No more tablecloths in the MDR??

gardn198

I was reading a review for the Carnival Fascination cruise I'm taking next Feb and the poster mentioned that there were no tablecloths in the MDR anymore for the "American Table" new menu or something. Umm what?! Is this true? If so that's very disappointing...

I think it is sad. This has always been a way for us to enjoy a bit of elegance over the years. What was not to enjoy? A table by a window, watching the ocean, as we dined with new made friends. Now, in a ruse to call it American Table they are making elegant one more step toward cheap. I am not one of the starched shirt types that demand fancy overdressed dining as on Cunard but a table cloth...come on!!!! what is next? Will the napkins be replaced by a silver colored box with paper napkins on the tables?

I think it is sad. This has always been a way for us to enjoy a bit of elegance over the years. What was not to enjoy? A table by a window, watching the ocean, as we dined with new made friends. Now, in a ruse to call it American Table they are making elegant one more step toward cheap. I am not one of the starched shirt types that demand fancy overdressed dining as on Cunard but a table cloth...come on!!!! what is next? Will the napkins be replaced by a silver colored box with paper napkins on the tables?

It really isn't that bad. I can't even remember the last time there were table cloths on the table when we went to a restaurant. (And as I said, they are on the tables on elegant night which makes those nights stand out a bit more.)

Wow, I have to say - I am extremely disappointed. Is this a permanent change? Can we complain to Carnival? I want to dress up each night and enjoy my dining experience - if you want simple and easy go to the lido deck. Very, very disappointed.

I don't like eating on a "bare" table at ANY sort of restaurant....even a placemat helps. It's just more "couth".

I never eat on a bare table- I use a plate;). (But I suppose you could ask the wait staff for an extra napkin to put under your plate.)

• Haha 1

Wow, I have to say - I am extremely disappointed. Is this a permanent change? Can we complain to Carnival? I want to dress up each night and enjoy my dining experience - if you want simple and easy go to the lido deck. Very, very disappointed.

You can complain of course but it seems this is permanent. They rolled AT out to Fascination for the first time on our cruise.

It never really bothered me at first, until my wife pointed out that they use a damp rag to clean off the table after the people before you, which is not really sanitary. plus, there is nowhere to place your fork, etc. except on the table that ( if you are ATD) has been used by a number of people that evening.

I do like the fact that they leave a basket of rolls on the table, and also leave a water jug. I now equate it to eating at Dennys or a family restaurant. Not special at all, but at least I do not have to make it.

We were eating dinner on the Breeze a couple weeks ago as the ship was leaving Cozumel, the tables were vibrating a little and then the sound of breaking glass as a wine bottle slid off a nearby empty table. A tablecloth would have kept it in place.

Hello,

I am contacting corporate through facebook. Eating on a bare table is not our families custom. In 1990 when I went on the fantasy they used table linens. I just recently booked for next year and I want to take mom on this cruise, but with the American table idea, I know she would be very upset doing this. I figure if enough complain maybe they will offer some sort of place mat or go back to linens. This year we are going on the Emerald Princess to Alaska. I am not trying to compare but, I want my mom to have a nice vacation. Please consider contacting Carnival and complaining.

Cruisenurse1

Yeah because nothing says "elegance" like waiters dancing on top of tables doing their stripper type dance moves while you are trying to eat lol. :cool:;p\

All of this fuss over tablecloths, WHY are people not fussing over this hideous act?

It never really bothered me at first, until my wife pointed out that they use a damp rag to clean off the table after the people before you, which is not really sanitary.

How are you thinking they wipe the tables at land based restaurants of which MANY do not have tablecloths any differently?

• Thanks 1

Hello,

I am contacting corporate through facebook. Eating on a bare table is not our families custom. In 1990 when I went on the fantasy they used table linens. I just recently booked for next year and I want to take mom on this cruise, but with the American table idea, I know she would be very upset doing this. I figure if enough complain maybe they will offer some sort of place mat or go back to linens. This year we are going on the Emerald Princess to Alaska. I am not trying to compare but, I want my mom to have a nice vacation. Please consider contacting Carnival and complaining.

Cruisenurse1

You may of course voice your displeasure but I suspect it's here to stay until they figure out that the cost of maintaining the tables in acceptable condition is greater than the savings achieved by not having table cloths.

The condensation from the water glasses is a mess on the table and they don't use the paper coasters our local family style restaurants use. I agree with HectorAchilleus about the silverware on the table. It is just messy. Certainly not conducive to the purchase of a wine package for those of us who enjoyed that option in the past. When traveling as a couple, we are learning to skip the MDR most nights in favor of the steakhouse or other dining options. We may go to the MDR for the elegant evenings. We like Carnival and won't leave over the tablecloth, but we are also moving on to other cruise lines that offer a bit more class with more dining options, with and without tablecloths.

It never really bothered me at first, until my wife pointed out that they use a damp rag to clean off the table after the people before you, which is not really sanitary. plus, there is nowhere to place your fork, etc. except on the table that ( if you are ATD) has been used by a number of people that evening.

I do like the fact that they leave a basket of rolls on the table, and also leave a water jug. I now equate it to eating at Dennys or a family restaurant. Not special at all, but at least I do not have to make it.

A damp rag that has been sitting in a bucket of sanitizer I'm sure. Having worked in food service that is common practice and is approved by the health department. To me it is more sanitary than having a table cloth that has been handled by who knows how many people before it makes it to the table.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You may of course voice your displeasure but I suspect it's here to stay until they figure out that the cost of maintaining the tables in acceptable condition is greater than the savings achieved by not having table cloths.

You suspect right. Voicing displeasure over this is nothing but wasting time IMO. They have already heard it all and John Heald said "the beards" are saying absolutely no tablecloths except on elegant nights.

This such a bizarre complaint anyway. This isnt some 5 star restaurant with Michelin Star chefs we are talking about. Nowhere I go on land has tablecloths. Not even some of the higher end places I have frequented. Im not sure why people think a mass market cruise line serving banquet type mass prepared food should be any different.

Where do people put their fork at a Longhorn or insert any other chain restaurant that doesnt have tablecloths name?

Edited by ryano

Because it's a luxury we've paid for in the past, they took it away - and our costs have not changed.

You suspect right. Voicing displeasure over this is nothing but wasting time IMO. They have already heard it all and John Heald said "the beards" are saying absolutely no tablecloths except on elegant nights.

This such a bizarre complaint anyway. This isnt some 5 star restaurant with Michelin Star chefs we are talking about. Nowhere I go on land has tablecloths. Not even some of the higher end places I have frequented. Im not sure why people think a mass market cruise line serving banquet type mass prepared food should be any different.

I think it is carnivals way of slowly going away with the MDR. So you have a food court atmosphere instead, like in your town's mall or self scan check out in the market. To me they will be cutting back on the dinning room staff in time and eliminating it all together. I just emailed Carnival and they told me to call them and the response I got was to tell the maitra dee and they will put in a ticket. Again, this is telling me that they really do not care what I think. So, Im thinking of taking my dollar vote elsewhere.

Cruisenurse 1

No tablecloths on Lido and people aren't dropping like flies. Much ado about nothing.

Are you sure? I haven't seen any complaints about lack of lido deck table cloths. Maybe they have all died from the table cooties.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• Haha 1

Ok, anyone else find it weird to be talking table cloths? Haven't been on Carnival in years, will be in December and certainly don't expect anything near "fine dining" on the ship. Personally, prefer a better set up in MDR but not surprised of this change.

• Like 1