Straws

Went to Publix today bought a package of plastic straws. For our next 2 cruises Harmony and Oasis

Hope we don't wind up in the naughty room. LOL

Not concerned about the fact that they will be still around in landfills or ocean for years? Plastic straws can be replaced with reusable ones or paper ones - remember them?

That's because Brevard makes it oh so easy to buy fireworks that are illegal in most states. So why patrol it? All you have to do is sign the waiver stating you are purchasing the fireworks for "agricultural use" to scare away birds. :')

That loophole's existed for dozens of years now. I wonder how much and who the fireworks industry pays for that.

We do have our own police in CB. Can't say that I've seen any fireworks stands in the city.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cannot understand this obsession with straws. Gave up using them when I was about 10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Something to do with lipstick, or so I'm told

Some handicapped people need to use straws to drink, so they will need to have some type of straws available
I kind of think they may bring their own.

Laura's brother has needed a straw for years.

He is comfortable with the kind that bend. Since you can't always expect that style, he buys his own

We do have our own police in CB. Can't say that I've seen any fireworks stands in the city.

No profit in it. The state supreme court ruled that the stands can trust the forms saying the fireworks are for 'agricultural' use, it's up to the police to regulate their usage.

Some handicapped people need to use straws to drink, so they will need to have some type of straws available

not need as in required. many places have never provided straws( zoos and animal sanctuaries come to mind) so anyone who requires the use of one to ingest liquids would presumably always have a stash on their person.

I am currently waiting on the delivery of a stainless steel straw that was a free gift for signing the pledge to forgo the use of them(giveasipdotcom). as soon as it arrives, it is going straight into my purse.

My point is that the county receives tax revenue from sale. Cocoa Beach does not.

So the local police don't have to turn a blind eye in the name of revenue from sales.

No profit in it. The state supreme court ruled that the stands can trust the forms saying the fireworks are for 'agricultural' use, it's up to the police to regulate their usage.

Straws are not the problem in a marine environment. Proper disposal is the problem.

Almost anything buried in a landfill will be there 100 years because they are cut off from oxygen. A stack of newspapers can sit in your basement for 100 years.

My point is that the county receives tax revenue from sale. Cocoa Beach does not.

So the local police don't have to turn a blind eye in the name of revenue from sales.

You don't understand, the local police can't do anything to stop the fireworks sales. It's totally legal to sell them. It's only illegal to set them off. Unless you're suggesting Cocoa Beach Police ignore the Florida Supreme Court and prohibit legal conduct because they don't like it.

You don't understand, the local police can't do anything to stop the fireworks sales. It's totally legal to sell them. It's only illegal to set them off. Unless you're suggesting Cocoa Beach Police ignore the Florida Supreme Court and prohibit legal conduct because they don't like it.
That's what I'm saying. The police patrol the beach. They could/should arrest you for lighting them. The city does not allow sales. The stands i drive buy are all in unincorporated Brevard.

So to get back to my original argument, why arrest people for balloons and straws, but not fireworks

Any thoughts on Stainless straws vs reusable plastic straws in terms of harboring bacteria. I don’t foresee anyone running back to their room to wash out that straw the minute they finish their frozen drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any thoughts on Stainless straws vs reusable plastic straws in terms of harboring bacteria. I don’t foresee anyone running back to their room to wash out that straw the minute they finish their frozen drink.

Well, stronger drinks have more alcohol, and alcohol kills germs. So there's that. :cool::cool:

As the old saying goes, "reduce, reuse, recycle." It's great to recycle things but even better to not have any waste at all, which is why a reusable cup that can be washed always wins over recyclable paper or plastic.

Nationally, we're currently experiencing a real crisis with recyclables. China is the #1 purchaser of our recycled goods, and they aren't buying like they used to. In 2015, recycled materials sold to China for $130+ per ton...in 2018 the going rate is about $35.

They just did a story in the news about here in Central Florida, and the fact that about 50% of the items that households recycle (90% in some neighborhoods) end up getting sent to the landfill because people are putting non-recyclable items into their curbside bins.

I'm sure a lot of folks might read this and think "no big deal," but in the near future, it really is going to be a big deal. The effort it takes to use a stainless steel straw to drink out of and cloth bags at the grocery store vs plastic is SO minimal.

The city of Seattle recently completely banned plastic straws altogether from being used in restaurants/bars. I hope that becomes a nationwide trend, along with plastic grocery bags.

I just want to go on my vacation and be “treated Royally” not lectured about environmentalism and having to “do my part”. I get that every day elsewhere.

I have metal straws & a cleaning brush that I use & love. But Michael’s had a pack of 24 hard plastic/reusable straws with all of their summer things a few weeks ago. With one of their constant coupons the pack was about $3. Target also sells packs of reusable straws. I’m not a fan of paper either and refuse to use the throwaway ones, so I’ve gotten into the habit of taking a straw with me every where I go.

But anyways... I’m super thankful for this thread. If we end up getting to go on our cruise in December, I’m glad to know to pack a few extra straws.

Don’t forget your little scrub brush, sponge and antiseptic dishwashing liquid.

Haven't been on a cruise in six years. I've heard straws are no longer provided. Any exceptions to this for example with frozen drinks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is not true , just ask.

Well, stronger drinks have more alcohol, and alcohol kills germs. So there's that. :cool::cool:

The drinks that consist of all alcohol like Manhattan's, Martini's, Long Island Iced Tea don't require a straw. You really only need them for the watered down frozen drinks. I'm not a fan of those sweet drinks anyway. I'll just have to stick it to the man with my drink package by ordering the drinks I mentioned with all alcohol. Besides I'm not about to walk all over the ship with a straw tucked behind my ear.