Voting while cruising

Silversea Cruises

Read Silversea Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Silversea Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:53 AM.
Colorado
9,240 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Is it possible to be a good citizen (US in this case) while cruising? We leave home about the 26th of Sept and don't return tip about the 7th of November. Right during the mid-term elections and here in Colorado they are often squeekers. We can do mail in ballots but they won't be available when we leave, and we get back after the election. Anybody worked this out before? Is is possible to have a ballot sent to some remote island and mail it from there? Does Silversea send mail to ships? Or arrange for mail to be collected for certain places? We will be on the Discoverer and the most likely place to pick up things is the Solomon Islands- not exactly a mainstream place. Any thoughts? Or do I just bag it this year?
Coconut Grove, FL
77 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Originally posted by 5waldos
Is it possible to be a good citizen (US in this case) while cruising? We leave home about the 26th of Sept and don't return tip about the 7th of November. Right during the mid-term elections and here in Colorado they are often squeekers. We can do mail in ballots but they won't be available when we leave, and we get back after the election. Anybody worked this out before? Is is possible to have a ballot sent to some remote island and mail it from there? Does Silversea send mail to ships? Or arrange for mail to be collected for certain places? We will be on the Discoverer and the most likely place to pick up things is the Solomon Islands- not exactly a mainstream place. Any thoughts? Or do I just bag it this year?
Because of our travel schedule, we have for years gotten our absentee ballots. If you are home during an election, you can vote in person. I believe you can request these online. Check out your local Division of Elections site.
Good luck!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Martha

1993 Ocean Pearl Far East
1994 R 1 Seychelles
1995 Marco Polo Burma
1996 Marco Polo Singapore
1997 Paul Gaugin French Polynesia
1998 Crown Odyssey Inaugural Medit.
1999/2000 Marco Polo Millenium Antarctica
2001 Silversea Shadow Viet Nam
2002 Seaborne Legend B2B Transatlantic
2003 Silversea Cloud B2BTransatlantic
2004 Marco Polo Scandinavia
2005 Norwegian Wind Hawaii
2005 Silversea Wind 2B2B Middle East
2006 Silversea Wind 3B2B Transatlantic (100+ Days on SS)
2007 Oosterdam Alaska
Nov-Dec 2007 Regent Mariner Aust/NZ/LA B2B
Nov 2009 Regent Voyager Mumbai-Capetown
Nov 2009 Regent Voyager Capetown-Rio de Janeiro (100+ Days on RSSC)
Dec 2009 Regent Voyager Rio-Fort Lauderdale
April 2010 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera
May 2010 Amadolce River Cruise Paris-Budapest
Oct-Dec 2010 Silversea Prince Albert II (now the Silver Explorer): Costa Rica to Chilean Fjords to Antarctica (the 7 week Marriage Test)
Mar 2011 Regent Navigator FLL-FLL
April 2011 Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean
Sept 2011 Silversea Shadow 3 B2B Asia
April-May 2012 Regent Voyager 3 B2B Athens-Rome
Oct-Nov 2012 Colonial Harbors Regent Navigator Montreal-Miami
April 5-May 1, 2013 Silversea Whisper Capetown to FLL
June 2013 Celebrity Solstice Alaska
June 2014 Viking Gullveig Amsterdam-Basel
June-July 2014 Silver Discoverer Otaru (Sapporo)-Seward
October 2014 Silver Explorer French Polynesia
January 5-May 1, 2015 World Cruise Silversea Whisper LA-FLL
Sept 2016 Silver Whisper Southampton-Montreal
April 2017 Azamara Quest TA Miami-Barcelona

All 50 states, Canada, South Africa, Cuba, China, Japan, Cambodia, Thailand
Can frequently be found in The Cayman Islands...
Colorado
9,240 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Not sure that absentee ballots will be available before we leave and where would they be sent as we sail along? I think I may have found a solution- maybe. Apparently you can register before you leave then access your state's ballots online to print out then mail (http://www.fvap.gov). I think that might work. Just found the website but, wonder how long mail takes to get back to the states from the Solomon Islands?
Houston
177 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
You may be able to vote in National elections from US Embassies wherever you are, but most likely will not be able to vote state or local elections
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

