Dream Engine Trouble?

CappNJack

Onboard as well....we are guessing the problem began last night about 8-9:00 pm. You could feel a bit of a "jump" to the ship but we were in calm waters. Definitely traveling very slow - barely breaking the water as we go along. If we continue traveling at the current speed (just under 25 km/hr), we will be lucky to make it back to New Orleans for our original arrival time on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by mcfam5

While we are skipping the port of call, I wouldn't anticipate the cruise being cut short - we truly are not traveling fast enough to get there "early". We will be lucky if we make it on time! LOL. I haven't really seen unhappy people (except for the normal line up of people looking to complain and get something for free!) - just a busy Lido deck!

Edited by mcfam5

I wonder what will happen for the next cruise?

From an engineering point of view, they most likely already know the problem, have the faulty engine broken down, and parts on the way to NOLA. Then they can go thru normal turn around, and start fixing the ship, loading, and head back down the river slowly until fixed. Worst case, they drop one or two the 3 stops next week.

From an engineering point of view, they most likely already know the problem, have the faulty engine broken down, and parts on the way to NOLA. Then they can go thru normal turn around, and start fixing the ship, loading, and head back down the river slowly until fixed. Worst case, they drop one or two the 3 stops next week.

Hope youre right. We leave on the 27th

Just an update....we have been stopped for about the last two hours. The captain made an announcement around 2:15 pm saying we would be stopping for the technical team to work on the issue.

Well, this really depends on whether this is a problem with an "engine" or with the propulsion. If someone onboard can confirm whether there are two wakes or just one, will help clarify the situation. I don't think the possible loss of one "engine" (a diesel generator set) out of 6 would result in a reduction in speed to 12-13 knots. Even losing two diesels would allow about 15-17 knots. I suspect a problem with the propulsion, having one propeller completely out of service. This could mean a failure of the pitch control system, the propulsion electric motor itself, or the power supply and control to the motor (a variable frequency drive). Depending on what part of the propulsion system is involved, and what has failed, will determine whether or not the parts are available (many of these components are not "stocked" by the manufacturer, but built to order), and whether the repair will be accomplished quickly or not. Each propulsion motor has two sets of windings, and two control systems, so its possible for them to get half of the system running, and have one propeller at full power and one at half power until they can fix it completely. That would also give about 17-18 knots.

Just an update....we have been stopped for about the last two hours. The captain made an announcement around 2:15 pm saying we would be stopping for the technical team to work on the issue.

This reinforces my suspicion that it is a propulsion problem, not an engine problem. The inoperative propeller would be allowed to "freewheel" in the wake of the ship to reduce drag, and if they are stopping, that means they need to stop that shaft from freewheeling so they can work on it. You can't work on rotating equipment.

Well, this really depends on whether this is a problem with an "engine" or with the propulsion. If someone onboard can confirm whether there are two wakes or just one, will help clarify the situation. I don't think the possible loss of one "engine" (a diesel generator set) out of 6 would result in a reduction in speed to 12-13 knots. Even losing two diesels would allow about 15-17 knots. I suspect a problem with the propulsion, having one propeller completely out of service. This could mean a failure of the pitch control system, the propulsion electric motor itself, or the power supply and control to the motor (a variable frequency drive). Depending on what part of the propulsion system is involved, and what has failed, will determine whether or not the parts are available (many of these components are not "stocked" by the manufacturer, but built to order), and whether the repair will be accomplished quickly or not. Each propulsion motor has two sets of windings, and two control systems, so its possible for them to get half of the system running, and have one propeller at full power and one at half power until they can fix it completely. That would also give about 17-18 knots.

By chance ,are you Italian ?

I am wondering that to since I am suppose to be on it. Havent heard anything from Carnival.

Praying for best for you and crossing fingers! I know I sure wouldn't want my impending cruise to be impacted, so I'm hoping for the best for you too! :)