FYI key card in room for lights and air

sooner33

Sorry to disagree. We want t on to keep room cool. And it does keep things charged if you want and our butlers have not unplugged anything

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would hazard a guess that the Butlers are working against MSC policy and it leaves them open to being disciplined or sacked if found out!

I would hazard a guess that the Butlers are working against MSC policy and it leaves them open to being disciplined or sacked if found out!

I would hazard a guess you are wrong.

First of all, if there was a fire hazard it would exist equally while sleeping, and no cruise line would in any event let a fire hazard exist.

Secondly MSC policy is clearly to pamper the YC guests and therefore within reason to have the butlers do just that, including respecting their choices on power to the receptacles.

Also, to clear up any confusion, the air conditioning stays on regardless of whether the card is in place. It does seem to knock off if you keep balcony door open, but am not completely sure on that one as it has been very temperate on our cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Trina ... This is quite an interesting one and I will be asking Marco Massa about it on our second Seaside cruise in April, there appears to be double standards being applied here regardless of what kind of cabin you have.

Trina ... This is quite an interesting one and I will be asking Marco Massa about it on our second Seaside cruise in April, there appears to be double standards being applied here regardless of what kind of cabin you have.

Well that sounds like a worthwhile goal for your cruise. You be sure to do that.

I thought the slot card was simply a tool to save energy, not prevent fire. As pointed out people leave devices charging overnight when they are asleep, and the risk of fire is equally as present at all times. Attention can't be paid to devices all the time they are charging.

It appears that some of you are missing the point, MSC along with other cruise lines point out that you should not leave the card in the slot while out of the cabin with items charging due to the risk of fire, I have had cabin stewards remove the card from the slot when I did try once to leave it in there in order to see what happened, on another occasion I came back to find chargers unplugged.

It does appear that double standards are being applied when it's alright for YC cabins to have a card in the slot while other cabins are not allowed!

It appears that some of you are missing the point, MSC along with other cruise lines point out that you should not leave the card in the slot while out of the cabin with items charging due to the risk of fire, I have had cabin stewards remove the card from the slot when I did try once to leave it in there in order to see what happened, on another occasion I came back to find chargers unplugged.

It does appear that double standards are being applied when it's alright for YC cabins to have a card in the slot while other cabins are not allowed!

I don't agree. I have stayed in non-YC cabins and my card has remained in the slot, and my items left plugged in and charging. So not a double standard - maybe just an inconsistent application of the policy, if indeed that is the policy.

On Meraviglia the Air Con is turned off when the balcony doors are opened.

I learned this when I complained to my butler that the A/C control was not working properly. and he demonstrated how the balcony doors interacted with the controls

Why would you want to have the A/C on with the door open?

Why would you want to have the A/C on with the door open?

to keep the room cool whilst you are on the balcony

I'm sorry if Ii left out a vital bit of info I my post

The door has to be closed with the handle in the locked position

so if you are on the balcony you have to be locked out of your cabin

it's no good just sliding the door closed

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Any card will work. If you forget to return the key from your hotel room, use it. Library card.

It's just a mechanical switch that goes on by having something inserted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

Not just any card. MSC room cards have wiring in them. By the way don't try to punch lanyard hole I cut the wire and needed a new card.

"Originally posted by marynjohn "Any card will work. If you forget to return the key from your hotel room, use it. Library card.

That being the case why would our Preziosa card not work in the Seaside slot?

"Originally posted by marynjohn "Any card will work. If you forget to return the key from your hotel room, use it. Library card.

That being the case why would our Preziosa card not work in the Seaside slot?

I don't think this is the case on the Seaside. I tried a few old cruise cards (from the Divina) and a few other cards I had available in the slot in our room on the Seaside in February. None of them worked. The only ones that worked were the ones for our current cruise.

We like to leave a card in the slot so that we don't have to use one that we might need elsewhere. Usually, we leave it in the slot, but pull it up when we leave to turn the lights out.

Not just any card. MSC room cards have wiring in them. By the way don't try to punch lanyard hole I cut the wire and needed a new card.

Sorry, MSC must be different from NCL. I have done it on NCL.

Mostly because I'm forgetful so unless I put the card back in my pocket, I leave my key in the slot when I go out.

Seems pretty expensive to install 2 card readers for every room instead of one card reader and a mechanical switch. It must save them a lot on electricity that offsets the cost.

Just a FYI especially if you are in yacht club. You can go to the concierge and get a blank key that you can out in the wall so you don’t have to use your key card for lights and air and can keep air going all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can’t you just use any plastic ‘credit card’ or does it have to be from the concierge?

to keep the room cool whilst you are on the balcony

I'm sorry if Ii left out a vital bit of info I my post

The door has to be closed with the handle in the locked position

so if you are on the balcony you have to be locked out of your cabin

it's no good just sliding the door closed

Pete

So if I want to sit on balcony and read while my kid sleeps inside I have to “lock” myself out of the room to keep the A/C running? I believe you but that’s a strange setup.

Do you know if the sensor is in the handle on the door, or is it on the latch on the fixed frame?

So if I want to sit on balcony and read while my kid sleeps inside I have to “lock” myself out of the room to keep the A/C running? I believe you but that’s a strange setup.

Do you know if the sensor is in the handle on the door, or is it on the latch on the fixed frame?

That is a very common setup. On older carnival ships there was a workaround well known, to tape a penny over the aperture or something like that. There may be a workaround but we have not found it.

Honestly, if you close the slider most of the way the room will likely stay cool enough and you will be able to hear your little one.

SB ... I was pointing out that you cannot just put any card into the card holder on Seaside ... :D

That´s what I said in previous posts... The question was whether the card of the Preziosa can be used. And I´d say no, as this might not have and RFID chip but a magnetic strip.

steamboats