Private shore excursions vs. HAL

Kayelache

I've been sailing on HAL for the past dozen years, and cruising for almost forty years. On those early cruises, in the 70's, one bought a shore excursion "package" for something like $200 on a week or 10 day cruise for an excursion at every port. As recently as two years ago, the HAL shore excursions were affordable. Now they are anything but. I was horrified at the price of HAL's shore excursions on our upcoming cruise on the Volendam from Seattle to Hong Kong For instance, the HAL overnight excursion from the port to Beijing costs over $700. We can do far better with private tours, either by ourselves, or on a small group basis (under ten people, usually) set up on our CC Roll Call. Eight of us have an almost identical tour for $210. Last year, the cost for a bus into Rome from the port was almost $200. We took the high speed commuter train for $9 round trip. One could easily spend twice the cost of the cruise on shore excursions. I know costs for everything have gone up, but I don't understand the very, very expensive HAL shore excursions.

I really haven't seen a big increase in shore excursion prices in the 8 years we've cruised. The overnight excursions have always been very high priced.

OP compares a $9 train to Rome to a $200 HAL "bus into Rome". The HAL excursion must have been a full day guided excursion to Rome which probably included a meal. We did a HAL shore excursion in Rome a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

I've been sailing on HAL for the past dozen years, and cruising for almost forty years. On those early cruises, in the 70's, one bought a shore excursion "package" for something like $200 on a week or 10 day cruise for an excursion at every port. As recently as two years ago, the HAL shore excursions were affordable. Now they are anything but. I was horrified at the price of HAL's shore excursions on our upcoming cruise on the Volendam from Seattle to Hong Kong For instance, the HAL overnight excursion from the port to Beijing costs over $700. We can do far better with private tours, either by ourselves, or on a small group basis (under ten people, usually) set up on our CC Roll Call. Eight of us have an almost identical tour for $210. Last year, the cost for a bus into Rome from the port was almost $200. We took the high speed commuter train for $9 round trip. One could easily spend twice the cost of the cruise on shore excursions. I know costs for everything have gone up, but I don't understand the very, very expensive HAL shore excursions.

I understand your frustration on the pricing on some of the HAL tours. For me, 99% of my tours are with local guides that are recommended by friends or by websites like this.

Now I do take an occasional ship tour. I took a great one on the Maasdam in Barbados where the pricing was reasonable. There was only six people on the tour with two guides on a large bus.

Now I've also come across some private tours that were pricy. I spent about $150 for a tour in Guadeloupe last year. I was second guessing myself on spending that much on a non ship tour. That tour end up being the best that I ever taken and it was worth every dollar!!

It's all about researching and knowing what you look for in a tour. There are those will book ship tours because they don't worry about missing the ship and that that the tour is connected with the shipline.

Go with what's best for you and meet your needs!!

When I saw ship's shore excursion prices for Alaska, I smugly assumed I could do much better booking privately.

No so. Alaska isn't like any of my past cruises. Pricing didn't vary much, private versus ship's own. Maybe 10 -20%, max.

Also, as a solo traveller, I hit an unexpected brick wall. Some tour operators will help you put together a tour with others when there are 2, 3, 4 of you. However, as a solo, there were ports where "ship's own" turned out to be my best/only alternative. (Yes, I tried to interest a group before sailing. Roll call wasn't very active.)

Kayelache, I suspect for ports on longer voyages, a couple other factors come into play.

Some cruisers are very hesitant to make their own arrangements in communist or third world countries. It's the Forrest Gump "chocolate box" theory - you don't know what you're going to get.

You can be pretty sure of what you're going to get if you put a lot of research and effort into it. But, some people would rather pay more, and let others make the arrangements.

When deciding between a private tour and a ship sponsored tour we try to balance the cost, time and distance, and risk. Where we feel that the tour will take us too far away from the ship and therefore risk missing the departure we'll go with a ship sponsored tour. We also go with ship sponsored tours if we're in a new port with few recommendations. On the other hand, if it's a port we've been to before and we have a certain comfort level or there are several recommendations available we'll go with a private tour. For instance, we'll be stopping in Alexandria, Egypt on our next cruise. Obviously the main attraction is the potential to visit the Giza Plateau and the pyramids. The risk factors there are such that we wouldn't consider anything but a ship sponsored tour. Go back to previous cruises and we're docked in Dominica. Here we went with a private guide and had a fantastic time as he not only showed us the tourist highlights of the island but actually showed and shared with us a sampling of what it was like to live there. Sometimes organization is good and worthwhile, sometimes going a bit freelance is better. I think the bottom line for us is kind of a comfort level and if we're the least bit uncomfortable going it alone then we stick with the ship sponsored tours. Of course, there are times and places where the tours are not attractive or too expensive or we have no interest so the quiet time on the ship is great and it's a wonderful destination in and of itself. :)

I hate to tell people but some private tours are really expensive these days. We are setting something up in Bejing for the day and its not cheap.

