Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:34 PM.
#43
2,205 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
-The Grotto in Spice H20 is freezing. Enter at your own risk. :-)
-Bring close toed shoes for the ropes course and do it while in port. Fewer kids and little/no wait. Don't have any loose items on you. They won't hold anything while you do the course.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-weltek
#44
Kentucky
14,762 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Just a few things off the top of my head.

Yes, to crepes and going all the way to the back to get seating.

Tyler Gray has the most energy I have ever seen for a cruise director. He is very engaging and you will see him everywhere.

Sign up for the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet! Lots and lots of free beers as well as appetizers were given.

In the morning, head to the 5'Oclock Somewhere Bar for coffee, tea as well as assorted pastries. It was great for us to run there in the morning for a quick bite including those delicious chocolate croissants.

If you find that you cannot make dinner reservations for the specialty restaurants, just go to the restaurant directly. We were accommodated at La Cucina at 6:30 p.m. (party of five) when all the screens and tv said only 9:30 p.m. or later was available.

The shows seems to last longer than other shows we have seen. I really loved the Brat Pack and it was 1.5 hours.

There is a small buffet set up in the casino during certain hours. Also, coffee.
#45
1,565 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Thanks again - this is helping me as well- I am going on the Escape twice this year. although I havent been on the ship yet if it is consistent with the Breakaway it seems there are nice spaces on the waterfront in between venues to sit at during the day which are quiet and good for reading. I would imagine the chicken pot pies at oshennans are good as well for a quick lunch like on other ships.
#46
1,075 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by jdvmd
Just a few things off the top of my head.

Yes, to crepes and going all the way to the back to get seating.

Tyler Gray has the most energy I have ever seen for a cruise director. He is very engaging and you will see him everywhere.

Sign up for the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet! Lots and lots of free beers as well as appetizers were given.

In the morning, head to the 5'Oclock Somewhere Bar for coffee, tea as well as assorted pastries. It was great for us to run there in the morning for a quick bite including those delicious chocolate croissants.

If you find that you cannot make dinner reservations for the specialty restaurants, just go to the restaurant directly. We were accommodated at La Cucina at 6:30 p.m. (party of five) when all the screens and tv said only 9:30 p.m. or later was available.

The shows seems to last longer than other shows we have seen. I really loved the Brat Pack and it was 1.5 hours.

There is a small buffet set up in the casino during certain hours. Also, coffee.
Great stuff, thanks!!
#47
Frozen Tundra
8,926 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by weltek
-The Grotto in Spice H20 is freezing. Enter at your own risk. :-)
-Bring close toed shoes for the ropes course and do it while in port. Fewer kids and little/no wait. Don't have any loose items on you. They won't hold anything while you do the course.


Not just closed toes, but heels must be closed also. The foot must be entirely enclosed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCI Voyager of the Seas: Feb. 2001 Disney Magic: Dec. 2003 Disney Magic: Feb. 2005 Disney Magic: Dec. 2006
NCL Spirit: New Year's week Dec. 2009-'10 NCL Getaway: May 2014 NCL Epic: Nov. 2014
NCL Escape Transatlantic: Oct. 2015 NCL Escape: May 2016 NCL Breakaway: June 2017 NCL Escape: May 2018
Coming up next: Viking River Cruise: June 2019 NCL Encore: Nov. 2019
#48
1,075 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by weltek
-The Grotto in Spice H20 is freezing. Enter at your own risk. :-)
-Bring close toed shoes for the ropes course and do it while in port. Fewer kids and little/no wait. Don't have any loose items on you. They won't hold anything while you do the course.

Thanks!
#50
Kentucky
14,762 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Just remembered something else: On certain days, you can get breakfast in Margaritaville. Complimentary. Omelets with all the fixin's like bacon etc.
#51
Palmyra, PA
95 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Thanks for starting this thread! We’ll be on the Escape in May for our sons wedding in Bermuda. We’ve never done NCL before and have no idea how they do things compared to Royal. I’m getting some great tips from this thread.

One question I have is, how does evening dining work? On RCL we always had early dining at the same time in the same dining room at the same table every night. Does NCL do the same thing, or will be dining in different locations each night? If in different locations, do we have to make reservations? I kind of take charge of all precruise planning and am trying to be as prepared as possible! Thanks in advance!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Victory - Jan 2006 Western Caribbean
RC Freedom of the Seas - Jan 2009 Western Caribbean
RC Freedom of the Seas - Jan 2012 Eastern Caribbean
RC Explorer of the Seas - June 2014 Eastern Caribbean
RC Navigator of the Seas - Jan 2016 Eastern Caribbean


#52
French guayana
3 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by ClemsonTiger96
Thanks for starting this thread! We’ll be on the Escape in May for our sons wedding in Bermuda. We’ve never done NCL before and have no idea how they do things compared to Royal. I’m getting some great tips from this thread.

