Onboard Seaside: Ship B+ to A- everything else C- to C+

The Admiral

currently cruising on the seaside I will post a longer review when I have time but halfway through here’s my observations:

1) Ship Design and Ship itself - this is where MSC did a great job the decor is very elegant lounges are well thought out. However, overall although the Ship doesn’t have ease of getting around but it’s a beautiful Ship.

Kids water slides activities etc are very nice they did a good job here.

What MSC can refine on newer vessels: they need more open avenues and spaces, the Ship is very crowded, elevators are hard to get and it’s like a maze to get around a lot of public areas seem compartmentalized and don’t easily flow from one to another.

2) dining and dining options: here MSC seems to not have learned anything since I cruised them 7 years ago (it was this area where they lacked and why I stopped cruising them 7 years ago till I gave them another chance on the seaside)

They need to step up here and catch up to NCL, Carnival and RCI -they are way behind here.

The dining room food was good same as competitors but the service is super slow maybe it’s because it’s a new Ship and staff is trying to learn the ropes so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Food choices lack you’re Pretty much stuck in the slow dining room all week if you want good food. The have two buffets:

The market place buffet is only open for breakfast and lunch and closed for dinner when it serves as a formal dinner seating dining room. This doesnt make sense and if I were assigned to eat dinner there after seeing the two beautifully appointed main dining rooms I would be ticked off.

So that leaves you with the much smaller Biscayne bay pizzeria and buffet as the only other free option (other than room service) for dinner if you don’t want to have a painfully long dinner in the dinning room. the problem is that the selection in Biscayne bay is very small and for the most part hasn’t changed all week: pizza, salad, bread, small sandwiches and burgers etc..and very small selection - only a few choices (you can see all choices in 30 seconds) here MSC doesn’t come close to offering aternative free dining on par with the other lines they want to take market share from.

On NCL and RCI you have multiple free dining areas and the buffet is a larger buffet with large selection and fresh prepared to order pasta, oriental, sandwich and meat stations

3) MSC needs to update how hey do things on board, they have antiquated processes for some things but yet have modern MSC for Me App - conflict between making things easier on one hand and harder on the other.

For example having to pick an “experience” and then having to have paper tickets you need to have on you always if you want to have your drinks that you paid for Is plain aggravating and defeats the purpose of having an RFID band. I couldn’t go to the pool With my band only, I had to have my paper vouchers for drinks with the me.

Bottom line: if you want a cheap vacation on a pretty Ship and dont care about good dining, shows and entertainment options go on MSC.

If entertainment and dining options is important then do not go on MSC and wait till their WorldClass ships come out and if they can’t get their stuff straight by then write them off for good forever....at least that’s my plan. :-)

Thanks for the review. Fortunately I don't mind slow service in the main dining room as long as the food is good. I know that one of my two weeks is sold out so I'm not looking forward to the crowds. The Divina is also very confusing to get around. A CC member held a tour the first day and then I did the same on the second week. It really helped. I may just skip the buffet except for pizza once in a while. I also do not like the drink coupons and predict they will go away soon. I will not be happy if I am assigned to the buffet for dinner, I guess I'll find out soon. Bob

Also Their standard balcony cabins are on the small side and not enough storage space for three in a cabin. So keep the that in mind when bookIng

Here too MSc would benefit from a few more cabin size categories

I just don’t know who the heck does their market ressearch it seems like other than Ship decor and design on every other measure MSc is trying to cram the non European and American market into an old way of cruising- that’s a huge problem they don’t seem To get!!!

Doesn’t help to have a nice new Ship but everything else in a time warp

Also Their standard balcony cabins are on the small side and not enough storage space for three in a cabin. So keep the that in mind when bookIng

Here too MSc would benefit from a few more cabin size categories

I just don’t know who the heck does their market ressearch it seems like other than Ship decor and design on every other measure MSc is trying to cram the non European and American market into an old way of cruising- that’s a huge problem they don’t seem To get!!!

Doesn’t help to have a nice new Ship but everything else in a time warp

I've heard about the storage and already decided that my wife will use all the storage and I'll live out of my suitcase! Bob

CT Bob - this is a bit unrelated to this thread. Could you please post when you return from your cruise, all the excursion options for Miami for post cruise?

I am still hoping that MSC would add an option for HOHO with luggage storage including transfer to FLL airport. I heard it may be offered.

Thank you!

I'm also staying at the YC inside on the 16th floor in April 2018, looking forward to reading your review :)

A few more thoughts:

1) The shows are average at best so far and are quick 30-40 minutes long tops.

