How much did it cost to cruise in 1995?

We paid about $1200/pp for an INSIDE cabin on the old Nordic Prince in 1994! It was alot more expensive back then. That's why I don't understand all of the complaining about extra fee restaurants etc. You can eat in the specialty restauants every night and stay in a balcony for way cheaper than an inside 15 years ago. And figure in the cost of living increases over 15 years and it is even cheaper today!

Can anyone here can tell me what a cruise on Royal Caribbean cost in 1995?

If you wouldn't mind sharing, could you give the approximate price per person and what stateroom category it was?

Thanks!

just dug out my Monarch of the Seas invoice (I have every cruise) Southern Caribbean out of SJU in September 1995.

Had an outside, cabin 7044 (hated it!). Cost was $2323 total for 2.

Can't help you with RCI but my first 7 night cruise on the Carnival Jubilee to the Mexican Riviera cost me (and my friend) a little over $700 each for an inside cabin on Deck 2 (awful horrible cabin btw).

I can't believe I've cruised for less 15 years later. I would never complain about extra fees for certain restaurants. Totally worth it IMO.

My first cruise was on The Big Red Boat (Premiere Line) in 1992. It was a 3 day cruise and we spent $2100 for 2 adults and 3 kids all in one room. I booked a 4 day cruise on Majesty for just me and my husband for $553. I think cruising is a bargain today.

My first cruise was a family cruise to Mexico in 1976 and it cost around $2400 for a 10 day cruise for 2 adults and me. Next cruise was in 1992 on the Song of America. It cost us about $700 each for a 7 day cruise in an inside cabin.

Taking inflation into account, the basic cost of a cruising is very inexpensive. They have shifted their philosophy charging us for the things that are worth it to us.

I agree with all of the above who say that cruising is a bargain. Not only is it cheaper than 15-20 years ago, there is a LOT more to do on the ships.

We really have no legitimate reason to complain about small surcharges (I'm guilty of doing it also) when you consider how much you get for the relatively low cost.

Scott, my honeymoon cruise on Sovereign in 1997, inside Deck 2 was something like $1,896 for the two of us - 5 day cruise.

I couldn't imagine going back to an inside on deck 2 in a sovereign class ship and paying that price again but the food was much better though. :p

Good times! :D

We didn't know the closet we had would spark the cruise obsession!

I paid $37 pp for a one day cruise to Bimini in the late 1980s. We used to do the 2 for 1 or the free the week of your birthday Carnival cruises to Nassau or maybe it was Freeport.

I also did the Big Red Boat in the 1980s, 2 for 1, $99, plus tax of some sort.

I lived in Boca Raton, so it was close to Port Everglades and I bitched about the parking rate being almost as much as the price of the cruises.

Didnt cruise after 1990 until a couple of years ago and now Im in Texas, when I could have been doing it if I had time off work while I was so close to a port in Florida.

1992 4 nights in an oceanview cabin on Viking Serenade was was $569 p/p. Each category upgrade was $10, but there were a lot more categoriies (from the base price) then, and no balconies. Maybe west coast cruising has always been cheaper. This was San Diego-Catalina Island- Ensenada. The food was much, much better though.

In 2001 we paid 3200 for a 7 day western for 4 in a cabin, we are sailing on Liberty next week and we paid 2000 for 4 in a cabin. As long as they keep building new ships the prices will keep low I think. With the economy struggling it should be good for a couple of years.

Brian J

1986 on the Norwegian Caribbean Lines M.S Starward. It was a standard 110 square foot oceanview cabin. $1500.00 per person. No balcony cabins back then. Seven day cruise to the western Caribbean. So basically three grand for two people for a seven night cruise.

That's why I shake my head when some of the people today try to turn cruising into a Wal Mart experience with their own nickle and dime garbage. Cruising today is a much better value and we have so many more options. Back in 1986, the ship that I cruised was a 16,000 ton ship with tiny cabins. You ate three meals a day in the dining room and each meal was at a certain time. You missed a meal, there was no lido dining room to hit to make up for it. No room service. There was a midnight buffet but like all midnight buffets, they were lacking.

Entertainment was held in a very small one level lounge and was seriously lacking compared to what we have today. Cruising has come a long way. Some good and some not so good.

Wow!

Thanks for all the responses, everyone.

Although this wasn't my intent when starting this topic, it is interesting to note just how much the fares have decreased in the last 15 years - especially when inflation is accounted for.

According to the source I found, we'd have to add approximately 45% to the price of 15 years ago to account for inflation.

It kind of puts all the extra surcharge options into perspective.

Archived