Black tie

lokinvar

What I remember from crossings many years ago, on the QE, the United States and the France, is that black tie was worn every night in first class except on the evening of departure and the evening before landing. I was just wondering if anyone still held to that custom, given how many people seem to be be griping about the "dress code"--

What I remember from crossings many years ago, on the QE, the United States and the France, is that black tie was worn every night in first class except on the evening of departure and the evening before landing. I was just wondering if anyone still held to that custom, given how many people seem to be be griping about the "dress code"--

On our recent cruise in October on QE on formal nights it seemed most if not all wore a black tie on the rest informal nights some wore suits/jacket and a tie and others wore suit/jacket without a tie and cannot recall anyone wearing black tie on informal nights.

It was still the same on QE2 in 2002. By 2004 on QM2 there was one optional formal night.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A friend did that recently in Princess Grill. It was his opinion that the dress code is a minimum standard and he wished to dress according to the tradition, i.e. every night except the first and last. He said he was the only one in PG in black tie on the informal nights.

A friend did that recently in Princess Grill. It was his opinion that the dress code is a minimum standard and he wished to dress according to the tradition, i.e. every night except the first and last. He said he was the only one in PG in black tie on the informal nights.

Did he report how he felt as the odd man out?

On almost every voyage, esp QM2 crossings, I've seen men in "black tie" on "informal" evenings.

I've done this myself when either a "formal night" wasn't scheduled (on a short cruise), or to celebrate a special occasion (birthday, anniversary) when that fell on the "wrong" night.

I see nothing wrong with choosing to wear "black tie" (dinner suit/tuxedo) on an "informal" evening if that is what you wish to wear.

One of the reasons for us choosing Cunard was the dress code, it has 'gone to the dogs' on Celebrity, our former choice of cruise line.

On our recent cruise I wore a 'posh' burgundy velvet jacket with tie on the 'informal' nights, wish I had thought of wearing formal gear on my wife's birthday, which turned out to be such a memorable evening in QG.

Richard

Did he report how he felt as the odd man out?

He said he didn't mind at all. Other than the people at his large table who complimented him, no-one made any comments.

Several years ago when the National Symphony was performing the Last Night of the Proms on the last night of a QM2 crossing, all of the men in the passenger choir were in black tie. One man at our table said he felt awkward at first, but soon realised he would not be the only man in black tie. He made the comment that if anyone said something his reply would be: "This is as informal as I get."

So Black Tie on informal nights and White Tie on formal nights?

That, of course, was the traditional definition of formal and informal at one time.

I have twice seen a man in white tie on formal nights on the QM2. The first time, the gent came to the entrance of the Queen's Grill wearing a top hat and carrying a cane, both of which he handed to the maître D' Osman, who took them without any comment. I wish I had the nerve to wear white tie once on the QM2 (perhaps Ascot night as did this chap) but sadly my tail-coat has shrunk in the 40 years since I last wore it.:)

That, of course, was the traditional definition of formal and informal at one time.

I have twice seen a man in white tie on formal nights on the QM2. The first time, the gent came to the entrance of the Queen's Grill wearing a top hat and carrying a cane, both of which he handed to the maître D' Osman, who took them without any comment. I wish I had the nerve to wear white tie once on the QM2 (perhaps Ascot night as did this chap) but sadly my tail-coat has shrunk in the 40 years since I last wore it.:)

Are you sure he wasn’t the straight man in a vaudeville act? Hats, even toppers, have their place, but indoors isnt one of them. Unless of course he could dance,

On my retirement, during which I plan on a yearly world cruise, I plan on purchasing a set of formal wear that includes White Tie and Tails for my travels. Not too sure about the top hat but a walking stick that is ornamental of course (I hope) will be part of it also. I don't see a problem of wearing White Tie / Tails on formal nights and black tie on less formal nights sans the tails. If the ladies do their part with the beautiful dresses and sometimes hats, then men should do their part. That is the tradition I like about Cunard.

On my retirement, during which I plan on a yearly world cruise, I plan on purchasing a set of formal wear that includes White Tie and Tails for my travels. Not too sure about the top hat but a walking stick that is ornamental of course (I hope) will be part of it also. I don't see a problem of wearing White Tie / Tails on formal nights and black tie on less formal nights sans the tails. If the ladies do their part with the beautiful dresses and sometimes hats, then men should do their part. That is the tradition I like about Cunard.

I handed Osman my bowler several times when we did the Queens Grill some years back. He always had a nice comment, saying he wished a few more would go all out as he called it. The tails? No, I just had a nice tux. Knew a guy on the QV named Drew(works for Disney)He wore tails.(no hat)Tails don't work for everyone, but when you're 6'-2" with long blonde hair, well, it sure looked good on him.

We were booked into the Verandah for my husbands birthday and he wore his DJ even thought it wasn't a formal night. It was a lovely evening.

Just wondering, I don’t understand why being booked into the Verandah have anything to do with what you wear? Is there a different dress code depending on the stateroom you booked?

Also, can I wear this or must it be a black tuxedo?

F033B6C1-8978-4D1A-9684-300119A667AE_zpsq9baqhqh.jpeg

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Why not wear a tux? if you feel relaxed, and makes you feel good, I also think it looks smarter than somebody in a ordinary jacket with no tie. I hope the day never comes on Cunard when people just choose the dress they think is good enough. I think some men would arrive in shorts, jeans and base ball cap. It s amazing how many people who travel with Cunard just for the dress code, at least it looks like these people have made a effort to look smart.

Just wondering, I don’t understand why being booked into the Verandah have anything to do with what you wear? Is there a different dress code depending on the stateroom you booked?

Also, can I wear this or must it be a black tuxedo?

F033B6C1-8978-4D1A-9684-300119A667AE_zpsq9baqhqh.jpeg

It was a special birthday and my husband chose to wear his DJ with medals even though it wasn't a formal night, what this means was it was his choice, he felt comfortable, he enjoyed it and it meant a lot, and it had nothing to do with our cabin choice!