I'm not sure where HAL would be taking guests for $700.00 but I agree some are very pricey. I've been looking at Azamara shore excursions since that is my next trip and they want $1,700pp for a 2 night overland to Angkor Wat. Now that does include flights, 2 nights hotel, dinner show AND tour the morning back in Bangkok the last day of the tour so it is very comprehensive. However, I am doing that for a fraction of the cost (and for only one night). Its easy in Angkor because the hotel will give you a driver for $20.00 US for half a day (a tuk tuk is even cheaper). On the other hand Azamara has an overnight (no flights involved) to Kanchanburi with ride on train, elephant riding etc that I think is reasonable for a ships tour at $395.00pp. We aren't going but I bring it up because the tour guides to this region are expensive at $100.00-$300.00 pp (without hotel and dinner) depending on how many people and what you are doing. Back in Bangkok I can get a guide for half a day for $15.00.

My point is that you need to know exactly where you are going and staying and what the costs would be on your own.

I really haven't seen a big increase in shore excursion prices in the 8 years we've cruised. The overnight excursions have always been very high priced.

OP compares a $9 train to Rome to a $200 HAL "bus into Rome". The HAL excursion must have been a full day guided excursion to Rome which probably included a meal. We did a HAL shore excursion in Rome a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

I have been to Rome the past two years on HAL. As of 2008 it was $85.00pp each way for transportation direct to the airport or ship - No tour.

But, thats the cost in Rome. We paid about the same for a private Sedan, but it was private. Just us one year and another couple last year. So, for two people a private driver in Rome is about the same as using the ships bus, but why be on a big bus.

Rome transfers are about $85.00pp (probably at least $90.00pp by now and no tour or food) and that was probably where the $200.00 estimate came from.

I agree with Randy's thinking on this. My rule of thumb is the farther away from the ship that the tour goes, the more likely I am to book the ship's tour offering. Several years ago, I paid over $600 for a day-long trip from St. Petersburg to Moscow. While that was a terribly high price, it was worth it for the Red Square experience AND having the cruise line handling all arrangements. (It was an overnight in St. Petersburg, so I wasn't worried about missing the sailaway.)

I'm going to stay with the ship sponsored excursions. Here's why. We were in Roatan, probably with an NCL ship, and we decided to take a ship sponsored tour. Well, we were led to a rat-trap vehicle with "El Maniaco" painted on the side. Kind of scary, huh. And this was ship sponsored. Up and down the hills we went, and I was frightened for my life. Can you imagine selecting a private tour? Makes you wonder.

OP - yes, you are right about the high price of cruise sponsored shore excursions. The cruise lines make a killing off of excursions as evidenced by the CNBC special earlier in the year. While I agree with others about some of the more distant excursions I do find it frustrating to pay double and triple the going rate for essentially the same tour. The best thing to do is your research. Find out what others are saying about your ports and who they trust and book from there. My personal comfort level would prohibit me from booking an overnight with anyone other than the cruise line. However, you know you best, so only you can decide what will be too much for you.

Good luck!

When deciding between a private tour and a ship sponsored tour we try to balance the cost, time and distance, and risk. Where we feel that the tour will take us too far away from the ship and therefore risk missing the departure we'll go with a ship sponsored tour. We also go with ship sponsored tours if we're in a new port with few recommendations. On the other hand, if it's a port we've been to before and we have a certain comfort level or there are several recommendations available we'll go with a private tour. For instance, we'll be stopping in Alexandria, Egypt on our next cruise. Obviously the main attraction is the potential to visit the Giza Plateau and the pyramids. The risk factors there are such that we wouldn't consider anything but a ship sponsored tour. Go back to previous cruises and we're docked in Dominica. Here we went with a private guide and had a fantastic time as he not only showed us the tourist highlights of the island but actually showed and shared with us a sampling of what it was like to live there. Sometimes organization is good and worthwhile, sometimes going a bit freelance is better. I think the bottom line for us is kind of a comfort level and if we're the least bit uncomfortable going it alone then we stick with the ship sponsored tours. Of course, there are times and places where the tours are not attractive or too expensive or we have no interest so the quiet time on the ship is great and it's a wonderful destination in and of itself. :)

We were in Egypt last year and 15 of us took a private tour with Decastro tours which was recommended from the cc boards, we had an amazing time just as we were leaving the Main tourist sites Museum, Pyramids etc 3-4 hugh buses were pulling up loaded with cruise ship passengers We always seemed to be a step ahead of the crowds which was priceless We also took private tours in Italy (Amalfi Coast Pompeii) Turkey Athens and were equally impressed by all and we were returned to the ship with plenty of time to spare. Just make sure to do your research and book with a reputable company and you may never book a ship tour again.

Any time we are in a new port and not familiar with the area -- and know that we are going to be traveling a great distance and be gone for most of the day -- we don't take risks -- we take the ship's tour.

I would rather pay more -- be safe than sorry.

I feel the same way. There have been 3 different times when we set up our own tours and it didn't work out well. I usually book with the ship the first time I visit a port

On board excursions are maybe a little more expensive.