MI, USA
5,969 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
If you can get (print) an official absentee ballot, you don't need to wait until Election Day to fill it out and mail it, you can do it as soon as you get it. The mailing time from the Solomon Islands, or wherever shouldn't be an issue.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Venetian Society - 26 days
Captain's Club - 30 points
Crown & Anchor -132 points
Colorado
9,240 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
The difficulty is that the ballots are not likely to be available before I leave. If they are, no problem. But this is the real issue- if we leave before they are available, what then. This is why the website I found may be the solution. The office is still checking to see when exactly they will be available.
Maui
1,997 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
5waldos -

Please do check the website we mentioned in post #5 above. You should have plenty of time to receive your absentee ballot at home (they are mailed 30 days prior to the election). You just fill it in and mail it right back to them. You don't have to wait to mail it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Seabourn / Silversea / Regent / Paul Gauguin / Cunard / Sitmar

Colorado
9,240 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
The election is on November 4th. We leave on September 26. That is way more than 30 days. Therein lies the problem.
592 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
The election is on November 4th. We leave on September 26. That is way more than 30 days. Therein lies the problem.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but we currently have the same problem with our up coming presidential election and cruise. We leave before the mail in ballots will arrive and will be in New Zealand on election day.

Wondering how you solved your problem.

Utahtea
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Holland America - MS Zuiderdam - Azores, Normandy & Jewels of the Baltic - 26 days - April 21, 2019
Holland America - MS Zuiderdam - Fjords & Highlands - 14 days - May 17, 2019

Holland America - MS Zuiderdam - Alaska Inside Passage - 7 days - July 24, 2010
Holland America - MS Westerdam - Panama Canal - 20 days - March 17, 2013
Holland America - MS Amsterdam - Great Alaska Explorer- 14 days - June 22, 2014

Holland America - MS Noordam - South Pacific & Australia & New Zealand Collector - 39 days - September 29, 2016
Holland America - MS Zaandam - Great Alaskan Explorer- 14 days - June 4, 2018
St Petersburg, FL
22 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
I thought we would have the same problem due to leaving on August 20th and returning on November 5th, but the election is on November 8th (first Tuesday after the first Monday). I mistakenly thought it was the first Tuesday. If Swaldos returns on November 7th, you should be good to go.
Bermuda
1,835 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by TampaBayJD
I thought we would have the same problem due to leaving on August 20th and returning on November 5th, but the election is on November 8th (first Tuesday after the first Monday). I mistakenly thought it was the first Tuesday. If Swaldos returns on November 7th, you should be good to go.
'Cept 5Waldos post is from 2014.

Utahtea is wondering how the problem was solved, if it was.
102,120 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by utahtea
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but we currently have the same problem with our up coming presidential election and cruise. We leave before the mail in ballots will arrive and will be in New Zealand on election day.

Wondering how you solved your problem.

Utahtea
The rules for this vary by State and are not set at the National Level just like many rules are such as even early voting with some states allowing early voting and others not.

You need to either go to your states web site for voting or contact them by phone.

Keith
Colorado
9,240 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Call your election office and they can set you up to vote. In many places you can download the ballot and mail it in-we were sailing around Papua New Guinea so no way we could mail it in. But they mailed mine out way early so we were able to vote. In fact they kept me on as being out of the country and just last month I finally got back on their regular roles.
592 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Call your election office and they can set you up to vote. In many places you can download the ballot and mail it in-we were sailing around Papua New Guinea so no way we could mail it in. But they mailed mine out way early so we were able to vote. In fact they kept me on as being out of the country and just last month I finally got back on their regular roles.
I'll call tomorrow. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks everyone.

Utahtea
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Holland America - MS Zuiderdam - Azores, Normandy & Jewels of the Baltic - 26 days - April 21, 2019
Holland America - MS Zuiderdam - Fjords & Highlands - 14 days - May 17, 2019

Holland America - MS Zuiderdam - Alaska Inside Passage - 7 days - July 24, 2010
Holland America - MS Westerdam - Panama Canal - 20 days - March 17, 2013
Holland America - MS Amsterdam - Great Alaska Explorer- 14 days - June 22, 2014

Holland America - MS Noordam - South Pacific & Australia & New Zealand Collector - 39 days - September 29, 2016
Holland America - MS Zaandam - Great Alaskan Explorer- 14 days - June 4, 2018
Colorado
9,240 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
No problem it was very confusing when we first had to set it up but once you get the right person it all works out. Voting is very important, especially this year.