Warning Dream deck 8 aft 9A wraps

jetwet1

It wouldn't be the first time the deck plans have not matched what was actually there, before we really got into CC we went on a cruise on the Legend, when we booked the cabin we did a 3-way call with our TA and the CCL rep, we picked out 4226, a CAT 11 suite.

Of course 5 minutes of searching on here would of told us that that is not the one to go for as there is a stairway that cuts right by the bedroom window AND removes 2/3 of the balcony.

Needless to say that we were more than a little shocked to find our balcony missing, a quick phone call to our TA resulted in CCL saying there wasn't a stairways there (so I am blind), however there was a 12 open, but I had to go to the pursers desk to pay them the difference to move.

Well I guess in the time that it took me to get from the cabin to the desk it had been sold :(, however the amusing thing to me was, they denied there was a stairway there as well.

Well we were ready to walk off the ship, but friends from Europe had flown in to cruise with us, so we were kind of stuck.

We woke up to a person looking through the curtains at us (have the picture) and it became a very frequent thing for people to knock on the window as they climbed the stairs, very annoying.

I called CCL when we returned, of course there was no stairway in their mind, so I emailed them the pictures and told them to look at their deck plans.

This resulted in an offer of a plate of chocolate covered strawberries as compensation, you can take a guess at what I said to that.

As I am very much the type of person that just says "F this" and spends his money elsewhere I figured CCL had seen the last of me.

However a very nice lady called Anita Dunham-Potter found out about all this somehow, she works for MSNBC, she interviewed my wife and then talked to CCL, funnily enough a much fairer compensation package was offered and accepted, with the condition that the deck plans were changed to show the stairway there.

The thing that bugged me then and will bug me about these cabins isn't so much the fact that they are wrong, it's the thought that at some point someone is going to book the cabin who has spent a lot of time saving their hard earned money to take a dream cruise and they end up with something they should never have been sold. More so in the case of the Cat 11's on the Spirit class where there is a huge different in cost between a balcony cabin and a suite.

Ok off my soap box now :D

WOW :eek:.....what a history!! No wonder you were checking out those photos with a fine tooth comb.

Well....as promised....when I hear anything back from Mach and/or my CVS I will be sure to let you know.

AH YES... the "famous" 4226 and 4235 cabins! :eek:

Even then, you would have some TA's who fail (either intentionally and not) to properly inform people!

(Not to worry about the soapbox --- I use one from time to time as well!)

Tom

... make that an "or" instead of "and"...:o

Tom

Well at last I found a good quality picture of the aft of the Dream, looking at it I couldn't help but notice the deck 8, 9A aft wraps are in fact, not wraps.

LINK

To me it looks like a divider cuts into the balcony before before the balcony wraps around and the 2 8C cabins have a wrap balcony.

Needless to say the deck plans show the 9A's as having the wrap, but the pictures clearly show they don't.

Or am I seeing things ?

Oh here is another picture, if you zoom in a little the divider is clearly there.

LINK

I got an email Friday while I was on the Conquest asking if I could help with this issue.

A quick glance at the deck plans clearly shows eight aft wrap cabins divided among the Upper Deck, Empress Deck, Verandah Deck and the Vista Deck.

However, I emailed a friend of mine, the Director of Public Affairs for Carnival and posed the question.

He assured me that there are indeed eight 'aft wrap' cabins on the Dream. He refers to them as 'corner balconies' and Carnival refers to them as 'Premium balconies' as on other ships.

I hope this helps put this one to bed.

:)

Mach

I got an email Friday while I was on the Conquest asking if I could help with this issue.

A quick glance at the deck plans clearly shows eight aft wrap cabins divided among the Upper Deck, Empress Deck, Verandah Deck and the Vista Deck.

However, I emailed a friend of mine, the Director of Public Affairs for Carnival and posed the question.

He assured me that there are indeed eight 'aft wrap' cabins on the Dream. He refers to them as 'corner balconies' and Carnival refers to them as 'Premium balconies' as on other ships.

Mach

Good to hear - and I truly hope that is the case!

But looking at the photos - it still does not look that way - but only for Deck 8 (Verendah) :o. In the photos posted earlier in this thread for Deck 8 you can clearly see the 6 "extended aft" balconies - which matches the published deck plans. Then it looks like there is a cabin and then the balcony with the corner.

We have 8473 booked which is supposed to be a wrap. And according the the deck plans 8473 is next to the "extended afts". So there is the confusion.

The cabin circled in red - in my previous post - is the cabin in question. Is it 8473 :confused: - in which case it is not a wrap or are there more that 6 extended aft balconies on Deck 8 - even though the deck plans show 6 and 8473 is actually the next cabin over :confused: or.....the the whole thing some kind of optical illusion :confused:.

... and we've still got the question about what's beside those deck 8 9A's ... is it dead space, or are you actually connected to the balconies of friends who booked on either side of you?

(Not asking if we can remove the divider, just asking if they're really side by side!)

What compensation is due??

