Drink Prices and Cheers Break Even?

mamiamjo

I haven't been able to find drink prices online, so I thought I'd ask...

Has anyone done a recent evaluation of how many alcoholic drinks you'd have to buy (mixed drinks, frozen drinks, & wine, no beer) in order to break even on the Cheers plan?

Thanks!

Cheers is 49.95 a day, so

Mixed cocktails like Cosmos or Appletinis run $8.95, so the break even there is Your 6th drink of the day.

Beer is $4.95 to $6.50, so your break even on beer is about your 10th beer.

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/Carnival-Bar-Menu/CarnivalCruiseBarMenu.htm

Thanks for your help along with the link :)

Thanks for your help along with the link :)

Long Island, Margaritas, some other good drinks...also at the 8.95 price point. Most frozens are a little less, I believe. Thinking around 8.25?

If you're the type who like rum/coke, gin/tonic, vodka/mixer, then if you get cheers, you can order the top shelf with your drink.

So if you think you will drink 6-7 a day without problem, I'd go for it. Also, cheers includes coffees, milkshakes, teas from coffee bar, water and sodas, etc. Unlimited on those.

This is a good thread to read on this topic. The OP included a spreadsheet breakdown to show what I think you're looking for and another poster included images of the relatively current drink prices.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2445431

Edit: just saw soccersharon's post above with the spreadsheet I mentioned. The only thing I would add is that the price quoted for Cheers is the advance purchase price (including gratuity). It's $5/day (plus gratuity) more if you purchase on-board. But do browse the thread I mention as well.

This is my first time cruising onboard the Carnival cruise line. I plan to buy the cheers drink package, does both adults in the room require to purchase the package? The reason I'm asking is my wife does not drink. Other cruise lines do not require both in the room to buy it but heard Carnival is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is my first time cruising onboard the Carnival cruise line. I plan to buy the cheers drink package, does both adults in the room require to purchase the package? The reason I'm asking is my wife does not drink. Other cruise lines do not require both in the room to buy it but heard Carnival is different.

Each adult assigned to the same cabin must purchase the package.

When I went to buy the cheers pack for my 1st cruise it made me also buy it for my wife. I have read every adult 21 or older has to buy it if one person in the room has it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

We sail Celebrity all the time and we always chose drinks package as perk. When you take into consideration water, juice, 1-2 drinks at sail away, 1-2 wine at dinner, cocktail during show, nightcap on veranda, we have surpassed the cost. It is nice to grab a bottle water on way off ship on island. Not to mention your individual drink coast, you need to add taxes and grats. Also you don't have to sign or keep track of what you bought. Believe me even with drink package they try to charge you. And if you don't catch before you leave, you are SOL

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Drink prices on on our passed cruise in Decembe 2016

Included 15% Gratuities

Bud Light 16oz Bottle......$6.61

Bud Light Draft.....$5.46

Red Frog Draft....$7.13

Jameson & Ginger....$8.99

Bloodly Mary...$10.87

The new gratuity as of January 1st. (Is now 18% per drink)

The Bud Light will now cost you $7.39

Drink prices on on our passed cruise in Decembe 2016

Included 15% Gratuities

Bud Light 16oz Bottle......$6.61

Bud Light Draft.....$5.46

Red Frog Draft....$7.13

Jameson & Ginger....$8.99

Bloodly Mary...$10.87

The new gratuity as of January 1st. (Is now 18% per drink)

The Bud Light will now cost you $7.39

Are you sure the gratuities on drinks went up to 18% on Carnival? If that was the case, then wouldn't they have raised them on Cheers too? This is the first I've heard of this. It still says 15% on the website. I remember seeing somewhere that another cruise line's bar gratuity was 18% but I haven't seen Carnival mentioned until now.

Each adult assigned to the same cabin must purchase the package.

This is the one rule I never understood. I get they don't want one person sharing but there's many folks in the same boat (no pun intended [emoji23]). my hubs does not drink either. I'm trying to convince him to take his first cruise next January (I usually cruise with other family) and if we do, Carnival won't be getting my guaranteed up front payment since I won't pay for him to have it too.

