Police officers save Jet Skiers from being ran over by a cruise ship

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:58 PM.
S.Florida
4,637 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
A Brevard County Marine Sheriff's Unit at the risk of their own lives , saved 2 Jet Skiers from a near tragedy Saturday . The ski had flipped and they were in the path of the departing Carnival Cruise ship Magic when the heroes took action . Well done , you deserve national headlines and our debt of gratitude !!!

Video here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdxZ_eZCALI
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCCL Rhapsody-Hawaiian Islands
MSC Melody - Southern Caribbean
NCL - Baltic, S. America, Caribbean 3 times
Celebrity Constellation - Transatlantic and Europe
Celebrity Eclipse Transatlantic , Baltic and Southern Caribbean
Carnival - Western Caribbean 12 times, Norway/Europe
HAL- Eastern Caribbean, S. America and Alaska
Caribbean Princess - Western Caribbean 5 times
Regal Princess - Western Caribbean x 2

Photographic reviews
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2372103 Eclipsing Northern Europe by cruise : Basic black , and Baltic blues
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094420 Cruising the Caribbean on the Caribbean Princess
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1923693 Norway and Northern Europe
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1927687 Moscow
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1775172 St. Petersburg
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1958814 South America
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2213388 Total Eclipse: East bound Transatlantic and a visit to Russia
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2320153Cruising the Caribbean on the Re al Princess : A pictorial review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2422532 Staying and playing in Cozumel
South Carolina, U.S.
4,215 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Kewl vid. Thankx for posting link.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Who Moved My Cheese???? (obscure book reference)
Don't Panic! Change your Paradigm and search for it.

Oceania Marina April 5, 2019 Atlantic Encounters NY-London (booked) ...Oceania Regatta October 26, 2018 Cuba/Panama Canal (booked) ...Oceania Regatta June 19, 2018 Alaska (booked) ...Holland America Zuiderdam February 18, 2018 Caribbean /Panama Canal (booked) ...Azamara Journey August 2017 …Celebrity Eclipse January 2017 ...Celebrity Equinox December 2016 ...Celebrity Summit August 2016 ...Celebrity Constellation February 2016 ...Celebrity Summit September 2015 ...Oceania Marina October 2014 ...Carnival Fantasy February 2013...Celebrity Mercury Final Cruise February 14, 2011...Celebrity Mercury April 2010...NCL Seaward December 1993...Admiral Azure Seas June 1991...NCL Skyward January 1989...Carnival Carnivale July 1984.
maryland
79 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
That was a scary situation. I bet they will never try to drive in front of a cruise ship ever again! I,ve been on cruise ships going out of the port and people on their boats,jetskis driving in front of the cruise ship .I,ve always said there,s something wrong with those people ,risking their lives doing that crap!!! SMH
Long Island, New York
920 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by Harrylinden
That was a scary situation. I bet they will never try to drive in front of a cruise ship ever again! I,ve been on cruise ships going out of the port and people on their boats,jetskis driving in front of the cruise ship .I,ve always said there,s something wrong with those people ,risking their lives doing that crap!!! SMH
I thought the harbor patrol not only guides the ship out of the port but, also ensure that other boats, jet skis, are kept their distance from the cruise ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
April - 2003 Sky to Caribbean
March - 2004 Sky to Caribbean
March - 2005 Sun to Caribbean
April - 2006 Jewel to Southern Caribbean
March - 2007 Pearl to Caribbean
April - 2008 Brilliance to Caribbean & Panama Canal
March - 2009 Star to Mexican Riviera
March - 2010 Pearl to Caribbean
March - 2011 Adventure of the Seas to Caribbean
March - 2012 Serenade of the Seas to Puerto Rico & Caribbean
July - 2012 Norwegian Star to Bermuda
March - 2014 Adventure of the Seas to Caribbean
March - 2015 Celebrity Equinox to Caribbean
March - 2016 Celebrity Silhouette to Caribbean

March - 2017 Celebrity Silhouette to Caribbean

CANADA
1,355 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Crazy !
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruised
NCL Hawaii 2005
Carnival Western Caribean 2006
Disney Bahamas 2008
Princess L.A. to Van. 2008
Celebrity Panama Canal 2009
Princess Van to Ketchekan 2009
RCL Mexican Riviera 2010!
Carnival Spirit Mexican Riviera 2011
Celebrity Equinox Eastern/Southern Caribean 2012!
Emerald Princess Eastern Caribean 2012/13
Golden Princess 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Equinox 2014
Celebrity Solstice 2017 Hawaii

Sumter, SC
4,039 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
I believe there was only ONE officer (LEO) in that boat. The ship's pilot was also credited in news reports with slightly altering course - which gave the LEO a few extra seconds. But that LEO, without a doubt saved those women's lives.

News account here:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...312-story.html
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John B.

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to, and including my life. That is honor and courage."