3 years ago we purchase a tour to San Jose Costa Rica. It was a full day and our bus was in an accident. We were late by over 1 hour after the scheduled departure but the ship waited for us. We were 45 passengers but the ship was responsible because we bought from them. The guide called the ship and delays the ship departure for us.

We did a good choice there.

We also did for Panama Canal and do enjoyed it a lot even if it was a little expensive.

We were in Egypt last year and 15 of us took a private tour with Decastro tours which was recommended from the cc boards, we had an amazing time just as we were leaving the Main tourist sites Museum, Pyramids etc 3-4 hugh buses were pulling up loaded with cruise ship passengers We always seemed to be a step ahead of the crowds which was priceless We also took private tours in Italy (Amalfi Coast Pompeii) Turkey Athens and were equally impressed by all and we were returned to the ship with plenty of time to spare. Just make sure to do your research and book with a reputable company and you may never book a ship tour again.

You're right that a smaller group on a tour would be much, much better and I certainly appreciate your recommendation which I will research. Of course, I then would have to convince my wife that a private tour would be just fine. I kind of have this vision of missing the ship and me trying to explain through my crushed windpipe, from my wife's hands around my neck, that we have to fly to someplace like Crete to get to our next stop which is Israel. :o I say Crete because when I lived in Europe there were no flights from Egypt to Israel and vice versa. In as much as my wife wants to see Israel as badly as I want to see Egypt I have a feeling that she's not going to want to take the chance. :)

I kind of have this vision of missing the ship and me trying to explain through my crushed windpipe,

One of the reasons I am vewy, VEWY careful about which non-ship tours we take. Like others here, we do a mix of ship and local, needing a certain comfort level before I book a non-ship's excursion.

We rarely do excursions in Europe that are not ship sponsored. I feel far too much can go wrong.

Back in 2000, we did a 10-night Baltic on old Noordam and we got Russian Visa's so we could venture out on our own - that was the last time.

Long story short, we got stuck in traffic in St. Petersburg and luckily a tour was also stranded so we didn't miss the ship - but we had quite an adventure with the locals. :eek:

I think I'd book HAL excursions in Central & So. America as well. They may cost more, but oh, the peace of mind. :)

Our experience is that we not only find the private tours less expensive, but that we are less likely to feel like cattle being herded on a private tour. I was very pleased with our St. Petersburg tour with Alla -- we were able to tailor the visit to exactly match our interest and energy levels, and we were able to constantly interact with the tour guide, which is invaluable to me.

I've also found that, if we research properly, we can go out on our own quite nicely. We used public transportation (taxis, trolleys, ferries) in the vast majority of ports in the Baltics, and found it to be a much more pleasant experience than riding the "big bus".

With a lot of internet research, I have booked some great private tours

that were almost identical in some cases to HAL's offerings but for

much less money.

They were, however, in Caribbean and Mexican ports and only a few

hours in duration.

For longer and more complex tours in more exotic locales, I agree with

the others here that peace of mind inherent with booking the official

HAL package may be more important than the cost (within reason).

As others have said the keys for booking non-ship excursions are....research here and on the CC Roll Calls...determining the risk in terms of the length of the excursion....and the port you are in.

On our cruise up the Amazon we saved $800 over the HAL excursions in Manaus....and we booked the exact same excursions with the same company that HAL contracts with. In fact there were folks on one of the excursions we took from the ship who paid double what we did. But, it was an overnight stop so the time restraints were not all that great.

Last April 4 of us saved a total of $1200 over the ship price for excursions in Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo, La Paz and Loreto. The only close call we had was in Mazatlan...of all places...getting back from Stone Island. I can only say that there was a lot of shouting at the tour provider and no tips for anyone!!! However, we did pay $129 pp for a seven hour excursion to El Fuerte from Topolabampo

If you plan carefully, do your research, and don't take obvious risks in some countries you can save money on shorex.

Cruise lines are looking for ways to make up for the cheaper fares. This is one way. Add to that the people that feel they have to take all of their bottled water, soda and alcohol on board as if they were going camping. Don't see that much on HAL but take a trip to the Carnival or Royal Caribben boards. Those are also the same people who complain about the cutbacks.

Thanks to the Cruisecritic ports of call boards many, not all, ports, you can find excellent private vendors. There are lots of variables besides money- time, distance, etc that come into the decision. Also, alot depends on the itinerary as to whether we have done 100% private down to 50% private vendors.

Of course the cruiselines need to make a profit on the excursions, as well as the vendors. But the vendors have to sign contracts with the cruiselines to meet strong criteria- safety & insurance, getting back to the ship at a specific time, being some of those.

We all value different things. For some the cost is most important, for others it's the security of knowing the ship arranged things with the vendor. Don't blame the cruiseline because it's found out after the cruise one could have got a similar excursion on their own for less money. Do the research ahead or accept what you get. As I've said before I'm just grateful I can cruise for my vacation.

attitude-759516.jpg

Archived