RCCL refuses to get involved.

Guest maddycat

Guest maddycat

RCCL refuses to help their passengers who park at Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne. The long term parking is adjacent to Bayonne Drydock. Cars are damaged due to paint overspray. This lot is only used by RCCL and Celebrity cruise passengers. The lot is in use 365 days a year. The parking lot should be moved away from the drydock yard. RCCL won't help get the lot moved. The thread below is on the eastcoast departures board.

Car Finish damaged at Bayonne Parking Sept 2009 - Cruise Critic Message Boards

you do not have to park your car we live within a hour of cape liberty why dont you just have take a shuttle there then you dont have to worry about the paint. parking is only optional people who fly into this port dont have to deal with there cars its only optional

you do not have to park your car we live within a hour of cape liberty why dont you just have take a shuttle there then you dont have to worry about the paint. parking is only optional people who fly into this port dont have to deal with there cars its only optional

What?????

Perhaps RCI should inform people with reservations sailing out of this port that they are aware that cars parked in this lot have sustained damage and customers part there at there own risk. Doesn't take much effort on RCI's part to make their customers aware. Obviously RCI knows about the situation. Heck, we all know about it and it has been an issue for a very long time. Does RCI not think that people returning from a cruise are going to a bit annoyed to find their cars damaged? And they will be even more annoyed when they find out that RCI is well aware of the issues with this parking lot.

Guest maddycat
I'm not flaming, just asking what you expect them to do? RCCL does not control the port.

I expect RCCL to insist that their passengers are taken care of properly. They can insist that the parking be moved. At one time the parking was on the other side of the terminal and there were no problems. No cars were damaged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruzaholic41

I'm not flaming, just asking what you expect them to do? RCCL does not control the port.

I expect RCCL to insist that their passengers are taken care of properly. They can insist that the parking be moved. At one time the parking was on the other side of the terminal and there were no problems. No cars were damaged.

:confused: I too am confused about why you would expect the cruiseline to do anything about this. You do have a choice about how you will travel to the port. Do you expect the cruiseline to get after airlines that have flights that are delayed/people who have accidents on the highway from your home?

Guest maddycat

We don't think that we are asking too much. When we cruise with RCCL or Celebrity from Cape Liberty we want to drive to the port. We also want to be able to park our car safely. When we return from a cruise we expect to find our car in good condition.

Is RCCL even required to provide there guests parking? I believe this is a port responsibility, not RCCL's. Contact the port authority.

Okay, I know I will get flamed.

We have driven up and parked in the lot before and have to say, it is a lot more convenient then flying in.

People have a choice but in all honestly, why should people that want to drive and park be made to feel like they are responsible for their cars being damaged??

I guess (except for forces of nature like hail, flooding, snowstorm etc..that really is beyond anyone's control) one would expect that a parking lot provided would be a secure place to park one's car.

I would be livid to pay $$$$ for a cruise then to have to deal with damage to my car. Maybe I am the only one:cool:

:confused: I too am confused about why you would expect the cruiseline to do anything about this. You do have a choice about how you will travel to the port. Do you expect the cruiseline to get after airlines that have flights that are delayed/people who have accidents on the highway from your home?

Lets see, the cruise lines are creating more homes ports for their vessels so that more people will not have to undergo the inconvenience and expense of flying to a cruise. That means more people driving. So the city, Newark?, puts in a parking lot that they CHARGE people to park in and generates income. I have never been in this lot but I suspect there most likely is not a sign warning that numerous cars have been damaged in this lot from flying paint.

Now what do I expect from RCI? At the least I would expect RCI to inform me about a problem that they are well aware of. Secondly, how about RCI letting the city know that plently of its customers are becoming ripped when they return and find their cars damaged.

Do people here find the idea that RCI should go to bat for its customers to be totally absurd?

Just reading this thread and had to join in.

In UK all car parks whether they are shopping centres, ports, airports, hospitals etc have a sign that the driver parks at their own risk.

Is that not the case in the US.

If you park in the said car park (lot) and another car reverses into you while you are on your cruise do you hold RCCL responsible.

On the flip side park in this lot and get a free respray:D

The one responsible is whoever is failing to control their paint spray... I don't understand why it's being described as if it's some natural occurance that should be avoided... it should be prevented. The paint crew should use walls, fans, or do whatever they have to do to prevent their airborn paint from leaving the area and causing damage.

