Water, water everywhere but costs like Champagne to Drink?

ALPHYL

wow I paid only 9.00 for a 24 pack on Carnival. I will not be paying $72 for a case of water that's robbery!

9 bucks for a 24 pack of 1 liter bottles aint bad, still more than free though. :)

Why can’t everything be free?

I purchased this on NCL for my upcoming cruise

Bottled Water Packages 12-pack (1-liter bottles)

Hydrate yourself! Pre-order Aquafina® bottles of water that will be delivered directly to your stateroom.

It cost $33.54

That is a much less than you TA is telling you.

And I agree it is a rip off price, but I am like you, I like bottled water

I always carry my 28 oz ZERO WATER bottle on a cruise

But, that’s used when I do excursions, as I don’t know the quality of the water on some ports. It tastes great. I think I paid $12 for it at Walmart.....maybe another $20 for extra filters.

I also find the ship’s water quite good, too!

Dasani tastes like dirt. the ship water is far superior in taste, especially when you put some sliced lemon in it. i drink a gallon of water a day, we just bring our Nalgenes and fill them.

Shows the difference in taste buds, ship water tastes chlorinated to my taste buds. I like Dasani :)

Again, thanks for the suggestions re the Access Desk--very helpful. And as for which line charges for what--NCL charges to eat in "specialty dining rooms". On Oceania, no extra charge and the specialty rooms have 3Star Michelin quality food and service. Gratuities--included. Booze-- bring whatever you want on board--hard liquor included and as long as you do not consume it in public areas, it is perfectly acceptable and encouraged. Wine--buy some on land that is so much better than the plonk in the dining rooms. They will charge you a minimal corkage fee but the quality of the wine makes it worthwhile. And if you don't finish the bottle, they label it and will bring it to you wherever you are eating -- maybe even days later. Your bottle of great Italian or French wine which

you purchased on land will last until it is empty and it will find you everytime you want it. Oh, by the way, if you have a higher class of cabin, everyday a steward will bring you a tray of hors d\oeuvres and the mixes and ice for your pre-dinner cocktail--made of course with your own premium vodka or gin. . We will take it all on our veranda, enjoy the sun and sea and be grateful for every minute that we are being pampered. Like having bottled water (at no extra charge). To some it is a small thing, to me it says everything about the quality of a ship and whether it is just a money grabbing venture or whether it wants you to enjoy every minute of your trip.

I got what I paid for--a kid friendly boat that will make my grandchildren happy. But when I travel with my husband, I will go on Oceania, Azamara, Celebrity and not have somebody picking my pocket all the time..

Again, thanks for the suggestions re the Access Desk--very helpful. And as for which line charges for what--NCL charges to eat in "specialty dining rooms". On Oceania, no extra charge and the specialty rooms have 3Star Michelin quality food and service. Gratuities--included. Booze-- bring whatever you want on board--hard liquor included and as long as you do not consume it in public areas, it is perfectly acceptable and encouraged. Wine--buy some on land that is so much better than the plonk in the dining rooms. They will charge you a minimal corkage fee but the quality of the wine makes it worthwhile. And if you don't finish the bottle, they label it and will bring it to you wherever you are eating -- maybe even days later. Your bottle of great Italian or French wine which

you purchased on land will last until it is empty and it will find you everytime you want it. Oh, by the way, if you have a higher class of cabin, everyday a steward will bring you a tray of hors d\oeuvres and the mixes and ice for your pre-dinner cocktail--made of course with your own premium vodka or gin. . We will take it all on our veranda, enjoy the sun and sea and be grateful for every minute that we are being pampered. Like having bottled water (at no extra charge). To some it is a small thing, to me it says everything about the quality of a ship and whether it is just a money grabbing venture or whether it wants you to enjoy every minute of your trip.

I got what I paid for--a kid friendly boat that will make my grandchildren happy. But when I travel with my husband, I will go on Oceania, Azamara, Celebrity and not have somebody picking my pocket all the time..

You sold me. As soon as my child is grown, Oceania all the way.

I hate being nickled and dimed too. I’d rather just pay more up front so I know the true cost and can just enjoy everything. Before we had a child, I had been considering the smaller ships that were all inclusive. But I do like a bigger ship in general, so I will definitely try Oceania now. And thanks!

