A Religious matter

deeko

Ignoring the interesting typo error (boars are pigs and we Jews do not eat pork), I do have a bit of a problem w the statement I highlighted although I may be over reacting. We sometimes invite friends to our Seders because they are friends and not because we want to teach them about our religion or because we want to provide an experience for them. This and the subsequent post on CC sort of sounds like a "wouldn't it be cool experience to do a Seder as long as I am on a cruise and I have the time to experience a Jewish experience" statement. This is probably not what was meant but this what it sounds like to me.

If a whole bunch of other passengers invited themselves to our Seder, it will no longer be a Seder but a cruise experience.

Sorry for being sensitive and I probably did not word this well but I would not invite myself to an important service of another religion just to see what it was all about unless I was specifically invited by one of the people who were celebrating the occasion. We would expect the same respect with regard to our Passover Seder.

DON

I understand what you mean, Don. However, as I understand it the Rabbi arranged for a section of the dining room to be reserved so that Jewish passengers and others could, if they wish, make a reservation to participate in the Seder. In a way, it was both a Jewish experience and a cruise experience open to all passengers. I would assume that the non-Jewish participants were invited as friends of of some of the Jewish participants. I don’t think it would be an event that would be promoted to the entire ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DH attends the ecumenical Protestant service on Sundays on cruises. On one of our Celebrity cruises, we became friends with the Catholic priest on board when he did the Protestant service. It was a Christmas cruise. There was a Protestant minister on our last HAL cruise, but I don't know if he was a volunteer or someone HAL comped a cabin to be on the ship. It was a 10-day partial Panama Canal cruise.

DH attends the ecumenical Protestant service on Sundays on cruises. On one of our Celebrity cruises, we became friends with the Catholic priest on board when he did the Protestant service. It was a Christmas cruise. There was a Protestant minister on our last HAL cruise, but I don't know if he was a volunteer or someone HAL comped a cabin to be on the ship. It was a 10-day partial Panama Canal cruise.

Would you happen know if Celebrity was providing a room for daily or Sunday Mass on that cruise? Based on what I've read so far, I would guess that for Celebrity, it was a one-off, and one should not expect to find it on their cruises.

Would you happen know if Celebrity was providing a room for daily or Sunday Mass on that cruise? Based on what I've read so far, I would guess that for Celebrity, it was a one-off, and one should not expect to find it on their cruises.

My guess is that Celebrity will not have a Roman Catholic priest on that cruise, but suggest you contact Celebrity directly for a more authoritative answer.

Smooth sailing :):):)

Ignoring the interesting typo error (boars are pigs and we Jews do not eat pork), I do have a bit of a problem w the statement I highlighted although I may be over reacting. We sometimes invite friends to our Seders because they are friends and not because we want to teach them about our religion or because we want to provide an experience for them. This and the subsequent post on CC sort of sounds like a "wouldn't it be cool experience to do a Seder as long as I am on a cruise and I have the time to experience a Jewish experience" statement. This is probably not what was meant but this what it sounds like to me.

If a whole bunch of other passengers invited themselves to our Seder, it will no longer be a Seder but a cruise experience.

Respecrt Don

D on, I see your point . A Passover Seder is not an 'evening's entertainment and those who will be reciting and c elebrating the Seder know it to be an important religious service. It is not intended to be a ' ship excursion', on board. Respect. is called for.

Sorry for being sensitive and I probably did not word this well but I would not invite myself to an important service of another religion just to see what it was all about unless I was specifically invited by one of the people who were celebrating the occasion. We would expect the same respect with regard to our Passover Seder. Some of the posts here make it sound like a 'stage play' and they want front row seats. Leave so me seats forthe people whom this is an important religious service.

Respect is the appropriate word.

Edited by sail7seas

I have cruised many times during Hanukkah. CCL has a giant menorah in the lobby, does HAL?

Since I will be on a partial PC during most of Hanukkah in December I am bringing my battery operated menorah for the celebration. Any latkes served?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have cruised many times during Hanukkah. CCL has a giant menorah in the lobby, does HAL?

Since I will be on a partial PC during most of Hanukkah in December I am bringing my battery operated menorah for the celebration. Any latkes served?

Yes! Latkes are served. I was on the Elation sailing from New Orleans one time. I showed up for the candle lighting at the menorah in the atrium and I was the only passenger there. I had to instruct the Filipino crewmember on how to light the menorah, said the blessings and then I had a whole platter of latkes for myself. (I did offer to share with a few people who walked by and said “what’s this?”)

We really appreciate HAL having a Priest on every sailing.

I really messed up with a cruise I booked for next March - turns out we sail on Palm Sunday and return on Easter Sunday! Since Easter is so early this year (April 1), I never checked it. While my DW is not thrilled about cruising during Holy Week, at least we have the appropriate services available onboard. Thanks HAL for bailing me out.

We really appreciate HAL having a Priest on every sailing.

I really messed up with a cruise I booked for next March - turns out we sail on Palm Sunday and return on Easter Sunday! Since Easter is so early this year (April 1), I never checked it. While my DW is not thrilled about cruising during Holy Week, at least we have the appropriate services available onboard. Thanks HAL for bailing me out.

