no more captains cocktail party on fantasy?!?!?!?!

Rowan555

I wonder if the $1 off includes beer and wine? Even at $4 a beer, I don't know how many I would have, but it would be nice to check out the festivities.

The free booze the last night is nice - I wonder how many drinks I'll be able to nab in an hour... we shall see.

I agree on all counts! Great post (now write this to John pretty please lol)

LOL - I already did back when he first talked about the trial run on the Valor a few months ago. I am afraid to say something again - i don't want to be known as one of the whiners! :p

If enough of us voice our displeasure, though - maybe they will take a second look at it. I really hate to see so many of the "little" extras that make a cruise special go by the wayside. In the short three years I've been cruising (but have taken seven in that time) I've already seen the gala buffet go, the infamous fruit punch:rolleyes:, then the snacks at the captain's party, seen the size of the show bands and other live music acts diminish to where some are no more than a guy with a karaoke machine, then the past guest pins, now the drinks and formal reception for the Captains' night. I still maintain that getting rid of the pins was a little bit of a slap in the face to those of us who have chosen Carnival to spend thousands of our hard-earned $$. I can even see making them by request only to save since many didn't care. All this stuff is little and by no means cruise ruining, but it does start to add up after a while.

We went to the Captains Party and the past guest party last week on Liberty and really enjoyed it. We will not be going to the Captains party next week if they are going to try to stick alot of people in one of the smaller lounges where the free dinks will be and encouraging people to go to the other bars for 1.00 off drinks. At least they are keeping the past guest party. We will be driving 8 hours home after the cruise so we wont be partying it up the last night.

Just returned from the Fantasy last Saturday. They did have a Captain's Party with free drinks but no hor'doerves. They also had a Past Guest Party with free drinks plus hor'doerves. I really appreciated the complimentary cocktails since my alcohol was confiscated at the port of NOLA.

Winnie,

Please come back and tell us how this horrible thing happened. We need complete details!!!

I agree with others--CCL--is taking away a lot of the 'little" perks that make it fun. A little here and a little there eventually adds up to a whole lot of saved bucks for the big wigs.

We all need to be sure and let our voices be heard on those comment cards.

How can we be "expected" to always mark "exceeded my expectations" when they are taking away the small but fun things we all enjoy.

Thankfully I do have at least One pin from each ship we have been on--but am very sad to not be able to collect more. Are they being sold in the gift shops?

Happy sails!!!

I agree with others--CCL--is taking away a lot of the 'little" perks that make it fun. A little here and a little there eventually adds up to a whole lot of saved bucks for the big wigs.

We all need to be sure and let our voices be heard on those comment cards.

How can we be "expected" to always mark "exceeded my expectations" when they are taking away the small but fun things we all enjoy.

Thankfully I do have at least One pin from each ship we have been on--but am very sad to not be able to collect more. Are they being sold in the gift shops?

Happy sails!!!

You will still be able to get your pins since you are Platinum. They are the only ones that get them now.

I personally do not care about the pins, but I do love those SOAS :D

Trying to clear something up for our roll call for next weeks Fantasy cruise. Are there still free drinks for an hour in 1 lounge and discounts in the other lounges or is only discounts in all the lounges and NO free drinks for the Captains Party what so ever???

Just throwing in a little Math for some fun:

At the first of the "Captain's Celebrations" (possibly known in the future as the Coupon Cocktail Party), if you order a bar item with an advertised price of $6.50, you'll be able to acquire that beverage for a mere . . . $6.50 :p

You're basically/mentally removing the normal automatic gratuity from that particular purchase price.

Trying to clear something up for our roll call for next weeks Fantasy cruise. Are there still free drinks for an hour in 1 lounge and discounts in the other lounges or is only discounts in all the lounges and NO free drinks for the Captains Party what so ever???

No free drinks at the new 'meet and greet' on the 1st elegant night - only $1.00 off at all promenade bars....free drinks on last night - farewell.

I found it quite odd that when John Heald reported on his blog that this 'experiment' on the Valor was being well received? By whom? And how did this measure this? I agree with a previous poster - keep the free drinks at the Captain's party and give the $1.00 off on the last night!

Personally I think this sucks and will certainly be letting Carnival know (now and when I complete my comment card).

