rome and pickpockets

I had a travel bag that I wore across my chest and tried to keep my arm over it most of the time - it had tons of pockets, so I always kept small amounts of cash in many pockets. My husband had his wallet in his front pocket. We also never carried more than a day's worth of cash.

We had no trouble in Rome, but heard of many who did. Of course, by the time we reached

Rome, we had already experienced problems in Barcelona, where we prevented two attempts at pickpocketing. After that, we were well prepared and very alert.

Some suggestions:

Buy a money belt that you wear under your clothes for your passport, most of your cash and credit cards. Have that money belt on before you leave the plane. Set yourself up each morning with a small amount of cash and maybe one credit card in a little wallet type (for ladies) purse that slings over your shoulder and across your chest. For men, keep your day wallet in your front pocket.

If you are on a day trip in port, leave your passport on the ship (you might want to keep a copy of it in your money belt).

Don't wear expensive looking jewellrey.

If you have baggage, you will be vulnerable, keep your bags close to you and if you decide to take bags on the metro, be especially aware of your surroundings (this is when we had our first problem). Pickpockets assume you will be easily distracted.

Always be aware of who is walking behind you and if you feel uncomfortable, let them pass or duck into a store for a minute.

If you insist on having a purse, never leave it on the floor or over a chair in a restaurant. We heard of someone who lost her purse by a man dragging it away from under her chair by using an umbrella.

All this may seem alarmist, but it becomes second nature after a while.

We were in Europe for 28 days, and after we learned our lesson the hard way, we had no other problems and had a wonderful time.

my son bought the best backpack it has a zipper on the inside against your back ,it has locks on the outsideperfect for waliking around .i used a small business card holder with i credit card & drivers licence i kept 50 euros in it .when we arrived in rome though i had a money belt under my shirt and tucked in

It is a big problem....especially on buses, metros and trains.

I lost some cash to young gypsies on a bus :mad: .......they travel on the buses that tourists use...........especially when crowded. I wanted to confront the girl that I knew that did it..........but they travel in packs and she probably had already passed it to an accomplice. It all happened in 5 seconds.

In addition to the good suggestions already mentioned, I carry a "decoy" wallet, an old one filled with some paper, in my back hip pocket. Its never been stolen but it has gotten a couple of "nibbles". I'd rather lose that than the real one.

...after smacking them upside the head...get your money back.

I read that the authorities will do nothing if they know you are a cruise visitor....no one will be back for the court date...so why bother?

Thanks for all the useful tips.....I bought a neck wallet which will be tucked under my high-necked t-shirt. Hopefully when I go in late Oct, it will be cool enough for a light jacket as well....

Do you think wearing a small backpack just for carrying purchases is a good idea? Would the pickpockets be interested in that stuff?

'Cause.... where does everyone put their purchases if one isn't supposed to carry bags, etc?

Again, thanks for the useful tips.

In addition to the good suggestions already mentioned, I carry a "decoy" wallet, an old one filled with some paper, in my back hip pocket. Its never been stolen but it has gotten a couple of "nibbles". I'd rather lose that than the real one.

Great idea! We call it "mugger money" and also do this. We are planning on splitting our money and such between us too. But the key is knowing your surroundings, if you look vulnerable they will key in on you in a second :eek:

Great idea! We call it "mugger money" and also do this. We are planning on splitting our money and such between us too. But the key is knowing your surroundings, if you look vulnerable they will key in on you in a second :eek:

I have been all over and have never been bothered. But I'm a pretty big guy. Will the pickpocket's still mess with me?

Do you think wearing a small backpack just for carrying purchases is a good idea? Would the pickpockets be interested in that stuff?

If you bought some nice jewelery ...

'Cause.... where does everyone put their purchases if one isn't supposed to carry bags, etc?

Please do not be over afraid. Of course you can carry a backpack or another closed bag if you want. Americans might feel more unsecure in European cities than e.g. in New York but you not really are. Just do not present your money openly. Carry your backpack on the front or hold your bag close and firm when you are in a bus or in a crowd. Avoid groups of children approaching you. But all this is very much common sense.

We were in Rome last Fall for the second time. I thought things were better this time around but yes, you need to be careful.

I will wear a wallet around my neck that stays under my shirt and take some money, one credit card and the appropriate identification. That's it. And my wife will not walk around with a purse. In most cases I will hold her ID.

The same is true in Barcelona.

Keith

I have been all over and have never been bothered. But I'm a pretty big guy. Will the pickpocket's still mess with me?
Yup. My husband's pretty buff and is 6'1", around 200 pounds, and those gypsies try to mess with him. In this case, size doesn't matter. :) They're not scared of size because they just run fast. We watched them take off as soon as the bus doors opened on one of our trips, and they were running from a big guy that they had just ripped off. I could go on and on about this. It's just infuriating because their culture is that you have more than them, so you should give it to them. Since you won't, they're going to take it. So you're in the wrong for not giving it to them, and they're not wrong for stealing. That's what they teach their children . . . .

