How formal is formal for Alaska??

Going to be on the Explorer in June 7 days to Alaska. Have many cruises under or belts and have noticed that formal is really not that formal anymore.

We are at a table for 8 with just family and friends. Wondering if just a shirt and tie would be formal enough for the men?

Going to be on the Explorer in June 7 days to Alaska. Have many cruises under or belts and have noticed that formal is really not that formal anymore.

We are at a table for 8 with just family and friends. Wondering if just a shirt and tie would be formal enough for the men?

I didn't even wear a tie. I hate them. I used to wear a 3 piece suit, but no longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In my opinion, yes, shirt & tie would be fine. On our two Alaska cruises most nights were jeans, pants, sweaters, shirts for regular dinners. Alaska is very laid back in port and most cruisers carry that back on to the ship.

Nothing is enforced, you can wear whatever you want.

That sounds great but as mentioned, the formal dress code is far from enforced these days. I saw people in sweaters and jeans in the dining room on our last Alaska cruise (just observing, not judging).

Enjoy your cruise; I hope you have great weather. :)

How formal is formal for Alaska??

I am on the Radiance in Alaska now. I was on the Radiance in Alaska last cruise.

Not very formal. Some people will always dress up, but most do not. What you suggest will be fine. Heck, the Windjammer is busier than the MDR.

:)

Same on Explorer- that seemed weird, maybe the new norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think that the itinerary is so port-intensive, with long days in port, that people just want things to be as easy as possible.

KISS method. :)

I think that the itinerary is so port-intensive, with long days in port, that people just want things to be as easy as possible.

KISS method. :)

Let me add to that thought.

Caribbean cruise? Lightweight, smaller clothes. Easier to fit dressy clothes in the suitcase.

Alaska cruise? People pack sweaters, sweatshirts, pants, jackets, etc. Less room for other stuff.

:D

I am on the Radiance in Alaska now. I was on the Radiance in Alaska last cruise.

Carol, not trying to hijack the thread but would you let me know how access to the aft/outdoor WJ seating is currently? In the past I've read about it being closed-off since both sides of the back WJ are (were?) dedicated to fee-dining locales. Headed back to AK later in the season this year. I was on Serenade in AK back in 2009 and really enjoyed eating outside ... in the WJ and the place where Sabor is now.Thanks!

Let me add to that thought.

Caribbean cruise? Lightweight, smaller clothes. Easier to fit dressy clothes in the suitcase.

Alaska cruise? People pack sweaters, sweatshirts, pants, jackets, etc. Less room for other stuff.

:D

How true, how true!! Just spent the day packing for our Alaska cruise on Friday. This is our first Alaska cruise. I have never spent a whole day packing. Used my largest suitcase and still had to remove clothing due to bulk and final weight. Never had this issue with our warmer climate cruises.

:o

Carol, not trying to hijack the thread but would you let me know how access to the aft/outdoor WJ seating is currently? In the past I've read about it being closed-off since both sides of the back WJ are (were?) dedicated to fee-dining locales. Headed back to AK later in the season this year. I was on Serenade in AK back in 2009 and really enjoyed eating outside ... in the WJ and the place where Sabor is now.Thanks!

Completely accessible. Not in the least closed off. Izumi is on the port side, but the starboard side is open: Rita's is totally gone.

[/size][/b]

Not very formal. Some people will always dress up, but most do not. What you suggest will be fine. Heck, the Windjammer is busier than the MDR.

:)

Hi! Jealous! We have our trip on Radiance next mid-June, and am super excited about it :) I've never done a "colder weather" cruise before, and am angsting over what to pack. Normally, I wear dresses for dinner (cruising is the only time I dress up :)), but they are not long sleeve winter dresses... Do you think I'd freeze wearing my short sleeve knee/calf length dresses? Or, should I just do pants with a nice top? I get cold pretty easy...

Completely accessible. Not in the least closed off. Izumi is on the port side, but the starboard side is open: Rita's is totally gone.

Regarding Rita's- oh no! So it's not the crab shack... it's completely gone? I was excited to try the crab shack :( (though the prices seemed a little steep)

Thank you!! I hope that your sailings have all been great!

I just made my packing list too. Radiance 6/16 to Alaska. My 16th Cruise, 2nd to Alaska and I'm STILL wondering what to pack. I get cold or hot easily. I never dress formally. Sparkly top and black pants and I'm good.