2) The cabins are a real issue the bathroom layout/space is really bad - I’m not tall about 5”10 and I have to sit sideways to use it because your legs slam into the sink counter. :-(

3) you can’t activate your cruise card with your credit card online or before you board! Instead they make you hunt for a credit card swipe booth (the have a few of them scattered around) to then scan your cruise card and then your credit card and sign and then you can start onboard charges.

Really????? I get on board and sometime the first day or two I have to hunt for a card terminal and fight other passengers to get to it to activate my card? Geez this and the paper voucher system for pre paid drinks are beyond dumb- again who did they get to come up with this stuff?

I convinced my family to book on MSC because the seaside was supposed to be tailored to the non European and North American market and be different than other MSC ships and I regret it!

It’s almost like an engineer not a cruiser designed everything from the public area layouts to the cabins.

Again if you want a cheap cruise go for it - but keep expectations in line and don’t expect the guest experience and comfort to come anywhere close to other competitors.

Maybe that’s MSCs goal? Deep discounted budget cruise line for a non experienced new passenger segment? If that’s the business plan then I’m wrong and they achieved their goal.

I was really rooting for MSC, got my whole family on board even watched the live naming ceremony - I hope they succeed some day. But they are no where close yet.

I wish they would do a frequent cruiser focus group and implement suggestions made by cruisers to enhance the guest experience as part of the new Ship design - if they did I have no doubt they could succeed and have a cruise line that’s stands tall on its own.

Something that many have failed to notice or comment on is the fact that being a shorter ship in length the two main dining rooms are smaller hence the reason I believe that the Market place buffet is being used as a third Dining room plus the fact that they have increased passenger numbers, I did hear that it was for those in Bella cabins which would make sense as the Seashore can only hold around 950 people.

We had no issues of slow service though we did have two waiters that we have cruised with before.

I cannot believe that a brand new ship that is to accommodate x number of passengers did not or cannot accommodate all their passengers in the 2 MDRs during 2 dining times. If this is true, this is one big mistake. I have never been on any ship/cruise line that could not feed all their passengers in the MDRs. Why have a second Buffet area that would take the overflow? Wouldn't you think that the one Buffet would do?

During the day the two buffets work very well as do the pool areas in separating people, deck 16 buffet is ideal for those using the waterpark and sports area.

Seaside may be wider due to the outside space but a shorter ship with around 1500 more passengers than the Fantasia class such as Divina, hence smaller venues.

CT Bob - this is a bit unrelated to this thread. Could you please post when you return from your cruise, all the excursion options for Miami for post cruise?

I am still hoping that MSC would add an option for HOHO with luggage storage including transfer to FLL airport. I heard it may be offered.

Thank you!

I'm also staying at the YC inside on the 16th floor in April 2018, looking forward to reading your review :)

Since I'm going back to Miami twice I will try and remember. Bob

I hope you’re wrong I have family cruising seaside in a few months in Bella experience and if they get stuck with the buffet area for dinner they will be rightly upset

Like I said they are not ready for prime time yet

Hopefully we are wrong ...but still doesn’t excuse putting passengers in the buffet area it’s like we’re back in the 1940s Steerage Class vs First

It’s almost like an engineer not a cruiser designed everything from the public area layouts to the cabins.

Not that I don't understand where your coming from or trying to say, But an engineer LITERALLY designed this stuff.

Sorry didn't mean to flame you. You would think that the cruise company would send the engineers to consult someone who could check for engineer mistakes that engineers could never see.

Im sure things will get evaluated and changed in the future -- remember, nothing is permanent and everything -- including the hull(thing about the ships that were cut and lengthened) --- can and will eventually be changed if it is not working

Something that many have failed to notice or comment on is the fact that being a shorter ship in length the two main dining rooms are smaller hence the reason I believe that the Market place buffet is being used as a third Dining room plus the fact that they have increased passenger numbers, I did hear that it was for those in Bella cabins which would make sense as the Seashore can only hold around 950 people.

We had no issues of slow service though we did have two waiters that we have cruised with before.

The 2nd buffet being used at night as a MDR is a negative for our family. We more often than not eat at the buffet for dinner, and if I understand it correctly the single buffet that is open at night is the smaller buffet.

Correct, to call the dinner buffet in the smaller Biscayne bay a buffet is an insult. if all you and your family want for dinner is sandwich or a burger and pizza or frozen cHicken nuggets every night Then you will not be disappointed, otherwise you will not be happy.

