Emerald Princess 22-29 July Review

pilot

Background: This was our first cruise as elites onPrincess. We cruise 2-3 times a yearmixing it up with Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, or HollandAmerica. We took our daughter,son-in-law, and two grandsons (11 and 9). Booked this cruise this last February, two BB connecting balconies (B258and B254). Each cabin had one pull down bunk. No great sales for this cruise, but ourlongtime TA got us $1600 OBC, free gratuities, and one night specialty dining.

I am aretired airline employee and was hoping that my wife and I could nonrev toSeattle (kids bought tickets). I neversaw plane tickets for less than $500 each one way. As the cruise got closer it didn’t look goodflying standby and I happened to check EZair on July 15. I got two one way MCI-SEA on Delta for $174each for Friday 20th.

Hadreservations for two rooms 20th-22nd at the ResidenceInn/Convention Center. Took the lightrail and walked 5 short blocks to the hotel. Hotel was very nice.

Sundaymorning took a LYFT to the port at 10:15. Cost was $11.00. The LYFT/UBERdropoff is a walk to the terminal. Ifyou can’t walk or have a lot of luggage, take a cab. They can drop you at the terminal.

No wait atcheck in. Dropped off bags. Went to the preferred line and the 6 of uswere in the first 10 on the ship at 11:00. Went to our rooms to get rid of carry on bags. Preordered water was in our rooms. Mini bar was stocked. I called room service to change out mini barsfor coffee cards. They said our coffeecards would be posted to our accounts at 3:00.

There was aletter in our rooms saying our specialty dining reservations were made for theCrab Shack for Monday night. Called theDining Line to change to Crown Grill.

Monday: First sea day was cool and windy.

Tuesday: Ketchikan. Great weather, sunny 81 degrees. Was planning on letting the boys fish downtown. You can rent poles at Dolly’s House for $20(no license if under 16). There were nosalmon in Ketchikan, so we skipped the fishing. Went to the Lumberjack show. Itwas entertaining and the kids loved it.

Wednesday:Tracy Arm/Juneau. Another nice day, sunny 75 degrees. Tracy Arm wasbreathtaking. Arrived Juneau at2:30. I had arranged a taxi, throughEvergreen, to pick us up at 3:30 to take us to Mendenhall Glacier. They have just added a $10/personsurcharge. We have a senior park pass,so the total cost was $106 to the glacier. For the 6 of us, this was a cheaper option than the tour buses. We drove by the city bus stop and it is along walk to the glacier. We walked to Nugget Falls. Spent a couple of hours then called ourdriver for pickup. He returned in 20minutes. While waiting for him wewatched salmon. As we were driving out abear walked in front of our cab. Thekids loved it. On the way back to townour driver drove us down to the water where there were hundreds of salmon thrashingit the water and eagles all over the place. Ride back to town cost $35.00. Taxi worked great for us.

Thursday: Skagway. Another nice day, sunny day 75 degrees. Did the three hour afternoon train. Enjoyed the views.

Friday: Sea day. Cool day.

Saturday: Victoria. Arrived 7:00. Nice clear evening70 degrees. Walked to town. About a 20 minute walk.

Sunday: Did walk off at 7:00. Uber/Lyft said it would be 40 minutes forpickup so we took cab to airport, flat fee $40.00. At airport at 8:00. We nonrev home. On 9:30 flight to LAXarrived at 12:15. Waited until 6:00 forthe non stop to MCI, home at midnight.

Comments onthe Emerald Princess. We had been on theEmerald several years ago and she is still in good shape and is very clean. The staff is very friendly. Overall the food is good. The Crown Grill was excellent. We ate in three nights in Anytime Dining andit was very good. Trident Grill andpizza was good, International Café was good. My only negative comment on the entire cruise is the buffet. Note: This is my opinion...others may differ and their opinions will not offend me. I didn’t think the food was very good. The selection was poor and didn’t taste verygood (both kids liked it). I joked to my wife that “chow lines” in my Navy dayswere better. The presentation was awful (looked like “slop” in a bowl). I must say our last four Princess cruiseshave been on the Royal and Regal, and their buffets are great.

Overall thiswas an excellent cruise and I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.

Thanks for your review. We are on the Emerald in September, first time on Princess. Considering avoiding the buffet when possible. Did you go to the Crab Shack or the Salty Dog Gastropub - they sound good? We aren't really steak people so don't know if we will try the Crown Grill.

My adult son and I were on the Emerald in June. We had a wonderful time. The ship and crew and staff were great. We had a free Specialty Dining from our TA. We went to Share. We loved it. Do not think little kids would like it to much. We ate anytime dining in the Michaelangelo DR the other nights. We were both very pleased with it. I agree with your opinion of the buffet. I did not enjoy what I ate there. I also thought the dessert menu in the DR was not the greatest. This was my fourth Princess Cruise and I always liked the Buffets. but this time it did not appeal to me. We ate there for one breakfast and a couple of lunches. My son liked the grill and the pizza. I loved the IC. We ate breakfast there all the other days, and I ate lunch from there after a couple of buffet visits. We did eat one dinner in the buffet and it was OK. Overall, the cruise was wonderful. I think the Emerald is a beautiful ship. It was very clean and looked great. My first time on her was in 2012.

