A few San Diego tips needed

Marverel

My first posting on this boards, so let me start with a friendly "Hello everybody" :)

My wife and I have been on our very first cruise this year (7 Days Western Caribbean on Carnival Liberty) and we loved it. So as soon as we arrived back home we booked the next cruise - 15 Days from Miami through Panama Canal to San Diego on the Disney Wonder in May 2014.

We've never been to San Diego before and want to stay there for a few days post-cruise. Wanna do some sightseeing, visit the Zoo etc. So we have a few questions for you:

- Do we need a car to get around in San Diego? We will definitely rent one, because we want to drive to Las Vegas afterwards, but would it be best to rent it on our first or last day in San Diego?

- Are there car rental offices near the cruise port or do we have to go to the airport?

- Can you recommend any relatively inexpensive hotels (less than let's say 100 $ per night) that are convenient for a few night's stay? Depending on our rental car decision they don't have to be downtown or at the cruise port.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Martin

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

A little reading will answer many of your questions. The airport and it's rental car locations are less than two miles from the port, so most get their cars from the airport.

For the best mobility, get a car. If you really want to see San Diego, a car is required. But if you are flexible, public transit can get you to most of the sights.

Good luck on the less than $100 rooms!

I agree. Rent a car. Avis has a location within 3 blocks of the pier, but you will probably get a better deal from a less expensive company. Many have their actual rental locations between the pier and the airport (less than 3 miles) so you may even be able to walk or take a pedicab or cab to one very easily from the pier.

Don't plan to stay downtown. The hotels there are expensive, and do not have free parking. Instead, I would recommend staying in Mission Valley along "Hotel Circle". There are many inexpensive (buy still nice) motels in that area, and you will most likely have free parking too. It is also very easy to get to all the many sights to see in San Diego from that location, and there are even some decent places to eat there. Old Town may also be an option, such as the Old Town Inn which may people here recommend. http://www.oldtown-inn.com/

Zoo and Balboa Park parking is free (although a little hard to find during tourist season/summer), although there is a parking charge for the Zoo Safari Park (40 miles north). You can drive the 59 mile San Diego Scenic drive in about 1/2 day and see many popular sights, and decide if you want to explore them further on your own.

Do some reading on this forum for other things to do in San Diego, but I can recommend all of Balboa Park, the Zoo, the Safari Park, Old Town, the San Diego Mission, the Birch Aquarium, Petco Park (baseball), and of course our beautiful beaches. Let us know what other interests you have and we can make more recommendations.

Dining is best in the Gaslamp Quarter, Old Town, Hillcrest, Uptown, and North Park, as well as Coronado and La Jolla.

Check the prices of the rental cars. Sometimes doing a oneway rental is extremely expensive, depending on demand.

Sometimes it can be cheaper to rent three cars---In San Diego, the one-way to Las Vegas then a third for Las Vegas. Bit of a pain but the savings can be significant.

Edited by SadieN

We have been to San Diego several times, and have thoroughly enjoyed each visit.

In addition to the list attractions of possible interest in Splinter's post, my husband and I have visited the Midway several times. It is an aircraft carrier open for tours (the admission price includes an audio tour), and also has a very interesting collection of aircraft parked on the carrier deck. Each time we've been there we have spent the entire day. There is a cafe on board for sandwiches and drinks.

The San Diego historic ships are located about a five to seven minute walk from the Midway. The group which operates the Midway is not associated with the historic ships, so there are no combined admission fares. These ships are also very interesting.

Another option for you. There is a hotel across the street from the cruise pier which is now a Wyndham. The advance purchase rates (at least for September 2013) is $125.00. You could spend the first night there and walk the waterfront, to the Gaslamp area, Seaport Village, and Old Town. There use to be ferries that traveled between the pier and Coronado Island.

Reserve the car for the next day, parking is not free at the hotel. If you book with Enterprise, they will send a van to pick you up but check their drop off rates though.

Thank you guys for some really great advice here!

It's a little early to actually book something, ;) but we will definitely keep an eye on rental car offers and hotel deals. Old Town Inn sounds nice, but I also checked some hotel websites in thet "Hotel Circle" area and found some interesting places for around 70/80 $ per night.

Looks like San Diego offers plenty of sights to see and things to do, so I guess we will have to spend at least three days there. 59 mile drive as an introduction to the area sounds great, we will definitely put that on our list.

Already marked as "not to be missed": Balboa Park, Mission, Zoo, Gaslamp Quarter/Old Town and La Jolla Shores.