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, BUT rather to SKID In BROADSIDE, completely used up, totally worn out, and SCREAMING "WOW---WHAT A RIDE!!"

"I've seen better days, but I've seen worse. I don't have everything I want, but I do have all I need. I woke up with some aches and pains, but I woke up. My life may not be perfect, but I am blessed".

Rockledge, FL
1,184 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
We recently got back from a Norwegian Epic cruise out of Port Canaveral. The sheriff's boat had to race forward to make a guy in a fishing kayak get out of the way of the Epic. People have no clue. No one should be jet skiing or kayaking on the Port Canaveral inlet period. In addition to cruise ships, other large boats come and go all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous Cruises:
8/87 -NCL Seaward - Western Caribbean
8/06 -RCCL Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas
12/06 -Sun Princess - Eastern Caribbean
8/07 -Carnival Inspiration - Western Caribbean
8/11 - RCCL Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean
8/13 - Sapphire Princess - Alaska
1/14 - RCCL Independence of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
4/14 - Celebrity Constellation - Key West/Cozumel
8/14 - Caribbean Princess - Western/Eastern Caribbean (2)
10/14 - RCCL Enchantment of the Seas - Bahamas
11/14 - Celebrity Constellation - Transatlantic
12/14 - Caribbean Princess - Western/Eastern Caribbean (2)
4/15 - RCCL Allure of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
4/15 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean
9/15 - Celebrity Infinity - Panama Canal
12/15 - Celebrity Constellation - Key West/Bahamas
1/16 - RCCL Enchantment of the Seas - Bahamas
2/16 - RCCL Enchantment of the Seas - Bahamas
3/16 - Celebrity Equinox - Southern Caribbean
10/16 - Celebrity Summit - Canada/New England
3/17 - Norwegian Epic - Bahamas

152 cruise days completed. 20 cruise days booked.
Turlock, CA
1,120 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
I am a retired firefighter (35 years) - some people are just idiots - the operator of that jet ski should be fined or jailed for putting the lives of the rescue/Leo boat in danger - this was NOT an accident - that operator 'choose' to ride in front of that ship.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
__________________________________________________ ____________

[email protected]

(Michael) 68/72 USS Oriskany - Vietnam {Inside cabin and No room service}

Royal Caribbean - Mexico 1992 & 1994
Royal Caribbean - Caribbean 2016

Celebrity Bermuda 1997

Uniworld River Cruises
14 days Vienna to Amsterdam - 2002
10 days Northern France, Normandy - 2013

Viking River Cruise
European Sojourn - Bucharest - Amsterdam July 5, 2017

Princess Alaska – July, 1997
Princess Caribbean – Millennium New years eve
Princess Hawaii - March - 2012
Princess Greek Islands - May, 2013

Princess Mexico - Nov - 2013
Princess Panama - Jan - 2014
Princess Hawaii - April - 2014
Princess British Isles - Aug - 2014
Princess Mexico (Get Away) B2B's - Nov 2014
Princess Australia / New Zealand - Feb - 2015
Princess Norway "Land of the Midnight Sun" - June 2015

Princess Caribbean Jan 2016
Princess California Coastal March 2016
Princess Baltic Heritage- July 2016 - Cabin C626
Princess Mexico December 2016 cabin C618
Princess Alaska Sept 2017
Princess Hawaii Dec 2017

Michael- Retired Firefighter = 35 years
Arlene - Retired School Secretary = 25 years
[email protected]
Turlock, CA
Point Richmond CA
4,672 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Pickels
I thought the harbor patrol not only guides the ship out of the port but, also ensure that other boats, jet skis, are kept their distance from the cruise ship.

In general, boaters (like drivers) are expected to follow the nautical rules of the road (or, in this case, shipping lane) with or without any "police authority" patrolling that byway. That said, there's always idiots to contend with.
With now heightened security, and depending on the port in question, you are correct that a cruise ship may be accompanied by the USCG (or equivalent abroad). But, the USCG or local harbor "patrol" are not who "guides" a ship from port to the open sea (and vice versa). That is the harbor pilot who is abroad briefly to complete that sole function.
That said, it was fortuitous for those jet skiers that the harbor police were close at hand and quick acting. Even if it was possible for the bridge crew to see directly below and in front of the bow, stopping a ship is a "distance eating" maneuver (remember the Exxon Valdez?).
If you live anywhere near one of the US' state maritime academies (particularly if you are a recreational boater/sailor) and you want a real "eye opener," check out the possibility of visiting one of their bridge simulators where you will quickly learn how very dangerous it is to be anywhere near a large ship underway. BTW, the most realistic and comprehensive of these simulators is the multi-story 360 degree simulator at the California Maritime Academy in Vallejo CA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Pa, NJ
18,222 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by Harley0711
I am a retired firefighter (35 years) - some people are just idiots - the operator of that jet ski should be fined or jailed for putting the lives of the rescue/Leo boat in danger - this was NOT an accident - that operator 'choose' to ride in front of that ship.