One question I have is, how does evening dining work? On RCL we always had early dining at the same time in the same dining room at the same table every night. Does NCL do the same thing, or will be dining in different locations each night? If in different locations, do we have to make reservations? I kind of take charge of all precruise planning and am trying to be as prepared as possible! Thanks in advance!
it's freestyle dining. You can eat where and when you want.
No need to book but if you want to dine at a busy time, it's best.

Envoyé de mon LG-H870 en utilisant Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sabrina

Escape - NCL (november 2016)
Quantum of the Seas - RCCL (april 2015)
Allure of the Seas - RCCL (september 2013)
Allure of the Seas - RCCL (march 2011)
#53
SC
370 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by ClemsonTiger96
Thanks for starting this thread! We’ll be on the Escape in May for our sons wedding in Bermuda. We’ve never done NCL before and have no idea how they do things compared to Royal. I’m getting some great tips from this thread.

One question I have is, how does evening dining work? On RCL we always had early dining at the same time in the same dining room at the same table every night. Does NCL do the same thing, or will be dining in different locations each night? If in different locations, do we have to make reservations? I kind of take charge of all precruise planning and am trying to be as prepared as possible! Thanks in advance!
NCL has Freestyle dining. You don't have a certain time for dining. So you don't really have a set table or server. You can have dinner at 6Pm or 7PM or whenever you feel like it. Some people like the freestyle dining where you can eat when you want and some people like having a set time/table/server. I have eaten at the same restaurant and asked for a certain server and was able to get if it wasn't too busy.

As for speciality dining they are by reservations. They cost extra unless you have the dining package.

I hope this helps. I am not an expert on the speciality dining as we don't use it often for our cruises.

BY THE WAY I am a huge Tiger Fan! Just got back from the Sugar Bowl! Disappointing but we will return! Go Tigers!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Shannon

____________________________________
Future Cruises:
April 2018-NCL Epic-Senior trip with friends

Past Cruises:

*December 2017-MSC Seaside-Naming ceremony
*October 2017-Scenic Gem-Seine River-(Paris-Paris)
*August 2017-AmaWaterways AmaPrima-Rhine River (Basel-Amsterdam)
*July 2017-Carnival Fascination-40th birthday weekend (Bahamas)
*June 2017-HAL Noordam (Alaska with Denali)
*December 2016-Disney Wonder (Western Caribbean)
*July 2016-RCCL Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean)
*June 2016-Seaborun Odyssey-Mediterranean Cruise (Venice, Italy-Athens, Greece)
*June 2016-Emerald Sun-Danube Delights-First River Cruise (Budapest-Nuremberg)
*March 2016: NCL Getaway- Spring Break last minute cruise thanks to Empress of the Seas cancellation.(Western Caribbean)
*December 2015: NCL Sky-Orange Bowl Bound Cruise (Bahamas)
*April 2015: NCL Getaway-2015 Spring Break Cruise (Eastern Caribbean)
*Feb. 2015: RCCL Adventure of the Seas-20th anniversary cruise (Southern Caribbean)
*June 2014: NCL Epic-Mediterranean Cruise (Barcelona-Barcelona)
*June 2013: NCL Sun (Alaska Cruise)
*March 2013: NCL Pearl- 2013 Spring Break (Western Caribbean)
*Oct 2011: Carvinal Fascination-(Bahamas)
#54
Palmyra, PA
95 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Originally posted by ShannonSC2
NCL has Freestyle dining. You don't have a certain time for dining. So you don't really have a set table or server. You can have dinner at 6Pm or 7PM or whenever you feel like it. Some people like the freestyle dining where you can eat when you want and some people like having a set time/table/server. I have eaten at the same restaurant and asked for a certain server and was able to get if it wasn't too busy.

As for speciality dining they are by reservations. They cost extra unless you have the dining package.

I hope this helps. I am not an expert on the speciality dining as we don't use it often for our cruises.

BY THE WAY I am a huge Tiger Fan! Just got back from the Sugar Bowl! Disappointing but we will return! Go Tigers!
Thanks for the info, it is very helpful!

The Sugar Bowl was rough for sure. We haven’t been dominated like that in a very long time! I can’t complain since I honestly wasn’t expecting to make it this far this year. With KB back with a year of experience, and a monstrous recruiting class, 2018 should be awesome! All In!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Victory - Jan 2006 Western Caribbean
RC Freedom of the Seas - Jan 2009 Western Caribbean
RC Freedom of the Seas - Jan 2012 Eastern Caribbean
RC Explorer of the Seas - June 2014 Eastern Caribbean
RC Navigator of the Seas - Jan 2016 Eastern Caribbean


#55
Louisville, KY
1,274 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by bbryan5
So we've been on a bunch of NCL cruises.. sailed the Jewel, Gem, Breakaway, and the Dawn. We will be aboard the Escape in May, and was just trying to get some info on it. I've been doing a lot of reading online, but I was looking for some insider tips.. I'd love to hear about your favorite restaurants, shows, common areas, bar tenders, meals, etc.. If you'd care to share any tips, tricks, or secrets about the Escape, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS!


