otherwise.

And yes, if you have EXCEPTIONAL service you may consider tipping, but exceptional service is not someone simply doing the job they are employed to do. And we have by and large higher minimum wages, and a far better safety net, than those countries that tip.

And bus drivers and tour guides (particularly the driver) will be on a fairly good salary with over time, pension ( what we call superannuation), is covered by the free government Medicare ( as all permanent residents are).

So no, don't tip nor feel any compulsion to tip as its likely that driver, and possibly the tour guide, will be getting close to what you earn at home without tips.

We do not have legalised blackmail in this country, nor do we need to big note ourselves by tipping, nor are we scared of our menial staff will insult us or run after us if we don't tip. And I can tell you that if many waiters, waitress or bus driver expected a tip In this country and made a fuss with to their other Australian customers they are as likely to get a glass of beer tipped over them or a punch in the nose ( slight exaggeration but the point is valid) as most would laugh at them.

I can literally count on one hand the number of cases I have tipped here....and it's not as if I don't. I have never had a problem tipping overseas in the US or on cruises.

You'll find most America's and Canadians (some ) are used to tipping for service. Do Australian restaurants add a service charge to their bills?

If so this service charge is part of the servers wage.

In restaurants I have been to, the cost of items is shown on the menu and there are no extras (tax or service charge). Servers receive somewhere between $25 and $50 per hour (depending on whether it is a normal working day or a weekend/holiday).

Visitors to Australia invariably remark how expensive everything is and our wage structure is the main reason. By the way, I am not complaining about that wage structure and believe people should be paid adequately for the job they do.

You'll find most America's and Canadians (some ) are used to tipping for service. Do Australian restaurants add a service charge to their bills?

If so this service charge is part of the servers wage.

No, They now include 10% GST (Goods and Service tax) which goes to the government. New Zealand is higher than 10%.

A service charge used to be charged by some before GST was introduced but this was not a tax like GST is:)

No I dont believe this is necessary, as others have stated tour guides in Australia get paid quite well and the tours are so expensive for this reason.

Bus or Coach tour drivers sometimes receive a "Whip A Round" from those they have ferried around, not as a supplement to their income but traditionally "Beer Money" a little extra given for the appreciation of the driver putting up with the antics all day or even all week of some passengers:)Again not necessary on organised tour operated tours its more a thing usually done by social clubs or sporting clubs who have hired one off tours/outings for their members.

We like to watch the people getting off tour buses here in Australia from our balcony on the ship and watch the American's and Canada's shaking hand with drivers and tour operators and slipping a bit of cash into there hands....you can tell the Aussie's and Kiwi's they just nod/thank them and walk right right on.

I'm sure the Driver and Tour guide are very happy indeed, but don't expect it.

V☺

Sutho has stated his opinion very definitely.:)

hehe - indeed.

As for the question about service charges at restaurants, generally no. Some restaurants do charge compulsory tips for large bookings. It's not common though.

We may not be a real tipping culture BUT if someone gives you great service, goes out of their way to help you and does enhance your trip there is nothing wrong with tipping them. Definitely NOT 10 or 15% but after 10 days of enhancing your holiday a tip would be very much appreciated.

As mentioned in anther thread we often round up to the next 10 when in a restaurant or "keep the change" in a taxi. We often give the tradesman a six pack of beer or a bottle of wine.

After 10 days, if service was good, I would be tipping $20 -$50. Its just a way of saying thanks.

Thats my opinion.

Raina

I would tip both as well.

I totally agree.

Let's spell this out loud and clear for our US friends before we get the same 170 threads.

Australia and New Zealand are not traditionally tipping countries.

Some in here, no doubt with vested interests, will try to convince you otherwise.

And yes, if you have EXCEPTIONAL service you may consider tipping, but exceptional service is not someone simply doing the job they are employed to do. And we have by and large higher minimum wages, and a far better safety net, than those countries that tip.

And bus drivers and tour guides (particularly the driver) will be on a fairly good salary with over time, pension ( what we call superannuation), is covered by the free government Medicare ( as all permanent residents are).

So no, don't tip nor feel any compulsion to tip as its likely that driver, and possibly the tour guide, will be getting close to what you earn at home without tips.

We do not have legalised blackmail in this country, nor do we need to big note ourselves by tipping, nor are we scared of our menial staff will insult us or run after us if we don't tip. And I can tell you that if many waiters, waitress or bus driver expected a tip In this country and made a fuss with to their other Australian customers they are as likely to get a glass of beer tipped over them or a punch in the nose ( slight exaggeration but the point is valid) as most would laugh at them.

I can literally count on one hand the number of cases I have tipped here....and it's not as if I don't. I have never had a problem tipping overseas in the US or on cruises.

I also agree, they would have to do something (very special) before you should even think of tipping.:)

Anyone plan on tipping the airline hostess?

Cos I reckon she will be getting paid less than the bus driver... :rolleyes:

Or the check in staff at the airport??

What about the hotel check in crew....who I can guarantee will be on less than the bus driver.

But hey ho.......lets keep up this pretence and single out certain jobs for tipping irrelevant of being low paid or not......

If a tour bus driver is getting less than $60-$65k plus overtime, allowances, meals, plus 9% super I would be very surprised.

Hell that's more than my partner gets as a uni trained kindergarten teacher and for bringing up your kids they get no tips....maybe I need to send them out to get another job....

Many tour guides and bus drivers put in unpaid hours during a trip.

I know a tour bus driver , he is only paid when behind the wheel to drive .

Prep time isn't paid and loading/unloading time isn't paid.

No one in their right mind will ever do that. It is against the law and a major safety issue with work cover if they have to do unpaid prep work. It is a complete lie.

I have worked as truck driver and you are paid for the entire time you are working including pre departure safety checks and anything related to departure as well as paper work on return. No one is working free hours in Australia and if they are they have the unions, fair work authorities to report them to.

No one in their right mind will ever do that. It is against the law and a major safety issue with work cover if they have to do unpaid prep work. It is a complete lie.

I have worked as truck driver and you are paid for the entire time you are working including pre departure safety checks and anything related to departure as well as paper work on return. No one is working free hours in Australia and if they are they have the unions, fair work authorities to report them to.

Not a lie Sutho, Kamloops is talking about Canada, different workplace agreements to here.

Archived