Live from Freedom of the Seas (12/23/2017 to 12/31/2017 - Eastern Caribbean)

Rubyfisch

Hey everyone,

I really enjoyed putting together a livish review of my Baltic adventure on Serenade this spring, so I thought I would put together another for my upcoming one on Freedom of the Seas.

So, the cast of characters is the same as in our previous episode. Before May of this year, neither my parents nor I had ever been on a cruise, but we had a truly amazing time on Serenade. And as most of you probably agree, you can't have just one cruise. Before we even got off Serenade, we were talking about maybe taking a cruise in the early summer of 2018. Well, fast forward to July of this year. I was visiting my parents, and my mother asked if I wanted to try to find a cruise some time this year. My first thought was "sure!" My second thought was "gah - I only have 4.5 vacation days that I have not allocated." My third thought was "where's my phone - let me see what I can do." Completely unexpectedly, I found an amazing deal on an eight-day Christmas cruise. For which I would only need to take 4.5 vacation days. Success.

And then the hurricanes ripped through the Caribbean, shortly before final payment day. People started talking about canceling cruises and changing plans. But we knew that the ships would be sailing somewhere, so we stayed the course, decided to be open to whatever the islands had to offer, whatever islands we ended up on, and started to count down the days.

So here we are, a day and a half out. My parents are coming to my place first thing tomorrow morning, and then we head off to Ft. Lauderdale. We are staying at the Embassy Suites on 17th.

Please - ping me with questions, thoughts, etc. As of now, we will likely eat in the MDR every night. I will post the menus and likely entirely too many pictures of food. Depending on well the internet works, I may post the compasses as we go or maybe when we get home.

Okay - I should probably pack or something.

Are you stopping in Sint-Maarten? If so, please find out for me if the shared taxi-van service is still going to Orient Beach post Irma. I plan to go to that beach on a cruise mid-January. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you stopping in Sint-Maarten? If so, please find out for me if the shared taxi-van service is still going to Orient Beach post Irma. I plan to go to that beach on a cruise mid-January. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are, and I will see what we can figure out. We don't have plans yet for St. Maarten - we kind of want to see how it is before deciding what to do.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Good morning - it's embarkation day - 1.

Here is sunrise over the Boston cruise port. My parents are on their way. Our plane is on its way. Going to eat my oatbran and hope the snow holds off long enough to get airborne.

Also, thanks for all the kind wishes for a good cruise.393c0cdd02ed09b45cdb9e17cbf9b47c.jpg

I was on the FOS earlier this this year and had a great cruise, as a suggestion you may want eat in the Windjammer one night, following along.
We had the late seating on Serenade in the spring and would wander through Windjammer when it opened just to check it out. I assume we will likely do the same this time. If nothing seems appealing in the MDR, we just do that.

Made it here - here is the view from our balcony.

Also, why did no one tell me the Ft. Lauderdale airport is basically the seventh circle of hell? Baggage took forever and finding the taxi stand was adventure.401b68d22bf79a77b161e6341d2bd520.jpg