I challenge everyone to write to Carnival if they are displeased with the new policy and of course mention this on your comment cards if you wish - I agree that there was a certain ambience to the Captain's cocktail party which will no longer be!..... and who wants to fight the crowds between 5-6 pm on the last night when most of us are packing and/or getting ready for our last dinner for some free drinks - not smart Carnival!:mad:

Does anyone know what night they have the repeater's party on the Fantasy 5 night cruise?

I hate to hear they have done away with the free cocktails already. We have friends going with us and this was their first cruise. I was hoping they could soak up a little bit of freebies.

If enough people complain about this hopefully Carnival will reverse this policy.

I wish people would just skip the new captain's party and that would probably show them quickly but that is not likely to happen.

How John could say this program was well received with a straight face is hard for me to believe.

I found it quite odd that when John Heald reported on his blog that this 'experiment' on the Valor was being well received? By whom?

Probably by the bean counters back at Headquarters in Miami...:D

I honestly don't care much for the Captain's Cocktail Party these days, free drinks or not.

I remember the good ol' days of REAL Captain's Cocktail parties where attending meant that you were REALLY going to meet the captain and actually get to speak with him. Of course, what I'm talking about is when the ships were considerably smaller (my first cruise was on the 16,000 ton Cunard Princess). I know that on the newer and much larger ships of today, getting that type of interaction is almost impossible. I also think that the "glamour" factor associated with meeting the "Master of the Vessel" is long gone....

All I have to say on this move to Carn-evil......

Like the little peeps say....Cheap-cheap-cheap.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

As far as the Captain's Gala night goes I haven't gone to one in quite a while. I prefer to sit somewhere before dinner and have a nice martini with friends but, I think for those that like that party it sux......

This is so dissapointing to learn of the new procedures. We are not big on parties and drinking but, we always loved going to the Captain's reception and being able to dance to the orchestra. Getting dressed up for the evening and attending the Captain's Party was one of the real highlights for us. (guess you can tell, I don't get out much):D

We will be leaving on our anniversary cruise in about 18 days and I am really sad :( about these changes. We've got two more booked after this one...and if things are how I suspect....we may be cancelling the future cruises. :( Even though one of those is an early saver, I think I would just as soon lose the deposit as to go on the cruise.

Of course we only go on the short cruises as a way to just get away and have some time together, but they are always so special. It seems a little odd for them to do this on a three day cruise...would that not mean they would have the "meet and greet" on the second night and the "farewell" on the next night ( back to back)?:confused:

I agree that people should certainly voice their opinions to Carnival on this. I spoke with someone at Carnival last evening and told them how dissapointed we were with these new changes. There is just something about that word "change"! I keep hearing it more and more! UGH!! Hopefully the economic times will get better for everyone and Carnival will see that cutting back on these things will not be the way to go and "change" things back! ;):D

We just got off the Fantasy this past Saturday and we had the captain's party with free drinks. Also, on the first night, Risa, the cruise director announced that yes we are still having the free drinks for the captain's party. Neddless to say, she got a hugh ovation.

Did you like Risa as a cruise director. I thought she was just terrible.

I also did not care for Risa. The 8/31 cruise was her last before a 2 month vacation. She said that she would be back on the Fantasy out of Mobile in November.

Also, I had my alcohol in my carry-on. It was very creatively concealed as I have been doing for the last several cruises. By the way, this is the first time in 13 cruises that I was "caught". And I was not the one with several cases of beer and several fifths. The security person just got lucky (lucky for him, unlucky for me).

I cruise next month and am going to rethink my strategy.

I also did not care for Risa. The 8/31 cruise was her last before a 2 month vacation. She said that she would be back on the Fantasy out of Mobile in November..

Hope she decides to take a longer vacation, maybe indefinitely...;)

I didn't care for her either. She was the CD on the Imagination a few years back and I would just cringe every time I heard her voice.

I also did not care for Risa. The 8/31 cruise was her last before a 2 month vacation. She said that she would be back on the Fantasy out of Mobile in November.

Also, I had my alcohol in my carry-on. It was very creatively concealed as I have been doing for the last several cruises. By the way, this is the first time in 13 cruises that I was "caught". And I was not the one with several cases of beer and several fifths. The security person just got lucky (lucky for him, unlucky for me).

I cruise next month and am going to rethink my strategy.

On liberty last week we took 2 12 packs of cokes in our carry on. They didnt even look in our bags just asked us if if it was soda or beer...lol..we could put beer in a soda carton and they would of not known.

Archived