Let's make this simple. The water is expensive. Either pay for it or drink the ships water.

There. No more need to waste energy arguing about H2O on the internet with people you don't even know. :rolleyes:

Moving on to another world crisis for me to solve...

My hero!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You sold me. As soon as my child is grown, Oceania all the way.

I hate being nickled and dimed too. I’d rather just pay more up front so I know the true cost and can just enjoy everything. Before we had a child, I had been considering the smaller ships that were all inclusive. But I do like a bigger ship in general, so I will definitely try Oceania now. And thanks!

Eh. It might or might not offer more value when you look at all in cost. But there was a trending thread for awhile about Oceania being a nursing home. No thanks.

I do agree with the OP about celebrity, however. We also cruise them and they are nicely in the middle.

... Wine--buy some on land that is so much better than the plonk in the dining rooms. They will charge you a minimal corkage fee but the quality of the wine makes it worthwhile.

And if you don't finish the bottle, they label it and will bring it to you wherever you are eating -- maybe even days later. Your bottle of great Italian or French wine which you purchased on land will last until it is empty and it will find you everytime you want it.

Oh, by the way, if you have a higher class of cabin, everyday a steward will bring you a tray of hors d\oeuvres ....

I hope you realize these things are also true on NCL.

Eh. It might or might not offer more value when you look at all in cost. But there was a trending thread for awhile about Oceania being a nursing home. No thanks.

I do agree with the OP about celebrity, however. We also cruise them and they are nicely in the middle.

I’ve heard nice things about celebrity too. And also crystal.

I used to like princess. Still do, but more out of long time loyalty. Truth be told, my first cruise was only the love boat in 1976. Then another princess cruise in the early 90’s. I’ve watched it change tremendously over the years. Even from the first cruise I took with my husband in the late 90’s.

I actually prefer the way it used to be. I like dressing up. So does my husband. He owns a tuxedo and likes to wear it. And I have numerous cocktail dresses as we belong to a local club that requires them.

I also liked when wait staff knew you and you could tip per service given as opposed to a reuired amount. Things have changed a lot.

I am looking forward to checking out the haven though. And it’s an easy cruise for me. I will probably also do a disney one next. But when my son is okder, yea. We’ll probably switch to a different cruise line. Shame in a way as we are princess platinum. But they’ve just lost their touch over the years.

Yep, you have to choose based on the requirements for that particular vacation.

We do have people in here from time to time that say that sailing Oceania is about the same as sailing NCL in the Haven when you count all the costs. Seeing Oceania's pricing I think they are over-stating the equivalence, but it is an interesting point (especially as NCL has chipped away at the benefits for suite cruisers).

After NCL cut the price of the Aquafina water about in half, making it about the same price for the 1 liter bottles as my local markets, we quit complaining and just buy the expensive water.

The price quoted in the first post is for 24 liters of water at $44.95 plus $8.99 gratuity, for a total of $53.94 USD. Not sure what exchange rate NCL is using but that's about $71 CAD according to Google. That's where the higher price comes in.

BTW - it's interesting that you can find complaints from UK cruisers who are faced with having to store several liters of water in their cabin as their packages sometimes (always?) include 1 liter of water per day per person in the room. So for a 7 day cruise they have 14 of those monsters delivered the first day. Or something like that. The Brits are always complaining about something ever since the Irish survived their attempts at wiping them off the face of the earth.

In regards to baby formula, it’s sold next to distilled water, so I figured you were supposed to use distilled water; which is very different than arguing bottled vs tap water. But, I’ve never used powdered formula, so I don’t know how important using distilled water vs tap water truly is.

People going on a mega ship cruise are outraged over 12 plastic water bottles. Pot meet kettle.

This thread is hilarious, why do people think bottled water is better? Most of the companies just filter tap water and bottle it, advertise it to the brainwashed masses as "better". This product alone is proof that the advertisers have won. I wish I would have thought of a way to sell water for $8+ a gallon when I was younger!

I have done 3 cruises with Oceania.

This summer for the first time I am taking my son and his 3 children on

an NCL Alaska cruise out of Seattle.

I am diabetic and I need to always have bottled water on hand to : take meds, stay hydrated

etc. Plus the kids will drink tons if it they are warm.

I had my agent ask NCL if I could bring a case of bottled water on board--to ensure there would

always be some 24/7 x7. The answer was NO, but I could pre-purchase a Water package of a

case of 24 ml. bottles of water for $72.00. I am Canadian so add on becomes 20% more! This

same case at Costco or a supermarket costs $3.00 for 24 bottles.

I wanted to ask all you experienced NCL cruisers if NCL charges outrageous amounts for

EVERYTHING? What do they charge for a can of soda pop? I have always had bottled water in

my room gratis. Please tell me about your experiences with extra charges for ordinary things. I am not asking for champagne but water--at a reasonable price. How do you all feel about this? I'd appreciate knowing very much. Thanks--about to bail!

All I can say is cruising Oceania is very different from cruising a mid marketed cruise line. On Oceania you are paying a high price for luxury and lots of things included. ON a mid priced cruise line you are paying Golden Corral prices. pah The charge for water isn't unusual, though higher on NCL than some lines. Yes, it is pricey and a lot of people do not like the idea but it is fact. What we do is bring on an empty bottle or buy one on the ship and just keep filling it. Bottled water really isn't any different than tap water, people just don't always know this. We do drink bottled water often, but it is because it it easier to carry a bottle around with us than always get a glass. Heck some of our local restaurants are starting to charge for a glass of water. I am sure you will be just fine without the bottled stuff or you will have to splurge and buy it . As for soda, most people buy a soda package if that is what they drink all the time. I would rather pay for water than soda, it is healthier. :confused:

Now as for anyone even suggesting you threaten to sue is really stupid and totally out of place. Yes, you can call and explain your situation but I doubt it will make a difference because there is no difference in the quality of water, bottled or out of the tap, it is simply preference.

I will add, our travel agent just did an Oceania cruise. She and her husband loved it, but will they cruise NCL or other lines again?Of course they will. They love luxury lines and all that is included. They are not going to pay the price every time they cruise though. It sounds to me, from your last post, you are judging NCL before you ever have sailed her. If you can afford to cruise luxury good for you: enjoy. Remember though, many of us do not care what is included. Those lines are out of our price range and enjoy the mid priced lines. We choose the price we can pay, the type of cabin and decide for ourselves what extras work for us.

Edited by newmexicoNita

And what's wrong if they did? People should be able to bring bottled water (in my opinion) -- this is NCL trying to squeeze more money out of people. I also prefer the taste of bottled water to the tap water on board.

you do realize NCL isn't the only line that charges for bringing your own water on don't you?

I’m not a doctor. I’ll leave that between the op and his doctor. But ship policy says, ‘special needs’ and ‘medical requirements’. So it sounds like they make exceptions for certain people based on their medical conditions.

I have zero, I mean zero problems with someone being allowed to bring their own water onto a cruise ship. I also don’t know of any other boat that disallows this, although there could be some. But in the past, I never had a problem on other cruise lines.

I’m honestly shocked and confused as to why any one cares or feels that a person with diabetes who prefers to bring bottled water on with him shouldn’t be allowed to. I mean, who cares for crying out loud?!

First world problems if I ever saw them.

No one is judging as you seem to think. People are explaining there is no difference and there is no reason not to drink regular water. It has nothing to do with being a diabetic. The line has rules, fair or not. Of course some people care; if the company allows one person to do something why not allow all. All HELL would break lose unless a doctor says the person just have such and such for health reasons.

How does that make it OK?

of course it is OK, They have a right to charge whatever they want and for what they want. I was shocked the first time a restaurant charged us for a glass of water, but they had a right. I think this entire crap about bottled water versus tap water has gone overboard. If you or me, as well wants to drink bottled water, fine, we have to pay for it. I am surprised at the price of water at the airport as well, but people pay it and we live in a capitalistic society. Don't want to pay, don't use. It is that simple. Most of us grew up not even knowing what bottled water was. We did just fine.

My point of the post was simply to let the OP know, some mass marketed lines do charge. They are not top of the line, expensive like luxury lines and you are not going to get the free stuff you get on luxury lines, which you, in the long run pay for. This subject of the water comes up every few weeks with a new post. Just like paying DSC used to or smuggling booze on used to before the UBP was introduced.