Any wine drinkers in your bunch? Restaurant menus have very limited selection - not what I'd drink or serve at home. Finally we started going to Cellars and getting a double pour of something fabulous and taking that to dinner! Cost a few bucks for the difference of cost over $15 but soooo worth it to have a great wine with an equally great meal. Enjoy! We loved sailing her.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




#57
145 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
We’re also sailing Escape for the first time in June. Actually only have one other NCL cruise about 10 years ago so excited or the experience!
Lots of great information so far (thank you all) but have a few questions:
  • We have the 3 meal dining package, can we use it for lunch? If so which restaurants are open for lunch
  • We picked the dining package and ultimate beverage package as our 2 perks when we booked but I don’t see them mentioned when I look at my reservation on My NCL. Should I be able to see it?
  • Can dinner / lunch reservations be made in advance?
  • We are thinking of reserving a cabana in Vibe and buying a day pass for my mom who is traveling with us in a separate cabin. How many people fit under the cabana (room for 3?). Can I purchase in advance? If not whereon Escape do I go to purchase the Vibe when I board?
Thank you again for sharing your valuable experiences. So much more information on cruise critic than the cruseline’s website!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Solstice - 2017 - Alaska
Celebrity Silouette - 2016 - Caribbean
Celebrity Summit - 2015 - Bermuda
Celebrity Solstace - 2014 - Alaska
Celebrity Summit - 2013 - Caribbean
Regent Seven Seas Mariner-2012-France/Italy/Spain
Regent Seven Seas Voyager-2010 France/Portugal/Spain
Norwegian Pearl - 2009 - Alaska
RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2008 - Mexican Riviera
RCCL Radiance of the Seas- 2007 - Caribbean
Carnival - 2005 - Caribbean
Celebrity Zenith - 2000 - Bermuda
Carnival Destiny - 1998 - Caribbean
Carnival Triumph - 1997 - Caribbean
Oceanic - 1977 - Caribbean
Holland America - 1975 - Caribbean
#58
Frozen Tundra
8,926 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by puppyluv1
We’re also sailing Escape for the first time in June. Actually only have one other NCL cruise about 10 years ago so excited or the experience!

Lots of great information so far (thank you all) but have a few questions:
  • We have the 3 meal dining package, can we use it for lunch? If so which restaurants are open for lunch
  • We picked the dining package and ultimate beverage package as our 2 perks when we booked but I don’t see them mentioned when I look at my reservation on My NCL. Should I be able to see it?
  • Can dinner / lunch reservations be made in advance?
  • We are thinking of reserving a cabana in Vibe and buying a day pass for my mom who is traveling with us in a separate cabin. How many people fit under the cabana (room for 3?). Can I purchase in advance? If not whereon Escape do I go to purchase the Vibe when I board?
Thank you again for sharing your valuable experiences. So much more information on cruise critic than the cruseline’s website!

The restaurants at which you can use the dining plan for lunch are Margaritaville and Pinchos Tapas. Reservations are not taken for lunch, but they are certainly not necessary.

Dinner reservations can be made online 90 days before your cruise, or 100 days if you’re in a suite.

There are no cabanas in Vibe on Escape, nor are there day passes. You buy a pass for the entire week. You cannot buy a pass for another guest. The guest has to be there in person at the time of purchase. You go to Headliners on Escape for these passes. 70 total are sold.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCI Voyager of the Seas: Feb. 2001 Disney Magic: Dec. 2003 Disney Magic: Feb. 2005 Disney Magic: Dec. 2006
NCL Spirit: New Year's week Dec. 2009-'10 NCL Getaway: May 2014 NCL Epic: Nov. 2014
NCL Escape Transatlantic: Oct. 2015 NCL Escape: May 2016 NCL Breakaway: June 2017 NCL Escape: May 2018
Coming up next: Viking River Cruise: June 2019 NCL Encore: Nov. 2019
#59
145 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Thank you so much. Not sure where I got the idea that there were cabanas in Vibe. Do you know if there is any covered seating in Vibe and can that specifically be reserved for the week?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Solstice - 2017 - Alaska
Celebrity Silouette - 2016 - Caribbean
Celebrity Summit - 2015 - Bermuda
Celebrity Solstace - 2014 - Alaska
Celebrity Summit - 2013 - Caribbean
Regent Seven Seas Mariner-2012-France/Italy/Spain
Regent Seven Seas Voyager-2010 France/Portugal/Spain
Norwegian Pearl - 2009 - Alaska
RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2008 - Mexican Riviera
RCCL Radiance of the Seas- 2007 - Caribbean
Carnival - 2005 - Caribbean
Celebrity Zenith - 2000 - Bermuda
Carnival Destiny - 1998 - Caribbean
Carnival Triumph - 1997 - Caribbean
Oceanic - 1977 - Caribbean
Holland America - 1975 - Caribbean
#60
339 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Agree about the crepes - after getting one, I would go around the corner and get a scoop of ice cream on top!

You can make reservations on your room TV for the Supper Club for a few complementary dinner shows. We went to see the Flyboys and L.O.V.E. - same plated meal for both, but very enjoyable!

Definitely be part of the CC roll call and go to the meet and greet.