military discount on NCL?

titansluvr

As you can see from this thread there are marketing gimmicks that claim they are offering military discounts vs authentic military discounts. The last time I asked an actual NCL PCC the answer was no. I believe NCL offers discounts for seniors and union workers. However, clever marketing makes people think they are getting a specific discount that pretty much everyone else qualifies for. I get emails and offers for lower car insurance because of my status and when I call them out, I already have the discount from another way. Its a clever marketing tool. This has been blogged about before here. The other cruise lines do offer authentic veteran discounts but to my knowledge, NCL does not.

Discount being defined as a rate of cruise fare lower booking directly with NCL. Travel agents or other vacation companies can find ways to discount a cruise fare and call it whatever they want. I don't call that a veteran discount because there are probably 10 different ways to qualify for that discount.

The only true Military Benefit (OBC) on every sailing if offered by Princess and Cunard . These are also stackable with all other OBC that you qualify for .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sad, but it seems to be true.

David, you are right about clever marketing ploys.

We use a bank/insurance company that is for military members and their families. Since we cannot name names I am sure you can find it on your own. ;)

The only true Military Benefit (OBC) on every sailing if offered by Princess and Cunard . These are also stackable with all other OBC that you qualify for .

Doesn't Carnival also offer the same benefit? They certainly do honor veterans's aboard, more than any other cruise line I have sailed on.

Doesn't Carnival also offer the same benefit? They certainly do honor veterans's aboard, more than any other cruise line I have sailed on.

No OBC, but do occasionally have a Military Rate on Select Sailings . It may or may not be your best deal depending on current Promo.

We use a bank/insurance company that is for military members and their families. Since we cannot name names I am sure you can find it on your own. ;)

Linda --

Does this bank/insurance company offer travel planning? I don't believe we knew that...

MSC also has a military discount. I have gotten 10% every MSC cruise I have done.

Linda --

Does this bank/insurance company offer travel planning? I don't believe we knew that...

When logged into your account, look for PRODUCTS (midway across top), then scroll down to SHOPPING and DISCOUNTS... look for TRAVEL DEALS.

Linda --

Yes, they do when you are on their site select Products at top of the page and see the drop-down selection.

Thanks, GGTexas Gal for providing the answer - I just saw your post.

When logged into your account, look for PRODUCTS (midway across top), then scroll down to SHOPPING and DISCOUNTS... look for TRAVEL DEALS.

Yes, they do when you are on their site select Products at top of the page and see the drop-down selection.

Thanks, GGTexas Gal for providing the answer - I just saw your post.

Thanks to both of you -- we'll take a look :cool:

If it the same bank/insurance company I do business with I have found their (3rd party company) rates are no better than booking directly with the cruise line.

No OBC, but do occasionally have a Military Rate on Select Sailings . It may or may not be your best deal depending on current Promo.

And it is not offered to Canadian Military.

If it the same bank/insurance company I do business with I have found their (3rd party company) rates are no better than booking directly with the cruise line.

Must not be the same. We save $200 or more per person depending on cabin selected. We still get the same cruise line offered perks. They also will adjust if a better deal on cruise line comes up without an issue. I agree some of the third party vendors are not a great deal - such as flowers. Everyone should choose the right fit for their family hence why there are so many choices.

Military discounts:

NCL - Have not been offered in over 2 years (that I have seen)

Princess - extra Onboard Credit - https://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/ and https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Military_Personnel_Benefit_US.pdf for details must fill out and send in ahead of time

Royal Caribbean- periodic discounts for military, first responders, to include Canada - select sailings

Carnival - special pricing on select sailings, often marred by the lower priced past guest or Early Saver, but they just started something new (first time I saw it was tonight) called the Last Minute Military Guarantee rate - and it is a pretty low rate - and these rooms are not last minute, I did a mock-booking for Oct. But the military rate is a good rate for non-past guests, as well as those who want the refundable security that the ES rate does not offer (mind you, a set of orders usually gets a full refund or credit anyway).

MSC - 10% discount on nearly all sailings. Add this to a sailing with free kids and it makes for a good vacation price.

Disney Cruise Line - Great prices for military folks on select sailings - must act quickly as they are limited to 50 rooms per sailing when they are available, typically on one-off cruises, repo cruises, but do offer it on many regular ones. They also have codes for military discounts at Disney for those who are out priced of Shades of Greed due to rank (cheaper to stay at Disney properties when you hit a certain rank).

Celebrity - Savings per person based on room type. US and Canadian military. https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/cruise-deals/military-cruise-deal

Cunard - like Princess (both owned by Carnival), offers Onboard Credit for military - http://www.cunard.com/campaigns/military-cruise-benefit-programme/

Airlines - call the airline directly - many require the Active Duty CAC / ID to book at the discounted rates. Not all flights with all lines, but the discount is pretty good. Here is the list of airlines that currently have http://militaryoneclick.com/military-discounts-on-airline-travel-other-travel-benefits/

The military bank and insurance company that we do not speak the name of uses an outside travel agency to do their stuff. The rates are like going with a regular company, nothing special. If you want the best service, I recommend going with a reputable agent that is either hosted by a company, or works at a company, and can work directly with you time and time again. They will be able to find the best deal for you, with all your qualifiers, and keep you in mind on future discounts and opportunities.

Be wary of the growing number of veteran travel, veteran support, companies that offer military discounts or exclusives to their members and you have to pay to join to get the rates. The rates offered by your trusted agent, for free, will often be the same or lower if you talk to them. Just my opinion though.

These military offers are current as of now and change often. hope this helps.

You could probably save even more using one of the big online agencies, since they have a great deal of buying power (similar to shopping at BJ's or Sam's). Their group rate is available to everyone.

For my next cruise, NCL is currently charging 1569 pp, but with the group rate I got, I paid 1140. This is about 23.5% less than what NCL is charging.

• 2 months later...
You could probably save even more using one of the big online agencies, since they have a great deal of buying power (similar to shopping at BJ's or Sam's). Their group rate is available to everyone.

For my next cruise, NCL is currently charging 1569 pp, but with the group rate I got, I paid 1140. This is about 23.5% less than what NCL is charging.

We got 10% ex-military discount on Celebrity (if you book direct). My husband is ex UK Air Force.