Help!! Deck 9 Overhang M-Class Infinity - Picture

Ciyra

I just booked a 9131 on Celebrity Infinity for a 15 day Panama Canal cruise. But I'm hearing things about an overhang and support beams that ruin pictures. We want to go Aqua Class so our only options are 9 or 11. Here's a picture showing our overhang. Should we move to 9125 which appears to have a lesser overhang or just move to one of the rooms on 11? Another thing to think about regarding moving to 9125 is that 9123 next door has a pullout couch so there is the potential for children and after being next to a room with kids during our honeymoon, that is the one thing I really really don't want.

We had a top deck room on Carnival Splendor a few years back and were slightly irked by lack of balcony privacy since there was a public deck right above us and they could look down on us, which is why I booked 9. But now I'm worried. What to do... what to do...

InfinityPortDeck9.jpg

I just booked a 9131 on Celebrity Infinity for a 15 day Panama Canal cruise. But I'm hearing things about an overhang and support beams that ruin pictures. We want to go Aqua Class so our only options are 9 or 11. Here's a picture showing our overhang. Should we move to 9125 which appears to have a lesser overhang or just move to one of the rooms on 11? Another thing to think about regarding moving to 9125 is that 9123 next door has a pullout couch so there is the potential for children and after being next to a room with kids during our honeymoon, that is the one thing I really really don't want.

We had a top deck room on Carnival Splendor a few years back and were slightly irked by lack of balcony privacy since there was a public deck right above us and they could look down on us, which is why I booked 9. But now I'm worried. What to do... what to do...

InfinityPortDeck9.jpg

I would stay right where you are at. Why?

1. you have better protection from the sun entering your cabin, and it's something that when we were on the Infinity (we just got off from a San Diego to FLL) when the sun was in our cabin (again a sky suite on deck 6) the ship could not hold the heat down in our cabin.

2. The only thing that you can not shot with a camera from the cabin that you chose, is upwards. We have always had great overhangs in our cabins...and if you camera has a telescopic lense...you will be glad that you have additional protection for your camera acting correctly, having the sun away from the lens.

You will enjoy this cruise, especially if you have never experienced the crossing of the Panama Canal. Take the time to spend at the lectures on the canal by a very experienced speaker...Uncle Marty. He has incredible knowledge of the background of the canal, and what is coming in the future.

Enjoy your cruise, and if I can offer any other advise, please post again.

I cannot give out any other information.

Rick

Yes yes yes yes take 9125! We had that cabin on the Millennium and it had a less obstructed view than my father in law had in 9105.

It doesn't really affect your view unless you are taking photos from your balcony, but for the same price it's better.

I can't remember which cabins we have had on the M class ships but generally book on 9. I appreciate the overhang. Not only does it block direct sun into the cabin it offers the privacy you are seeing from above. The overhang is actually the exterior wall surrounding the pool deck (10.) Unless you are sailing through a real thunderboomer you can enjoy the balcony in the elements too.

The overhand on the deck 11 AQ cabins, port and starboard, is very narrow and does not offer protection from either sun or rain. The aft cabins on 11 have the deeper balconies and have partial covering.

If you can get one of the few aft AQ cabins on 11 I highly recommend you keep your deck 9 cabin.

It is dependent on what is more important to you. If it were my honeymoon or any other time I would not want the possibility of children next door. The overhangs are quite large on 9 (we were on the Mille for Alaska in July). It was great if rainy. It does obstruct the view upwards and will affect pictures in that way. We, however, were able to take some great pics from the balcony without the beams getting in the way. The overhang on 11 is virtually non-existent so great if you want lots of sun, no privacy (I am pretty sure people can look down on your balcony from above), no rain protection, and sun glare in your pics.

My husband and I were in 9121 on Millie just last month going through the Panama Canal. Cabin 9121 is (of course) immediately to the left of the numbered cabins in your photo and is a cabin that is deeper under the overhang then say 9125.

The deep overhang definitely will impact your photos. Here are some examples. I am tall, but even if I knelt down and took a photo between the handrail and glass, I still was not able to avoid the overhang showing in photos taken from the balcony. Photos below ere taken while I was standing.

Frankly, if taking the best photos from your balcony is super important to you, you should change cabins. Personally I took most of my photos from deck 4 or 11. Or at least switch to one of the cabins with the shorter overhang.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15140818@N07/8133618891/in/set-72157631854712727/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15140818@N07/8133644748/in/set-72157631854712727/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15140818@N07/8146687400/in/set-72157631854712727

Edited by TobyKnits
to fix photos

Yes yes yes yes take 9125! We had that cabin on the Millennium and it had a less obstructed view than my father in law had in 9105.

It doesn't really affect your view unless you are taking photos from your balcony, but for the same price it's better.

Gig... do you happen to have any pictures of the balcony on 9125?

