Any Experience with MotionEaze for Sea Sickness?

rpmljm

Hi All,

I often have trouble with seasickness. Before finding the Scop patch I tried Bonine, Dramamine and ginger capsules. Those did not work for me but the patch worked. I just heard about MotionEaze and I wondered what you all thought. Maybe I won't need the patch this time. I'm sailing on Grandeur in March. I would appreciate hearing your experiences.

Thanks!

Sailing with two people susceptible to motion sickness I can tell you that solutions that work for one person do not work for the other.

My wife is only helped by the patch but she has trouble dealing with the side effects - primarily dry throat like having a cold - so she will either wear half a patch or only wear the patch the first half of the cruise. Either way it does enough to keep her from feeling seasick. Our friend is fine with hard candy laced with ginger, or Dramamine Non-Drowsy which is actually ginger.

Will be interested to hear if people have success with MotionEaze. I haven't heard of it, maybe it will work for my wife.

I, too, have had lots of trouble with motion sickness, and used dramamine and ginger. It is only within the past year that I have tried MotionEaze. MotionEaze has proven to be more effective, for me, than dramamine and ginger.

If there are really rough seas, I usually supplement the MotionEaze with sea bands.

As stated in a previous post, however, what works for one may not be effective for another.

I get side effects from the patch....blurred vision and extremely dry throat. I have tried everything else with results ranging from "doesn't work to acting like a drunken sailoron Bonine!".

Many years ago the patches were taken off the market for a year or so due to the uneven delivery of the drug. My doctor wrote me a prescription for Scoalamine in compound form. Most national chain pharmacies have very few branches that do compounding. In our metropolitan area of almost a million people I think there's less than ten compounding pharmacies. Most of the time insurance doesn't pay for it but I got the amount needed for a 5 night cruise for about $65. When I returned to using the patches when they were brought back on the market I slowly started getting the side effects. I went back to the compounding RX!! It's dispensed as a gel in a syringe type thing. The syringe is marked with the doses. You use the plunger to put dosage on the inside of the wrist once a day then rub it in washing your hands immediately afterwards . What I like is you can control the amount absorbed. I usually start with a third of the dosage. Most of the time that works but sometimes I have to do half the regular dosage. Port days I don't put it on in the morning. I re-apply as soon as I return to the ship. This regime cause no side effects or if I do get them they are very mild. .

My niece uses Motion Eaze and it works well for her. On her first cruise a few years ago she was feeling queasy and we didn't have anything to treat motion sickness because the rest of us had never had a problem. It was the only med available in the onboard shop, so we bought it and crossed our fingers. Now we always have a bottle packed.

Hi All,

I often have trouble with seasickness. Before finding the Scop patch I tried Bonine, Dramamine and ginger capsules. Those did not work for me but the patch worked. I just heard about MotionEaze and I wondered what you all thought. Maybe I won't need the patch this time. I'm sailing on Grandeur in March. I would appreciate hearing your experiences.

Thanks!

Question - do you also have any similar symptoms when flying?

The reason I ask is that there is seasickness is really a misnomer.

There IS something called motion sickness.

The symptoms are the same for the unfortunate folks who travel in cars, buses, trains, airplanes, or cruise ships. The medications that seem to help address the symptoms vary - but Ginger-based products are reported to have a good deal of success.

Question - do you also have any similar symptoms when flying?

The reason I ask is that there is seasickness is really a misnomer.

There IS something called motion sickness.

The symptoms are the same for the unfortunate folks who travel in cars, buses, trains, airplanes, or cruise ships. The medications that seem to help address the symptoms vary - but Ginger-based products are reported to have a good deal of success.

Thank you. I don't have a problem in cars, buses, or trains. Once in a while I have problems in planes, but Dramamine works for that. It just seems to be on the ocean where I have the most trouble. I can be on boats in rivers with no problem.

• 4 months later...

I have it in my travel bag just in case but have never had to use it. The good thing about it is, it works after the fact that you have motion sickness. Most preventative meds like Bonine and Dramamine wont.

My DD uses the patch, but she has also used seabands before (or tried too). If you are very small framed (DD is 30 but still wears childrens size medic alert bracelet) they do not put enough pressure to be effective. Just our experience, YMMV

We've tried MotionEaze with some good success- after also hating the side effects of the patch, we bought that as a try, and it helped a lot. Even if it's all mental, I'm fine with it- as we were better by the end of that kind of rough cruise.

I use the scopolamine patches because I’ve used Dramamine and wrist bands before and threw up both times.

I get the side effects from the patches though (dry throat, and eventually the blurred vision if I don’t remove the patch on day 3). I wish there was a “low dose” patch.

I do have a couple “expired” patches from prior cruises and I asked my doctor if the chemistry changes over time or if they just become ineffective, and she said that the medicine just starts to wear off, but that the chemical makeup stays the same. She gave me a new prescription, but I am going to try using one of the old patches first to see if the dose will be lower and if that will remove some of the side effects.

The side effects of the patch are much less bothersome than being sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I vote for MotionEaze 100% here! Works super for me with only one small con - you'll smell like lavendar for about 5 minutes, but that goes away. But you might avoid the elevators for a couple moments after using it or risk being accused of using too much perfume :D

My DD uses the patch, but she has also used seabands before (or tried too). If you are very small framed (DD is 30 but still wears childrens size medic alert bracelet) they do not put enough pressure to be effective. Just our experience, YMMV

Sea Bands also make a child size, she may find they fit better than the adult band.