Thanks again,

Martin

Welcome to Cruise Critic.:)

About 18 months ago we stayed at the Best Western Bayside Inn on Ash Street, about 4 blocks to the cruise terminal. They have a free shuttle to and from the airport and to and from the cruise port and a free breakfast. I think that they charge about $14 p/n for parking in their attached garage. There is a good Italian restaurant across the street. I just checked their rates and they are presently at $110 but that is the rack rate and can be brought down to under $100 if you are a member of the automobile club or a senior. We were pleased with the hotel and location.

• 3 weeks later...

Its very easy to stay in downtown san diego for less than $100/night, you dont need a car immediately.

As mentioned there is the Wyndham across fro the port. Im staying next weekend for $70 a night. From there i can explore the USS midway and the maritime museum, walk to seaport village, take the RT ferry to coronado island ($8 RT), walk to Hotel del Coronado spending the day on the beach (free), spend the evening at Gaslamp district or brew hop through downtown San Diego.

Even if you stay in Old Town, its super easy to take the electric train and do the same things listed here, but if you rent a car, the parking at hotels here is free and easy to find. Parking on Coronado Island can be hard especially on weekends.

To get to zoo or seaworld, it is easier with a car, but dont rent one your first days there.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 4 months later...
My first posting on this boards, so let me start with a friendly "Hello everybody" :)

My wife and I have been on our very first cruise this year (7 Days Western Caribbean on Carnival Liberty) and we loved it. So as soon as we arrived back home we booked the next cruise - 15 Days from Miami through Panama Canal to San Diego on the Disney Wonder in May 2014.

We've never been to San Diego before and want to stay there for a few days post-cruise. Wanna do some sightseeing, visit the Zoo etc. So we have a few questions for you:

- Do we need a car to get around in San Diego? We will definitely rent one, because we want to drive to Las Vegas afterwards, but would it be best to rent it on our first or last day in San Diego?

- Are there car rental offices near the cruise port or do we have to go to the airport?

- Can you recommend any relatively inexpensive hotels (less than let's say 100 $ per night) that are convenient for a few night's stay? Depending on our rental car decision they don't have to be downtown or at the cruise port.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Martin

We are also doing the same Panama Canal cruise on DCL. I can't wait! 6 more months!

We are up in the air about what to do when we arrive in San Diego. But this has been a most helpful thread.

We are also doing the same Panama Canal cruise on DCL. I can't wait! 6 more months!

We are up in the air about what to do when we arrive in San Diego. But this has been a most helpful thread.

I missed this for the OP -- but maybe I could help you since your cruise is still in the future.

I absolutely love San Diego -- what a great place to walk around and take public transportation -- very easy. If you look around, you may be able to find a good price for a downtown hotel, and since you aren't too picky about the precise area, maybe get one from hotwire or priceline. I have always found plenty to do within walking distance in downtown San Diego -- namely the Midway aircraft carrier -- which is right next to the cruiseship pier. There is a tourist info location right across the street where they have discount tickets for many attractions, including the Midway. You are also within walking distance to the train station, SeaPort Village (kind of a tourist trap but very well laid out), the boardwalk at the water's edge, the ferry that takes you over to Catalina Island (don't miss the Coronado Hotel if you go over there), the Gaslamp district, the bus station -- to get to the outer edges of the city limits, etc.

The San Diego Zoo is world famous as is the Wild Animal Park -- both of which you cannot walk to -- they are actually both quite a distance from downtown San Diego -- but they might have ideas on how to get there if you choose not to get a car at the information center I mentioned earlier. Old Town San Diego is one of my favorite places to go and as I recall, we were able to get there using public transportation. Blacks Beach is pretty well known but the beach at Coronado is equally as beautiful. La Jolla is an area (I think just north) of San Diego and it is absolutely gorgeous -- kind of ritzy.

The hotels outside of downtown are going to be much cheaper but I just love the downtown area so much, I am willing to pay a bit more -- equals out when not having to rent a car.

The airport, as someone else mentioned, is so extremely close to the pier -- I think a cab is less than $10. It is actually walkable but only if you don't have luggage.

Thank you for all of the great information, it is most helpful. We'll be meeting a friend from a LA so we will all be looking for something to do in the area.

I'll be back once things get more settled. Oh, you're not too late for the OP, they are on the May 2014, same as us.

Thanks again.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to insert a couple of corrections for future readers.

...the ferry that takes you over to Catalina Island (don't miss the Coronado Hotel if you go over there)...

