Sewage Smells On Princess Ships ?

MTJSR

A year ago there was a horrible smell near one of the theaters on the Diamond. It did smell like sewage but was gone when we left the next port. Haven't had that experience on any of our other Princess cruises so think it was an isolated incident.

Without a doubt we noticed a sewage smell in a few places on the Sun Princess (I know.....say it aint so!) and we also noticed it on an older Carnival ship. We never noticed it on the Grand or Golden. Maybe they've improved technology since Sun Princess was built. Having said that, we're currently booked on the Sun again, as it was still an awesome ship and cruise!

We have been on 7 Princess ships in the last 7 years, and I have on 2 occasions caught a "wiff" of a sulfer odor from the engine exhaust. This was in the aft part of the ship when we were going right into the wind. Some fuel that has a high sulfer content, will give off an "odor" that smells like sewage.

All ships will do this from time to time when the wind is right and the fuel has a high sulfer content. I believe this is what some folks smell and confuse it with sewage. They are similiar.

Fair winds

Dave

The only ship (Princess or otherwise) that we've encountered a smell on is the Sun Princess. However, it would be gone the next day (or later the same day), and then we would encounter it in another location on another day. So whatever it was (I suspect sewage issues), it was quickly resolved and cleared up.

I've been on many cruises and used to disbelieve reports of sewage smells on ships. That'll teach me! On my last two Princess cruises (Regal and Dawn) there was a sewer smell every day in the hallway outside my room. On the Regal I was three floors below the Lido deck and on the Dawn I was on the Aloha deck. The smell was always there but was sometimes stronger than at other times.

Without a doubt we noticed a sewage smell in a few places on the Sun Princess (I know.....say it aint so!) and we also noticed it on an older Carnival ship. We never noticed it on the Grand or Golden. Maybe they've improved technology since Sun Princess was built. Having said that, we're currently booked on the Sun again, as it was still an awesome ship and cruise!

This was a urine smell ladies washroom by side of dining room....one nite only on The Sun.

Well, maybe I have a sensitive schnozz, but I've detected sewage smells on both the Dawn and Coral. Besides that, on the fore starboard section of the Promenade deck of the Coral was the unmistakable smell of rotting garbage several days during our December cruise. At first I thought it was something at the port until it followed us all the way to sea. I wouldn't let it keep me from sailing the Coral again though.

I've been on 10 Princess cruises and 5 were on the Grand Princess. For the first time, we had a very strong chemical smell coming from our shower drain on our last cruise on The Grand. The fumes was accompanied by a gurgling sound. A couple of days it was too strong to even use our bathroom. Of course, we reported it and it would go away - temporarily but the fumes would always come back. We figured our cabin must have been over a holding area.

We were in C701 and found the problem to be very annoying. :eek:

Just back from the Grand and every now and then walking on the decks midship we could smell a slight sewer smell coming from some blowers, possibly air vents? Never smelled anything inside.

You are right and it it not a problem or broken anything. When you have a sewer system and tons of garbage where the heck are you supposed to vent it? It has to be exhausted somewhere and you are going to smell something at some point in your cruise. We spend a lot of time on the Promanade deck running and walking and we always smell this foul air coming out of these vents. It is to be expected. :)

Archived