Yesterday they had chicken fajitas with no tortilla or cheese etc... lol

They do not pay any attention to dinner selections

Correct, to call the dinner buffet in the smaller Biscayne bay a buffet is an insult. if all you and your family want for dinner is sandwich or a burger and pizza or frozen cHicken nuggets every night Then you will not be disappointed, otherwise you will not be happy.

Yesterday they had chicken fajitas with no tortilla or cheese etc... lol

They do not pay any attention to dinner selections

Thats even more disappointing

Major design flaw.... The Seaside is same size (length) as the Carnival Vista and holds 1100 more passengers!! Gross tonnage is 155,000 vs Vistas 133,000... All this tells me is the extra weight is dedicated to an additional floor or 2 for the increase passenger count. Having to use the buffet area as a annex dining room is a disgrace. And if its true they are seating Bella passengers in this area... MSC is heading back to the 3 class designation (used on the early trans-atlantic sailings) at least for dining!!

I hope you’re wrong I have family cruising seaside in a few months in Bella experience and if they get stuck with the buffet area for dinner they will be rightly upset

Like I said they are not ready for prime time yet

Hopefully we are wrong ...but still doesn’t excuse putting passengers in the buffet area it’s like we’re back in the 1940s Steerage Class vs First

MSC does state that Bella experience is subject to eat dinner in the buffet as overflow. There have been reports of bella class being assigned to eat in the buffet area on other MSc ships. Although it appears rare, it has happened.

Msc exact disclaimer for Bella experience reads;

"Should the main restaurant be full, Bella Experience guests may be asked to be seated in the buffet area, where they will receive full restaurant service"

Pete posted a screen shot of the Bella experience with this disclaimer noted in post number 5 of this thread (MSc site is Glitchy right now or I could link you directly).

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2422598

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The buffet area on deck 8 appears huge. Think about it...how many cruise ships have you been on that have had the main buffet area....8 floors from the Pool deck area?? This obviously was a planned design to likely maximize the use of space. The buffet area on most lines is not very crowded for dinner so they are just using this space as MDR annex space. The sad thing is this impacts the limited choices for dinner for any passengers who would prefer to have a casual dinner at a fully stocked buffet

It would be nice to see a picture of the buffet set up as a dining room to see what kind of ambiance it actually has. It also seems logical that MSC could come up with better dinner choices in the smaller buffet. If a large buffet area wouldn't be utilized for dinner, it makes sense to me MSC would want to use the small one instead. However, if anything they should be coming up with a small array of high quality dishes for that dinner buffet. That would further help to alleviate some of the dining room crowding. It would also be nice to get some pictures of the night time buffet and some of the food offerings.

My goal is to be honest, to share what MSC is doing great and where they lack. It’s just that dinning is such a large part of the cruising experience that messing that up royally like they have makes them almost irredeemable.

Just saw the “Fly” show it was nice - a good distraction for the evening and it has a section of Cuban music and dancing, which goes well with the “Miami” Vibe they are going for.

The white pArty started and was held indoors due to wind but everyone seemed to be having fun and the music was good.

I asked staff about Bella passengers eating at the buffet and they did not deny that is in fact true, they actually seemed embarrassed I asked them about it and shared I thought that was really crappy of MSC to do.

Tonight’s dinner for kids in the main dining room was non existent, all week they keep saying they don’t have a kids menu they just recite they have chicken tenders and one more thing- when our child got the chicken tenders it was 3 yes 3 over cooked (like when they’re sitting under the hot light) tiny frozen type tenders about 1 inch or so round with fries (from the mini buffet upstairs I’m sure by how they looked).

One night only they showed me a kids menu but didn’t leave at the table and no kids menu has been available ever since. No crayons with menu etc....

Also on the first night they had a standard NY strip, Broiled Chicken and French Onion Soup as an alternative menu in case you did not like the dinner menu (excellent idea and pretty common in other lines....but wait they messed that up too). Tonight for Italian night dinner and one other night those choices were gone. I asked staff what happened and they said the alternative menu (which is an everyday standard offering on other cruise lines) was not available and I had to choose only from the menu I git or go to the buffet (again the crappy Biscayne buffet).

I’m sorry but with every passing day I’m getting more peeved at MSC and their total lackn Of common sense and professionalism. Nothing has changed in dinning since my last experience on their other Ship 7 years ago.

If MSC spent half as much time on fixing the problems I’ve discussed Regarding their dinning For both adults and children instead of hyping how the seaside is a fantastico Ship maybe they would break into the America’s market - as I see it you’d be crazy to try MSC vs Carnival, NCL or RCL.