Agree, as a retired Police Officer you are absolutely correct, these people should be charged with being "stupid in public."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Don
Cape Coral, FL
11,049 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by dkjretired
Agree, as a retired Police Officer you are absolutely correct, these people should be charged with being "stupid in public."
At the very least, they should be charged for the cost of the rescue. What is more troubling is that they put the rescuers lives in danger by their stupidity. You can't fix stupid.

Some Minnesotans used to believe they had a God-given right to drive on the lakes in the winter, whether or not they were frozen. Police departments were expending considerable resources rescuing these fools. They now get charged for the cost of the rescue.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda

Celebrity Summit Bermuda & Caribbean April 2017

Celebrity Infinity Dutch Antilles Oct-Nov 2016 (Woo Hoo)
Celebrity Equinox TA Oct-Nov 2015
Celebrity Equinox Italy and Greek Isles October 2015
Celebrity Infinity Golden Gate to Alaska May 2015
Celebrity Constellation Eastern Caribbean Nov-Dec 2014
Celebrity Constellation Western Caribbean November 2014
Celebrity Century Eastern Caribbean February 2014
Celebrity Century Bahamas February 2014
Celebrity Reflection Eastern Caribbean January 2014
Celebrity Infinity Norway Fjords May-June 2013
Celebrity Infinity British Isles May 2013
Celebrity Infinity Trans-Atlantic May 2013
Celebrity Eclipse Exotic Southern Caribbean Nov/Dec 2012 (Woo Hoo III)
Celebrity Constellation Exotic Southern Caribbean Dec 2011 (Woo Hoo II)
Celebrity Eclipse Baltic May/June 2011
Celebrity Constellation Exotic Southern Caribbean Nov/Dec 2010 (Connie Sparklers, Woo Hoo I)
HAL Rotterdam West Coast Repo May 2010
Celebrity Millennium Ultimate Alaska April/May 2010 (MillieMeeters)
Celebrity Constellation Panama Canal January 2010
Celebrity Millennium Eastern Caribbean February 2008
Celebrity Mercury Alaska September 2006
Long Island, New York
4,631 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by Pickels
That's been my experience too Pickels....on all our cruises there's been either harbor patrol or police boat cruising along the ship to keep other boats out of the way. Wonder why there wasn't this time..

Linda: We live on Great South Bay, which occasionally freezes over all the way to Fire Island. Many years ago some local high school boys thought it would be fun to drive their dad's new VW Beetle across the Bay....they didn't get far. Both boys survived the near sinking although I'm not sure about what happened to them after being brought home by the SCPD and left to explain where Dad's new car was.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
Greek Islands and Turkey, Louis Perla, October, 2006
Castles on Rhine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2008
Egypt and Jordan, Vantage, Jan/Feb. 2009
Holland and Belgium, Vantage, April/May 2010
Alaska, HAL Statendam, June, 2011
Costa Rica, Star Flyer,Vantage, Feb. 2011
Russia and Ukraine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2012
Panama Canal, Celebrity Infinity, April/May 2013
Columbia & Snake Rivers, ACL , June, 2013
Gateway to the Black Sea, Vantage, June/July 2014
Trans Canada Rail Odyssey ,Vantage, June 2015
Switzerland Rhine & Mozelle, Vantage, August 2015
Southern Caribbean, Celebrity Eclipse, March 2016
Canada-New England, Celebrity Summit, Oct 2016
Caribbean, RCI Grandeur of the Seas, Jan, 2017
Scandinavia-Russia, Celebrity Eclipse, Aug, 2017
Norway Fjords, Celebrity Eclipse, Aug, 2017

Other:
England
Bermuda
Italy
France
Monaco
Greece
Turkey
Iceland

Not yet Sailed:
Southern Caribbean, March, 2018, Celebrity Eclipse
British Isles, August, 2018, Celebrity Eclipse
Pa, NJ
18,222 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by Hydrokitty
That's been my experience too Pickels....on all our cruises there's been either harbor patrol or police boat cruising along the ship to keep other boats out of the way. Wonder why there wasn't this time..

Linda: We live on Great South Bay, which occasionally freezes over all the way to Fire Island. Many years ago some local high school boys thought it would be fun to drive their dad's new VW Beetle across the Bay....they didn't get far. Both boys survived the near sinking although I'm not sure about what happened to them after being brought home by the SCPD and left to explain where Dad's new car was.
I suspect that the boat that rescued them was the boat taking the ship out of the harbor and then these jet skiers appeared.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Don
DALLAS TX 'BURB
1,273 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
I've seen this several times leaving out of FLL. People are just too stupid for their own good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11-29-2008 Carnival Ecstasy
01-04-2009 Voyager of the Seas
10-10-2009 Jewel of the Seas
01-04-2014 Caribbean Princess
02-22-2015 Emerald Princess