You mean Coronado, not Catalina. Catalina is one of the Channel Islands, and it's about 26 miles across the sea (as the song says) from L.A. Coronado is a town on the peninsula that forms San Diego Bay. It's not actually an island.

The San Diego Zoo is world famous as is the Wild Animal Park -- both of which you cannot walk to -- they are actually both quite a distance from downtown San Diego

The Safari Park (formerly known as the Wild Animal Park) is way out of town near Escondido; but the Zoo is in Balboa Park, less than 3 miles from the cruise ship pier. You could walk if you really wanted to, but it's a very cheap cab ride, or you could take the bus. The #7 goes there. It picks up on Broadway, on the right side of the street as you're walking away from the Bay.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to insert a couple of corrections for future readers.

You mean Coronado, not Catalina. Catalina is one of the Channel Islands, and it's about 26 miles across the sea (as the song says) from L.A. Coronado is a town on the peninsula that forms San Diego Bay. It's not actually an island.

The Safari Park (formerly known as the Wild Animal Park) is way out of town near Escondido; but the Zoo is in Balboa Park, less than 3 miles from the cruise ship pier. You could walk if you really wanted to, but it's a very cheap cab ride, or you could take the bus. The #7 goes there. It picks up on Broadway, on the right side of the street as you're walking away from the Bay.

yes, I meant Coronado...silly me! Plus, didn't even know it wasn't an island -- only because I took the ferry over, I guess.

And....the Wild Animal Park is no longer called that? Boy, I am have been stuck up north for too long! :eek:

yes, I meant Coronado...silly me! Plus, didn't even know it wasn't an island -- only because I took the ferry over, I guess.

And....the Wild Animal Park is no longer called that? Boy, I am have been stuck up north for too long! :eek:

S'okay it IS called Coronado Island as it once was an island, but now is a peninsula.

For the OP who hasn't gone on the cruise yet, I'd look at La Pensione in Little Italy, very near the cruise port, for a great budget place to stay.

And yes, I'd rent a car the whole time, it makes life so much easier getting anyplace. There are car rental places near the cruise port, but since the airport is very close (about 2 miles) you might find more selection there. Off hand I think there is an Avis in Little Italy and an Enterprise near, maybe in the Wyndham Hotel.

S'okay it IS called Coronado Island as it once was an island, but now is a peninsula.

For the OP who hasn't gone on the cruise yet, I'd look at La Pensione in Little Italy, very near the cruise port, for a great budget place to stay.

And yes, I'd rent a car the whole time, it makes life so much easier getting anyplace. There are car rental places near the cruise port, but since the airport is very close (about 2 miles) you might find more selection there. Off hand I think there is an Avis in Little Italy and an Enterprise near, maybe in the Wyndham Hotel.

I checked out the hotel, it looks wonderful. I can't book it now (it won't let me) but we will when we can. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

If you make full use of the trolley and set aside a full day it's an OK deal. You will see a lot of the city and can preselect a few spots that you want to briefly see. But things like the Zoo require a full day so I wouldn't use the hoho trolley for that. If you have less than a full day it probably isn't a good value either.

If you make full use of the trolley and set aside a full day it's an OK deal. You will see a lot of the city and can preselect a few spots that you want to briefly see. But things like the Zoo require a full day so I wouldn't use the hoho trolley for that. If you have less than a full day it probably isn't a good value either.

Thanks Kenish. We have one and a half days and plan to use the trolley for the full day exactly as you have suggested and explore on foot for the half day. The zoo is not on our to-do list for this visit. I feel better about our decision. Thanks. :)

• 3 months later...

Has anyone recently used a hotel near the San Diego cruise terminal that allows or charges a reasonable rate for parking? We'll be on a 31 day cruise in November and would prefer leaving the car at a hotel rather than a long term parking lot.

Has anyone recently used a hotel near the San Diego cruise terminal that allows or charges a reasonable rate for parking? We'll be on a 31 day cruise in November and would prefer leaving the car at a hotel rather than a long term parking lot.

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn express in downtown San Diego.

They provide a one night stay, free breakfast, shuttle to the pier and back and 7 nights free parking with $5.00 for each additional night. I haven't done this in 3 years so the price could have gone up some.

You might want to check out some of the hotels in old town. They have snooze and cruise packages that provide shuttles to the pier.

The recent parking rate per day at the Best Western Plus Bayside Inn was $14 per day. There is a new parking garage being built near the Wyndham Hotel which is right across the street from the pier, but I couldn't guess at its completion date. There is a street level lot in use right now. Maybe the Wyndham can help answer your questions.