Donna

A money belt or pouch is a good idea. They are sold in a lot of places - Target, Amazon.com, etc. Good for keeping your passports in and larger amounts of cash. But keep daily $ somewhere else - you don't want to be constantly going into your pouch under your clothes because that just draws attention to where you are keeping your money. If you do lose a small amount, then you still haven't lost it all.

Gypsies are very obvious looking, especially the women wearing big skirts, lots of layers, in big groups. If you see them coming you should know to be extra careful. HOWEVER don't go grabbing yourself wherever your money is stored if you haven't had your hands there already because again, they will see where you are keeping your $. In crowded tourist areas, just be aware of your surroundings.

My mom and I had small shoulder bags for purchases - not backpacks. Other people in our group had backpacks, but you can't see what's going on behind you. So we felt more comfortable with a shoulder bag. Also when walking on streets, try to remember to keep your bag on the opposite side of the street. A lot of Europeans use motorcycles/scooters and it would be very easy to snatch your bag and drive away quickly.

Remember these words, "Vada via" it means "go away" in Italian. The advice I've gotten is that no pickpocket wants to call attention to him/herself. If someone approarches you with a sign shoved in your face and you call out go away, usually they do.

You folks have alot of good ideas. Touch wood, I've never been bothered...and have been to both NYC and LA on my own.....but never to Europe. I think I know what to use...I have a large square sac with a flap that zips, and that's after you 'velcro' it down. It goes across my torso with a strap....and it can be held firmly against me. It is a strong bag.

It's true..if you look like you know where you're going...one doesn't look so vulnerable, and I'm not afraid to deek into a store/cafe to get a feeling of safety. No town or city is perfect for sure.....but knowing VADA VIA will sure help!!

I'm 6'2" 280lbs and was HOPING the gypsies would try to pickpocket me while using the metro in Paris. I am too smart, and too intimidating for any fool pickpocket to even try. That's what I thought BEFORE a fellow spilled his drink on my pant leg, then he knelt down and was trying to clean off my pants. My wife said 3 other men were for all 3 other sides were doing their craft before I took a swipe at the little fellow cleaning my leg. Then they all disapperaed...that fast. They were not successful, I kept my money. If you think you are to big and intimidating, I have news for you. YOU are just another challenge and mark to them. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a fake wallet in our back pockets, and when the pickpocket takes the goods, it activates a taser and drops the little bugger in his tracks?

.... Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a fake wallet in our back pockets, and when the pickpocket takes the goods, it activates a taser and drops the little bugger in his tracks?

In the muslim world if they catch you stealing they cut off your hand. I'm not that barbaric...I'd settle for a couple of fingers.:eek:

I'm a pretty big guy. Will the pickpocket's still mess with me?

I am 6' 4", 240 lbs and was picked by a woman about 4' 10", 100 lbs. Her head came to my stomach...but she was quick and got the money through a 1 1/2 inch slot.

The problem is.......one person mentioned smacking them.....you do not know how many are involved......could be you against 6 or 7. She got off the bus with her boyfriend at the next stop.

How do you carry money and credit cards? I've read not to have anything in your pockets, no fanny packs, etc. whats the best place?

I used a fanny pack all over Europe. But it is a special security pack. I had a couple of trys at it on Rome buses but they never go close to getting into it.

It has:

Continuous, flexible aircraft steel cable sewn into the waist strap – protects against “cut-and-run” theft

Waist strap buckle with a velcro wrap enclosure – very difficult for a thief to quietly unbuckle the waist strap

top pocket zipper, together with the front pocket zipper with a swivel clip – prevents a pick-pocket from opening the pocket(s) to access your valuables

3 zippered pockets

Top pocket contains a zippered pocket within a pocket – for stowing your most valuable items

(a second) Swivel clip inside the front pocket – convenient for attaching and providing security for keys

For more info Google "security fanny pack" and you will get some hits of manufactures. ;)

We are planning to carry a bag as a decoy and safety pin our neck pouch to our clothes. That was a suggestion a guide in Europe gave a friend of ours.

If they try to grab or cut the straps, it will also tug your clothes. If they cut the waist straps on the waist packs , the safety pins will hold it in place.

I carry a Samsonite travel wallet that hangs over my shoulder. I keep hold of it anytime anyone is around.

One of our traveling companions recently had her fanny pack pickpocketed in Romania. They opened the zipper and got her wallet. She's not even sure where. She just discovered the pack unzipped and her wallet gone when she got to the airport. Whoever did it was slick and professional, as this fanny pack was at her stomach right in front of her. You still have to be watchful.

One of our traveling companions recently had her fanny pack pickpocketed in Romania. They opened the zipper and got her wallet. She's not even sure where. She just discovered the pack unzipped and her wallet gone when she got to the airport. Whoever did it was slick and professional, as this fanny pack was at her stomach right in front of her. You still have to be watchful.

Same thing happened to my brother in Rome. Problem was nothing was preventing the zipper from being "pulled" open. :(

That is why I like my security fanny pack. It has a swivel hook sewn in that latches the three zipper pulls together and prevents the zipper(s) from being pulled open. It takes two hands to unhook the latch so any of the three zippers can be pulled open. If they figure out which of the three zippers to open and get into the correct pack "compartment" I have another zipper pocket inside they need to get past to get to the cash. ;)

Archived