My husband and I were in 9121 on Millie just last month going through the Panama Canal. Cabin 9121 is (of course) immediately to the left of the numbered cabins in your photo and is a cabin that is deeper under the overhang then say 9125.

The deep overhang definitely will impact your photos. Here are some examples. I am tall, but even if I knelt down and took a photo between the handrail and glass, I still was not able to avoid the overhang showing in photos taken from the balcony. Photos below ere taken while I was standing.

Frankly, if taking the best photos from your balcony is super important to you, you should change cabins. Personally I took most of my photos from deck 4 or 11. Or at least switch to one of the cabins with the shorter overhang.

Tobyknits... Thank you for the pictures! Question, did you have more than 2 people in your cabin? I'm worried about kids since there is the extra fold out couch in that suite. Although I'm not sure that there will be a ton of kids on a 2 week panama in April, although it is at Easter Time

Gig... do you happen to have any pictures of the balcony on 9125?

Tobyknits... Thank you for the pictures! Question, did you have more than 2 people in your cabin? I'm worried about kids since there is the extra fold out couch in that suite. Although I'm not sure that there will be a ton of kids on a 2 week panama in April, although it is at Easter Time

Only myself and my husband. We like the extra room, especially between the foot of the bed and the cabinetry since there is enough space that 2 people can walk past each other. 9121 and 9123 are both accessible - that lowers the likelihood that you would have kids in these rooms. Neither my husband or I had a need for this room - it was assigned to us on a suite guarantee.

On our October cruise (Oct. 7 to 22) there were less than 10 kids on board from what I saw. We would very rarely see 6 kids with the cruise staff and on two occasions I saw 2 very young children, like 1-2 years old. That was it. There may be a few more around Easter though.

Everybody has a different opinion about that overhang. Personally, I felt like I was in a cave on my balcony. It was even echo'y and the cabin was dark. Never again will I book one. I doubt there will be many children on a 15 day PC cruise. Ours had hardly any at all. Also, check what is above you. The deck above can be real noisy if you dont get exactly the right place. We were under the pool and hot tub. Again, never again!

Thank you all for your awesome responses. :) I love how super duper helpful cruise critic boards are.

We switched to 9125 this morning.

If any one has pictures of 9125 on an M-Class ship... please share!

I believe you said you were in AQ? Those rooms are double occupancy only so it is unlikely you will have kids next door.

The room on one side is an AQ, the room on the other is an accessible sky suite.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll toss in a different perspective. We've usually avoided the deck below the pool and buffet to avoid the traffic noise. Never having stayed in one, I'm not speaking from personal experience, so maybe others can comment. We've been in cabins with the overhang and loved having minimal direct sun.

j

My husband and I just sailed on Constellation and had cabin 9153 and we actually liked the larger overhang. Yes, the posts are more noticeable but were easily avoided and I took a lot of pics from the balcony. We liked the fact that we had better protection from any inclement weather plus there was no one right above us, which we also liked. Hope this helps.

• 2 years later...
My husband and I just sailed on Constellation and had cabin 9153 and we actually liked the larger overhang. Yes, the posts are more noticeable but were easily avoided and I took a lot of pics from the balcony. We liked the fact that we had better protection from any inclement weather plus there was no one right above us, which we also liked. Hope this helps.

I will be in that room in a few months. How was the noise level from above?

We are early risers, so we go to bed fairly early, just wondering if its noisy after like 9 pm?

Thanks!

We have been on deck 9 a few times on the infinity and millennium. I don't like the overhang....I kind of like the sun, but honestly, it's never really been a problem for us. We've found that 9108 and 9127 back are quiet...they are under a carpeted section of the buffet area so no noise from above. We have stayed in some cabins under the pool deck and one under the exercise area/gym (don't do it....disaster).

With Celebrity's new captain's club one level upgrade, we opt for an A1 on deck 11 at the A2 price and try to get one of the five rear facing cabins (not so easy to do). That was before they converted deck 12 to a movie under the stars area...not sure if it's still as quiet as it used to be.

On S-class ships, we just avoid being directly under the pool deck and honestly, we've been booking 1A's instead of aqua both because the price difference is ridiculous and we've found that it's much easier to get a 1A cabin with a larger balcony.

Hello, long time no post...but I intend on staying updated on these postings from here on in. Anyhow, since the topic seems to be on cabins, does anyone know about 6024? That's one of the cabins my huge, extended family will be residing in on this cruise. That'd be mine and my wife's cabin. Now, I hold my breath, await a response, and will go over some other recent posts. Can't wait, only one month (and change) to go!

Hello, long time no post...but I intend on staying updated on these postings from here on in. Anyhow, since the topic seems to be on cabins, does anyone know about 6024? That's one of the cabins my huge, extended family will be residing in on this cruise. That'd be mine and my wife's cabin. Now, I hold my breath, await a response, and will go over some other recent posts. Can't wait, only one month (and change) to go!

That is one of the 'sweet 16 ' cabins. You will love it. Much larger balcony.