We pre paid our gratuities back in December, for our 2/26 sailing on the Pride.

When we were on the Pride for Christmas, one of the guest services people told Paul about the increase to 18%

The 18% covers all of the waiters, dining room & of course your room steward

And 18% for every drink you purchase

We pre paid our gratuities back in December, for our 2/26 sailing on the Pride.

When we were on the Pride for Christmas, one of the guest services people told Paul about the increase to 18%

The 18% covers all of the waiters, dining room & of course your room steward

And 18% for every drink you purchase

I think you either misunderstood or got some bum info. Gratuities for the room steward, waiters, etc are NOT a percentage of your cruise. They are a flat fee. I have yet to see a bar receipt with an 18% gratuity. Anyone that has recently cruised have one they can post?

It's actually $57.50/day because they add a 15% gratuity at the time of payment. Also that price is only if you purchase before you get on the ship. It goes up when purchased on board.

At $9/cocktail, I consider it worth it if I have more than 6 long islands/margaritas in a day.

It's also nice that it includes wines normally priced up to $50 (was $10 in the past); and it includes rockstar energy drinks, premium coffee like frappes, juice, soda, bottled water; etc. All of which normally cost extra.

Question: if you consider the average cruise has 3-4 ports of call, can you still drink the break even number of drinks a day considering that on a port of call, you are on the ship a lot less time for each day to be able to drink?

Question: if you consider the average cruise has 3-4 ports of call, can you still drink the break even number of drinks a day considering that on a port of call, you are on the ship a lot less time for each day to be able to drink?
If you're back on board by 500 and you stay up till 1200, that gives you 7 hours to drink your 6 drinks to be ahead. 2 before dinner, 2 with dinner, 2 after dinner. As they say, easy peasy. Also remember to have an espresso or cappuccino with breakfast and take a large bottle of water when you go on your port tour. Also remember that the adult milkshakes are included as well if you're on the Sunshine or Vista. https://www.carnival.com/onboard/cruise-food/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/ShakeSpotMenupdf.ashx

Cheers is 49.95 a day, so

Mixed cocktails like Cosmos or Appletinis run $8.95, so the break even there is Your 6th drink of the day.

Beer is $4.95 to $6.50, so your break even on beer is about your 10th beer.

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/Carnival-Bar-Menu/CarnivalCruiseBarMenu.htm

If you always order premium liquor (which you can do with the enhanced cheers program) you will break even with 5 drinks a day.

We sail Celebrity all the time and we always chose drinks package as perk. When you take into consideration water, juice, 1-2 drinks at sail away, 1-2 wine at dinner, cocktail during show, nightcap on veranda, we have surpassed the cost. It is nice to grab a bottle water on way off ship on island. Not to mention your individual drink coast, you need to add taxes and grats. Also you don't have to sign or keep track of what you bought. Believe me even with drink package they try to charge you. And if you don't catch before you leave, you are SOL

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our upcoming Celebrity Cruise was $799 for 7 day Southern Caribbean balcony with Drink package and $300/cabin obc...I don't drink but considering the value it's worth checking out Celebrity when they have sales also that make the cruise overall a better value than Carnival. Maybe a slightly different experience but most cruises are great regardless of operator. Just sharing for those that are shopping around for a more inclusive experience. Have an awesome day!

We had Cheers on an 8 day with 4 ports. We are not big drinkers outside of a cruise (maybe drink once a month) but we broke even and will buy Cheers again on our 8 day coming up (only 3 ports...yay for sea days!)

We are people that usually go out early on a Port and are back on the boat for a late lunch and then lay out the rest of the afternoon. You can definitely drink more drinks laying out in the hot sun than normal. Then you have a couple drinks at dinner and then after dinner you have some. I drink frozen drinks only, so I just need to drink about 6 a day to break even. Worth it to me, since I also used it for bottle water and frozen coffee drinks. My husband used his for Soda as well.