Recommendations for your favorite HAL foods?

pcs15

We haven't been on a HAL cruise for 2 years, but the last time I got some great tips from this forum on food items to try. I was a little more adventuresome and tried some excellent items based on recommendations from this board. I'd love a repeat of current favorites! We loved the bread pudding, meusli, chocolate croissants.... mmmm.... my mouth is watering! Thanks in advance!

Pat

I just love their bread pudding and vanilla sauce that is served in the Lido at lunch each day. I also really enjoy the days they prepare chinese or indonesian food at the cooked to order area of the Lido. :cool:

This is kind of funny, but I just LOVE their parmesian crusted chicken breast! Last time on board 2 of us split 3 entrees of it! My mouth is watering just thinking of it....

Mary

Mary, that is definitely one of my favorites too. It is always offered the last night of a 7 night cruise. It always seems I have eaten quite a bit of beef during the week so this is a great change by the end of the week.:)

Here are my favorites from my recent cruise on the Veendam.

Appetizers, Soups and Salads:

Steamed Mussels with Ginger, Garlic, Saffron and Lemon Grass

Quick simmered with shallots and garlic. Enriched with white wine and cream and served with fresh French bread

Caribbean Island Fish Cake

A tender mixture of mild wahoo with celery, onions, chiles and Sherry wine, dusted with crunchy cornmeal and served with a cayenne pepper sauce

Dutch Green Pea Soup

Simmered until meltingly rich with meaty ham hocks, celeriac and smoked sausage

Chiffonade of Bibb Lettuce with Tuna

Bibb lettuce, diced cucumber, tomato, olives, green beans and boiled potato with flakes of tuna, garnished with a hard-cooked egg

Dos Frijoles – Cuban Specialty

Spicy, full-bodied two bean soup with a zesty twist of orange

Thai Crispy Spring Roll

On a brightly seasoned rice noodle salad with a sweet chili sauce for dipping

Bahamian Conch Chowder

Creamy-chunky island-style chowder topped with a rainbow of roasted peppers

The Greek Salad

Crisp chopped romaine showered with feta cheese, tender artichokes, kalamata olives, sun-ripened tomatoes, red onion and cucumber

Entrees:

Island Seafood Curry

Plump shrimps flash sautéed with lemon grass, coconut and ginger in a spicy green curry sauce, served with almond basmati rice

Braised Lamb Shanks

In a rich-flavored red wine sauce with stewed root vegetables on roasted garlic mashed potatoes

Home Style Roast Turkey

Golden roasted and juicy, complete with harvest apple pecan stuffing, giblet gravy, zingy cranberry relish, carrots and just-like-Mom’s Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes

Braised Osso Buco

An Italian favorite. Meltingly tender veal shank slow simmered in white wine and fresh tomato sauce with a lemon garlic finish. Served on a mushroom risotto

Desserts:

Viennese Apple Strudel

The Austrian classic, made with fragrant cinnamon-scented apples and raisins, rolled in a flaky phyllo pastry and served with warm vanilla sauce

The Master Chef Rudi’s ‘Premiere’

A white chocolate chef “toque” filled with a sweetly delicate milk chocolate mousse and decorated with macerated berries

Apple and Cranberry Cobbler

Sweet-spiced compote baked under a tender golden biscuit crust and served with vanilla ice cream

Enjoy!

Roz

Not fair, Roz. I just finished a much too small lunch. :rolleyes:

O.K. this diner recommends the chilled soups. It's like having dessert before dinner---when you still have room! :D

Now, if you want to talk about the chocolate desserts...;)

suprisingly, my husband and i became VERY addicted to the "junky" nachos at the pool snack bar. :D

on sea days, we would have an early small breakfast, nice lunch and since we did not eat til 830, we needed a mid-afternoon snack, those nachos were quite tasty loaded with fake cheddar cheese, sour cream, guacamole, onions, refried beans, peppers, tomatoes. We enjoyed them as we played ping pong :p

also, all the sides at the Pinnicle were amazing with the best filet i ever had!

Ruth,

I don't care for the chilled soups...they remind me of melted ice cream.

The white chocolate chef's hat filled with chocolate mousse was a new one for me...to die for.

Lola,

I liked those cheeseburgers from the grill. Several times I'd make a salad from the salad bar and then go out and grab a cheeseburger, and that was lunch.

Roz

I've never tried escargot, even though I consider myself to be an adventurous eater. I live in the South, and those things look way too much like the slugs that infest my garden in the summer and crawl up the doors and windows. :eek:

Roz

I too love the Escargot and Caviar...

Also enjoy the Thai Beef Salad served in Pinnacle for luncheon and pretty much whatever they're serving from the stir-fry station in the Lido.

Oh yeah, those Lamb Shanks are to die for! :D

Archived