Silver Explorer Adventurer or Explorer Class

Eye of the wind

We did explorer class twice (404 I think). It was fine for us and no undue noises were heard. You have a nice sized window, the bed with night tables, a tiny round table and 2 arm chairs. The closet was fine and there are drawers and cabinets built in. We had plenty of room except our suitcases wouldn't fit under the bed. We put them in the corner and used them for dirty laundry so no problem but you can also have them removed from your room to storage. The bathroom is a bathtub/shower and a sink and toilet with a medicine cabinet on the wall and enclosed shelves next to and below the sink. Not fancy but certainly sufficient.

We were in Explorer Class for 17 days in Antarctica; no issues. We will be in Explorer Class for 23 days in Arctic this year; don't anticipate issues there either.

Marc

Marc - I notice you live on the far side of the moon -- on my bucket list! First time I've met anyone from there -- how's your weather....:):p;):D

Marc - I notice you live on the far side of the moon -- on my bucket list! First time I've met anyone from there -- how's your weather....:):p;):D

Weather's good; location "selected: by witness protection program. I belong to a select group of cc'ers having participated in my first cc onboard get together in 2002; thus the need for witness protection program. ;)

Marc

Weather's good; location "selected: by witness protection program. I belong to a select group of cc'ers having participated in my first cc onboard get together in 2002; thus the need for witness protection program. ;)

Marc

You sound very interesting -- looking forward to meeting at some point on board Silversea, either port or starboard -- not the far side...;)

We were in 406 on our first Explorer cruise. No excessive problems with noise or anything else, except like caradara, our luggage would not fit under the bed. We put one piece in the corner and had them store the other. It was cozy, and we did opt for a vista cabin on our next cruise, but I would stay in 406 or similar again.

We were in 403 last February, not the best experience. We were however on a very poor crossing to the Antarctic, very noisy indeed with the waves crashing against the hull. If we choose to go again I would go for the very best suite we could afford.

I was a 17 night Antarctic cruise in an Adventurer suite. Loved being on Deck 3 close to Reception and the zodiac loading area. The only issue I had was when the portholes were closed for a few days. I got claustrophobic and get out of the suite early. Next time I'd step up to an Explorer on Deck 4.

I took duffle bags for my trip

They fold into nothing

We were in 309 to arctic

Closet gigantic room could be divided by slider

Into two rooms we had two windows

Not portholes

I thought room was great

Mostly we just slept there

Too busy with the activities of the day

I did bring a device to convert power and also a set of extra outlets

Needed if you need to charge stuff

I can't remember the actual device name but will look up on amazon if anyone needs the info

It was heavy to carry and I had it in my carry on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Elginjock,

We sailed on the Explorer in February last year. I wrote a comprehensive review which you can read on this web site.

You are right in one respect, particularly on this cruise in that you don't spend a lot of time in your suite. It really depends on the Drake passage crossing, if its rough, you will feel it in that suite, they call it the Drake lake or the Drake shake. We got the Drake shake going and it was rough!!

A lot of noise with the waves crashing against the hull, and a rolling movement which was makes you fell queasy.

Overall, after the crossing the rest if breathtaking, you will enjoy it very much.:)

Thanks Fudge(Steve & Bev).Enjoyed your report we are not prone to motion sickness as we were on the Shadow last year Tokyo to Anchorage and it was rocky. One question for you,does the ship have sufficient rubber boots or should we arrange rental prior to boarding? Donna

Eliginjock,

That being our first "cold" cruise we went to "go outdoors" retailers. I think they are nationwide. We first looked on the SS web site to see what their clothing package was. They show a list of what you should take.

Of course you pay premium price for warm clothing with them. If you want to save time shopping/packing you can book with them. We got all our clothing from go outdoors at a fraction of the cost including Harry Hall snow boots for £25 on offer, they were £50. They were perfect for the trip.

To answer your question, yes there were plenty for rent, but we didn't want to chance not having our size.

Hope this helps.:D

Many thanks to all for the advice. Busy scouring all local outdoors shops for base layers etc etc been successful in new year sales! Will probably rent neoprene boots to be on the safe side in case Ship does not have our size. Decided not to take boots from home. Donna

Because we have been on this cruise we decided that ordinary wellington boots would suffice, put thick socks inside to keep cosy. I take your point though, its carrying them that's the problem.