(y)(y)(y)

Yes! Latkes are served. I was on the Elation sailing from New Orleans one time. I showed up for the candle lighting at the menorah in the atrium and I was the only passenger there. I had to instruct the Filipino crewmember on how to light the menorah, said the blessings and then I had a whole platter of latkes for myself. (I did offer to share with a few people who walked by and said “what’s this?”)

I sm sure you know Elation is not HAL........ Does HAL have menorah and latkes on all Hanukah cruises?

HAL has a menorah available for the Jewish observances.

I haven't sailed at Hanukkah so I can't say if there was one in the lobby or not, but it is always in the room for the services on every ship I have been on.

We have been fortunate to have had followers of Protestant (various), Catholic, Jewish, and Orthodox Christian faiths in our immediate family. Make for interesting services-wedding, christening, special holiday events,etc. We would jump at the chance to attend a full Seder on boars.

Sorry for being sensitive and I probably did not word this well but I would not invite myself to an important service of another religion just to see what it was all about unless I was specifically invited by one of the people who were celebrating the occasion. We would expect the same respect with regard to our Passover Seder.

DON

I think you actually did a fine job expressing your concern that, to you, it feels like your religious observance might be viewed by some as entertainment, instead of how you view it -- a special celebration.

I see your point, I think. In some ways, I agree with you. But my personal opinion is that any opportunity to build bridges between groups should be embraced.

And, unlike you, I'm probably not doing a great job of explaining my thoughts.

I think Celebrity now hires a priest just for very important Christian holidays--Christmas, Ash Wednesday, and Easter. The reason the priest was doing the Protestant service was the minister who was supposed to be on the cruise missed it due to bad weather in the Northeast. That was the cruise where our flight was delayed because our plane was stuck in New Hampshire for several hours. We finally made it to Fort Lauderdale several hours after we were supposed to arrive. Our luggage did not make the connecting flight when we changed planes in Orlando. Fortunately, we arrived a day before our cruise and the airline delivered our luggage to the hotel during the night. It was waiting for us in the morning.

DON

Actually, some Jews do eat pork, and shellfish, and don’t keep kosher...and they are still Jews. I’m not Jewish, but have many friends who are, and some with stricter standards than others (same as any religion). I’ve been to Shul and Sader during the High Holy Days, and our local Temple publically invites those of all faiths to attend Seder. It is in good faith in order to learn and understand the customs and beliefs of a different faith.

I totoally disagree it is just a “cruise experience” to those who are given the privilege of attending a shipboard Seder.

IMO, you are being overly sensitive and over reacting.

Peace to you...

This discussion made me curious, as I was aware of some parishes (Catholic) holding a Seder, which I have not attended and presume have an educational purpose (I'm sure that these are not pretending to be events of authentic worship). I found an online resource that concluded its advice about these in a respectful way:

'Jewish traditions and observances are not toys to be picked up, tried out, and discarded at whim by non-Jews. Taking on Jewish practices and observances of any kind is a serious matter and not to be done merely because doing so seems "cool" or a "good idea." If in doubt, don't. It is far better to stick to one's own traditions than to risk hurting and upsetting other people by indiscriminately co-opting theirs.' (Michelle Arnold, Catholic Answers)

So, my takeaway as a Christian is that, realizing the obvious (from this thread) different responses to the idea of letting uninvited people attend an onboard Seder, I personally would defer to those, even if one person,who want to keep the event closest to how they have traditionally had it (attended by Jews only). Excuse me if I'm making it sound as if such a decision should be influenced by someone outside the religion, like myself.

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

I just got back from shopping. Sorry that my post was confusing.

Our 38-day Voyage of the Vikings was from Aug 2 to Sept 9.

Barbara

Interesting. I thought VOV from Boston was always July to August and on Maasdam, Veendam or Amsterdam. I didn’t realize it was now departing so late and returning in September.

Actually, some Jews do eat pork, and shellfish, and don’t keep kosher...and they are still Jews. I’m not Jewish, but have many friends who are, and some with stricter standards than others (same as any religion). I’ve been to Shul and Sader during the High Holy Days, and our local Temple publically invites those of all faiths to attend Seder. It is in good faith in order to learn and understand the customs and beliefs of a different faith.

I totoally disagree it is just a “cruise experience” to those who are given the privilege of attending a shipboard Seder.

Peace to you...

Agree. I have been to reform services that invite all.

Just to weigh in on this, my husband and I have served as Guest Minister and musician for about 16 years with HAL. Earlier this year on the Grand Med., (Prinsendam)we had a very meaningful Sunrise Easter service outside on the fantail, by the Seaview pool. The sun rose over Athens as we sang worship hymns. We were delighted to have about 150 guests, of all faiths, to join us.The ship published it ahead, and everyone was invited. We hope to do the same in the Canarias this time.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Peace to you...

SEDER is not a part of High Holy days..... Seder is Passov ver. High Holy Days a re Rosh Hasahnoh and Yom Kippur. :eek: