First time RCCL traveler questions.

Hello, I have booked Oct.10.2016 Empress of the Seas for five days.

I have been on Carnival, NCL, and Holland America for a total of 12 trips, 4 of them solo trips.

This cruise was a great price and I have never done RCCL before because it always seemed too expensive. But lately I noticed there are a few solo cruises at prices I am willing to pay (Okay, I am a cheap bastard).

From what I can read on the forums this is a small ship, so I don't expect too much in features.

A number of messages suggest the Windjammer over the main dining room, do you agree?

I was always disappointed in the range of goods to be found in the Carnival ship stores, how are the ones on RCCL?

Is there a formal night on such short cruises?

Is there a meeting for solo travelers (not a singles hookup meeting) or am I on my own?

Is there anything SPECIAL about the Empress of the Seas that I must not miss while I am on-board?

Thank you for any tips.

I have been on Carnival, NCL, and Holland America for a total of 12 trips, 4 of them solo trips.

This cruise was a great price and I have never done RCCL before because it always seemed too expensive. But lately I noticed there are a few solo cruises at prices I am willing to pay (Okay, I am a cheap bastard).

From what I can read on the forums this is a small ship, so I don't expect too much in features.

A number of messages suggest the Windjammer over the main dining room, do you agree?

I was always disappointed in the range of goods to be found in the Carnival ship stores, how are the ones on RCCL?

Is there a meeting for solo travelers (not a singles hookup meeting) or am I on my own?

Is there anything SPECIAL about the Empress of the Seas that I must not miss while I am on-board?

Thank you for any tips.

Hello

not sailed on Empress (yet) but if the stores are the same as all the other ships I've been on then they don't carry a huge range, all I tend to buy is some vodka and maybe $10 watch. they do have a jewellry store and also a store which sells RC branded goods.

As for the formal night, I thought I'd read on other threads that this is very much a party cruise ship so not sure whether a lot of people would dress up if they do have it.

We love RCI so hoping that you have a great cruise, and from Empress the only way is up......

To be honest, the thing that's special about the Empress is that she's the Empress. She joined Royal Caribbean as a new build in 1990, so while she's had several refitting, she represents a kind of cruise ship that doesn't really get seen in the US market anymore.

Thank you for any tips.

I have not been on the Empress, but have been on her nearest cousin, Majesty.

We did the main dining room early and then stopped by the Windjammer late after a swim one night. I would say it depends on what you prefer eating that night and whether you want to deal with the length of time a dining room dinner takes verses a quick grab in the Windjammer.

The shops seemed to have very similar selections on all three of the cruises I have been on. I mean as in same bag / shirt / hat / jewelry with just maybe slightly different fabric or gemstones as the case may be. Majesty didn't have much of anything in the way of toiletries and what they did have was behind the counter. We accidentally tossed our tiny toothpaste and they had exactly 4 of the same toothpaste in a box under the counter in one of the shops.

There is a formal night, but most likely it will be quite relaxed. My experience is more of the ladies dress up, but even then it tends to just be nice dresses not full long evening wear. Very few of the men sported a tux. I think I saw two. More than half the men wore slacks, dress shirt, and tie. There were a number of men in slacks and a short sleeve dress shirt or golf shirt. Lots of women in nice maxis dressed up with jewelry and accessories. I was encouraged to think this was the norm prior to our cruise on short beachy cruises here on CC.

I believe there was a solo traveler meetup every day of every cruise I've been on with Royal.

We also have not been on Empress but have been on Majesty (and Monarch when she was around). We did My Time Dining and did not feel it was a long drawn out process. Not sure if you-as a solo-would prefer traditional. The shops were as described above-nothing I would say are "Must Buys" but they did have some nice logo stuff and the $10 sale. Also, would dispute that the 5 nighter, especially in October, is a party cruise. We actually sailed with kids during a school spring break and did not feel it was a "booze cruise" atmosphere at all. Even though she is a smaller ship, we still found lots to do both during the days and at night. Enjoy and have a great trip!!

Edited by newbiecruiser09

I am sailing Empress on Saturday. I learned there are no formal nights at all. While I do enjoy them it's made packing easier in my opinion. Overall the ship reviews have been improving with each sailing and I think it's personal choice on WJ or MDR. We rarely do WJ on any cruise except on boarding day and for early morning coffee but from recent Periscope tour the food choices in WJ on Empress looked good. Can't wait to see for myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We haven't sailed Empress but have been on 9 Royal cruises different ships,several on Carnival ,Norwegian and Holland.

We only eat at the buffets and overall for dinner the options in the Windjammer are MUCH better than on any Carnival cruise we've been on!

Edited by tidygirl

A big Thank You to all who replied to my questions. I think I may book a back-to-back to stay on the ship longer.

I've been reading that many are getting emails for a free cruise on this ship , inside. Certain dates, but wonder what kind of deal you could get if u choose to stay on?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A big Thank You to all who replied to my questions. I think I may book a back-to-back to stay on the ship longer.

AARRRHHH! My travel agent found out that she could get me the four day cruise just before the five day cruise I already booked for just over $200 CDN.

However, the airline would charge $250 for a flight change to a earlier date!

$250! It used to be $50 for a change of flight. Suddenly, the airline was charging me more than the cruise. So I left it at the 5 day cruise.

I am kicking myself, as originally I was thinking of driving down, if I had not already booked and paid for the flight I could change when I went to Florida.

In the future, I will only booked the cruises and only book flights at the last minute.

However, the airline would charge $250 for a flight change to a earlier date!

$250! It used to be $50 for a change of flight. Suddenly, the airline was charging me more than the cruise. So I left it at the 5 day cruise.

In the future, I will only booked the cruises and only book flights at the last minute.

Sadly, that's when fares are high too:(

Sadly, that's when fares are high too:(

I can drive from Ontario Canada to Miami Florida and back for less than $300. But since it takes at-least two days to drive down and two days to drive back I thought just this one time it would be better to fly.

Silly me.

The four day cruise would had been in a back to back to the five day cruise already booked giving me a nine day cruise on the ship. And since I can park my car for free at the condo complex long stays do not rack up parking fees.

From now on and departures from Florida will have me driving down instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember I was posting about not doing the back-to-back I planned? Well, I just talked to my travel agent and she told me that if I had booked that cruise I would have missed an entire day on-board because the port had been closed (no-one let aboard) because of the after-effects of the hurricane that just went by.

So now I am hapy that I did not get that extra cruise.

Question; If I had booked the cruise and flown down would the cruise line pay for my stay at a hotel/motel overnight while wait for the port to open.

To be honest, the thing that's special about the Empress is that she's the Empress. She joined Royal Caribbean as a new build in 1990, so while she's had several refitting, she represents a kind of cruise ship that doesn't really get seen in the US market anymore.

Totally agree! Just off Empress last Saturday and wish I could have turned back around and gotten back on. Empress is small, cabins are Small, bathrooms are SMALL.

BUT we thoroughly enjoyed the Excellent staff, always smiling, helpful, welcoming - just the Best. Enjoyed the "secret" spots to hang out, relax, read. Have fun exploring the ship - it doesn't take long and you'll be surprised (in a good way) at what you find. Fellow passengers were Very friendly, ready to chat. Many we talked to had been on multiple cruises.

Food in the both the MDR and Windjammer was very good. Shows were loud but good - excellent dancers. Loved that there were very few announcements, not at all intrusive, no hard sells, no photographers in your face constantly.

Enjoy!! I envy you! Have fun!! Remember - A cruise is what you make it.

I doubt it.

I don't know Bob. We know from the past that when the ship cannot get back into port and the next cruise is shortened, people are waiting at the embarkation port, having come in from near and far.

The next cruise would certainly have gotten a refund of some sort for the missed day, and I would not be surprised if Royal would have those guests put in for expenses incurred due to the loss of the day (including a night's hotel, food, etc.).

If any of the ships are late coming home and delay later cruises, I'm sure we'll find out exactly how Royal (and the other lines) end up handling it.

What kind of evil posting is this? I booked the Empress as my first RCCL cruise to get an idea how Royal cruises work. And you tell me the Empress of the Seas is a special ship of it`s own favour.

You do know what your EVIL post is forcing me to do?

Now to properly judge RCCL I have to book another cruise on a newer ship, I am forced to, forced I tell you, to book another cruise!

Oh, the inhumanity of it all. I mean what type of person forces people to book additional cruises to relax in the Caribbean, oh the horror, the horror :)

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger

What kind of evil posting is this? I booked the Empress as my first RCCL cruise to get an idea how Royal cruises work. And you tell me the Empress of the Seas is a special ship of it`s own favour.

You do know what your EVIL post is forcing me to do?

Now to properly judge RCCL I have to book another cruise on a newer ship, I am forced to, forced I tell you, to book another cruise!

Oh, the inhumanity of it all. I mean what type of person forces people to book additional cruises to relax in the Caribbean, oh the horror, the horror :)

Try a B2B out of San Juan, then decide......:)