If the city is making money off the lot they should have some responsibility too, but definately not the cruise line -- they simply have nothing to do with the issue. It's not fair to say that RCI is aware of the problem... RCI is a company. Some of its employees may be aware of the problem, but I bet most are not, and if it's not anybody's established job to send out these kind of warnings, then nobody can be expected to.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and I do not use this parking lot.

Parking is provided at ports by the port, not by cruiselines. The cruiselines aren't remotely involved with where, how, when, how much etc. Complain to whoever actually owns and profits from it. You can't blame the cruiseline for something occurring in a port they happen to use.

And yes, in the US also, you also park at your own risk. Signs are posted in just about every lot I've been in.

We don't think that we are asking too much. When we cruise with RCCL or Celebrity from Cape Liberty we want to drive to the port. We also want to be able to park our car safely. When we return from a cruise we expect to find our car in good condition.

Who owns the garage or lot? That's where the problem should be addressed - not the cruise line. If you park at the airport and something happens to your car, do you "blame" the airline - or the airport authority?

Excuse me, but technically, if you live in New Jersey, you own the parking lot, in the form of the Port Authority of New Jersey. I would suggest that you write a letter to your State Representative and State Senator. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey owns the Cape Liberty Cruise Port. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are just tenants.

Who owns the garage or lot? That's where the problem should be addressed - not the cruise line. If you park at the airport and something happens to your car, do you "blame" the airline - or the airport authority?

If I knew that customers frquenting my business were regularly having their cars damaged at an off site parking area I would certainly do my best to warn them to not park there and I would most assuredly notify the owners of said lot of my customers' concerns. And that would be especially true if the lot had been installed to basically serve my customers. I believe, but do not know for a fact, that this lot serves mostly RCI customers and came into being because RCI started porting its ships there?

But of course, that is just me. I think it is called taking care of the people that take care of me by using my services.

Maddycat,

Here is a link to a 2005 thread regarding overspray at Cape Liberty.

We got lucky the first time we parked there at the present lot, then they moved the parking lot to the other side of the terminal, and we parked there twice with no problems, but now I'm hearing they moved the parking back to the original problem area :confused:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=225074&highlight=overspray

I have never been in this lot but I suspect there most likely is not a sign warning that numerous cars have been damaged in this lot from flying paint.

But I would bet that there is a notice somewhere (posted or on the parking receipt) that you park at your own risk and that they--the parking authority-are not responsible for damages not caused by their agents.

People have a choice but in all honestly, why should people that want to drive and park be made to feel like they are responsible for their cars being damaged??

Because they are responsible for the decision of how they arrive there and where they choose to park their car.

If you park in the said car park (lot) and another car reverses into you while you are on your cruise do you hold RCCL responsible.

Exactly. If anyone should be held responsible I would think it would be the painters' company if they are not taking appropriate measures to minimize their spray.

If I knew that customers frquenting my business were regularly having their cars damaged at an off site parking area I would certainly do my best to warn them to not park there and I would most assuredly notify the owners of said lot of my customers' concerns. And that would be especially true if the lot had been installed to basically serve my customers. I believe, but do not know for a fact, that this lot serves mostly RCI customers and came into being because RCI started porting its ships there?

But of course, that is just me. I think it is called taking care of the people that take care of me by using my services.

The dry dock in NJ is now closer to the parking area thanks to them moving the (A) drydock, or (B) the parking area. The answer is B. Yes, the cruiselnes are aware of the problem, but they, along with the loyalists here refer you to someone else. :mad:

When was the parking lot moved? We cruised out of this port in May 2004 on RCI and many of us found our cars with overspray when we returned. The lot was to the right of the terminal; is this still the location?

I don't remember who we contacted at the port, but our expenses to have the overspray removed was paid.

When was the parking lot moved? We cruised out of this port in May 2004 on RCI and many of us found our cars with overspray when we returned. The lot was to the right of the terminal; is this still the location?

I don't remember who we contacted at the port, but our expenses to have the overspray removed was paid.

Right now - parking is as close as it gets to the dry dock yard. But my guess is that they were there first.:rolleyes:

Archived