Thanks for your review. We are on the Emerald in September, first time on Princess. Considering avoiding the buffet when possible. Did you go to the Crab Shack or the Salty Dog Gastropub - they sound good? We aren't really steak people so don't know if we will try the Crown Grill.

No, we didn’t do either. Looked in on the Salty Dog a couple of times. Not very crowded.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We we were on the same ship/same dates. I agree fully with MOST of OP's comments.

I do disagree with his buffet comments; I found it to be a fine choice for breakfasts and embarkation day lunch.

As to his comments about Navy chow lines being better, as an ex submariner, I completely disagree. I was able to recognize it as food.

;)

We were onboard same time. Agree with everything - buffet was awful - tired, old, dried out food. The dining room wasn't much better- all entrees were dry and tough- beef, fish, chicken. We were 21 days on Royal this winter and food was far superior.

Everything else was wonderful - fabulous cabin steward.

Only snafu was disembarking in Juneau - took us 40 minutes in line to leave ship. Highly recommend using Seatac program which issues boarding passes and luggage tags. Before disembarkation - leave luggage out last night and see it again at final destination in baggage claim.

Crew was wonderful to our 9 year old granddaughter. She especially enjoyed the Skagway visit to the mushers dog sled camp and meeting the puppies.

We did the Emerald July 8-15. Chilly and rainy but a great cruise! I agree with the buffet being tired and not great. We did several breakfasts and lunches in the MDR which was very good. We did the Salty Dog special lunch on the free day. Huge line when it starts but walked in when the first group was finished. Very good fish and chips. Absolutely loved the Crown! Lobster was fantastic as were the soup, salad and dessert.

Wholeheartedly agree with using the Seatac program. We had a red eye home that Sunday so it was great to explore Seattle without luggage.

We did the wilderness exploration and crab feast in Ketchikan and still dream of the all you can eat crab!

We did the mushers camp in Skagway and loved it as well!

To the Op and others who have taken this cruise this year, would you please tell me if the men were required to wear jackets in the diningroom on formal night. I know the printed “rules” and don’t want to start a debate would just like to know what your experience was. Thank you

To the Op and others who have taken this cruise this year, would you please tell me if the men were required to wear jackets in the diningroom on formal night. I know the printed “rules” and don’t want to start a debate would just like to know what your experience was. Thank you

On the formal nights my Son-in-law and I both just wore shirts and ties, no jackets. Did see several suits and sport coats, but also several men wearing shirts, no ties, and slacks. I wasn’t looking too close, but I don’t remember seeing anyone in shorts or T-shirts.

1600 OBC??????...for 2 balconies? if that is what your TA got for you I want your TA.;)

Small correction. Total OBC was $1500. There was additional $138 refunded for Government Port Tax. We also got free gratuities for the 6 of us and Specialty Dining for 6. I will say I have never paid close to this much for a balcony on Princess. So the OBC eased the pain a little, but the family enjoyed it, so it was worth it.

July got off the Emerald did the July 29-Aug 5th.. ship is great crew our statesperson (Clifford) was great but the buffet was awful...I was really surprised because we have saled with Priness a few times and had no problems with the food...Loved the cruise but not the food..

uly got off the Emerald did the July 29-Aug 5th.. ship is great crew our statesperson (Clifford) was great but the buffet was awful...I was really surprised because we have saled with Priness a few times and had no problems with the food...Loved the cruise but not the food..

Clifford is indeed a wonderful steward and does a super job on the Emerald. :D

We loved the ship, loved the crew, and loved the food in the MDR. I agree, sometimes the buffet does serve "mystery casseroles" that don't have the best presentation.

Pilot - Thank you for a great review, and I'm sure your family will always treasure these priceless memories.

We were onboard same time. Agree with everything - buffet was awful - tired, old, dried out food. The dining room wasn't much better- all entrees were dry and tough- beef, fish, chicken. We were 21 days on Royal this winter and food was far superior.

Unfortunately this less than appealing food seems to be the trend on the older Princess ships and is one of the main reasons why I lean towards sailing only the Royal class ships.

Interesting read! I was on Emerald for 30 days in March, thought the food in the dining room was fine. It wasn't presented as well as my cruise on the Royal last Fall, but still good. I don't usually eat much beef but prime rib and filet mignon were excellent. Traveling alone, I ate all my evening meals in the dining room. One of my table mates ate beef many evenings, seeing his, I decided to try it when the menu repeated.

I'm not a fan of buffets, eat my breakfast and lunch at the International Cafe. I'm always on longer cruises and find I can control my eating habits if I avoid the buffet area.

As a follow up to our cruise...I received the "Refundable" OBC in the mail yesterday. That's 15 days after we got off the ship. Not too bad. Still don't understand why they just don't post the credit to your credit card like RCCL and Celebrity.