:confused:

Sorry for the confusion Mack, if you read my post above you will see that we went through this type of thing before with Carnival, my post above explains it better, but short of marching an exec to the balcony of 4226 you couldn't get anyone to admit that the balcony was smaller than shown on the deck plans.

My compensation comment was aimed in jest, if the reports do come back that the 9A's are not wraps then we will be moving, however we now have it from an executive that they are wraps, so that kind of puts Carnival in a breach of contract position :rolleyes:

It's tough to decide what constitutes a "wrap" when the entire aft of the ship is one large arc. Does it need to, at a minimum, include that transition point where it goes from straight (either port or starboard) to a curve - and if so, how much beyond that point ... how many feet of balcony railing?

It's not a clear cut issue. Our favorite "aft wraps" (Spirit class ships) on deck 4 have very close to FORTY feet of deck railing - and there is no doubt as to the "wrap" classification.

As I have said before, and will again, I was saddened that Carnival did not place some SWEET SUITES on the Dream's aft-corners. At least on ONE deck!

Oh well!

Tom

Mach

Deck 9 Vista appears to have public access via a hall to each wrap (Port-Starboard). Cat for the adjoining cabins is not 9A but 8D, 9472 & 9475. May be there is a missing line on the plan adjacent to those cabins. Really needs clarification! I guess the question is are these 2 wraps part of the total of 8. :o

Edited by MikeM
Spelling

Deck 9 Vista appears to have public access via a hall to each wrap (Port-Starboard). Cat for the adjoining cabins is not 9A but 8D, 9472 & 9475. May be there is a missing line on the plan adjacent to those cabins. Really needs clarification! I guess the question is are these 2 wraps part of the total of 8. :o

I checked 'Cruisestaterooms.com' and they describe those balconies as wrap around balconies with the same square footage as other aft wraps.

I emailed John Heald and I'm sure he'll pass the question along to someone on the Dream for an answer.

I'll post when I hear from him.

It's tough to decide what constitutes a "wrap" when the entire aft of the ship is one large arc. Does it need to, at a minimum, include that transition point where it goes from straight (either port or starboard) to a curve - and if so, how much beyond that point ... how many feet of balcony railing?

It's not a clear cut issue. Our favorite "aft wraps" (Spirit class ships) on deck 4 have very close to FORTY feet of deck railing - and there is no doubt as to the "wrap" classification.

As I have said before, and will again, I was saddened that Carnival did not place some SWEET SUITES on the Dream's aft-corners. At least on ONE deck!

Oh well!

Tom

Absolutely...I agree. We have had several "aft wraps" - including that awesome Cat 11 on the Spirit that is your favorite - and they have all been slightly different.

There have been several concerns raised in this thread....but my concern here is related specifically to the 9A's on Deck 8 of the Dream - 8473, even more specifically. From the photos it looks like 8473 is basically an extended aft - with NO larger a balcony that the other extended afts- much less a wrap. Which will be very disappointing since when we booked - and paid for - that cabin oh so many months ago - it was a 9A wrap based on the published deck plans.

So that is what I am trying to clarify.

This may help a little....

David Asked:

Submitted on 2009/08/06 at 10:26pm

Hi John Please reply

We are booked on the Carnival Dream 3/27/10 and while we were bummed to learn that you won’t be our CD I did find a great deal….I hope.

We have had a 9A cabin booked on our last 3 cruises, and loved them so we booked the same on the Carnival Dream. Then after looking at the deck plans we noticed the wrap balconies on Vista deck. These are not 9A’s but 8D’s, which makes them a lot cheaper. We have now changed our booking to cabin 9472.

Did we uncover a great bargain, or am I missing something? Is there something inferior with these cabins? Do they come with a bed and toilet icon_smile.gif ?

Any info you have would be appreciated.

Keep up the great work!

John Says:

Hello David

I leave your Carnival Dream on the 27th as that’s when Todd is scheduled to return but never mind, you have found a great deal and you have found it on a ship that will leave you breathless. The cabin you have booked does indeed have a toilet but it’s on the balcony which, if the weather is nice, shouldn’t be a problem…kidding. You have found a great bargain and there is nothing inferior about these cabins and the wrap balconies are truly superb. The interior space of the 8D is a little smaller than the 9A but the balcony is bigger. I will be taking photos of all the cabins classes soon and you will see what I mean.

Hope this helps and I hope you are excited about your Carnival Dream cruise.

Best wishes,

John

Has anyone stayed or seen room 8449 on the Freedom? This is a category 9A next to the wrap room on Verandah deck. Unfortunately on the sailing we are wanting to book this is the only 9A available. The balcony is quite large but not sure about the room or potential noise from the stairway next to the room. If anyone has any pictures or info on the room I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

Mike

mikel1733 at yahoo dot com

Has anyone stayed or seen room 8449 on the Freedom? This is a category 9A next to the wrap room on Verandah deck. Unfortunately on the sailing we are wanting to book this is the only 9A available. The balcony is quite large but not sure about the room or potential noise from the stairway next to the room. If anyone has any pictures or info on the room I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

Mike

mikel1733 at yahoo dot com

That stairway will not be a problem - it is for crew only except for the muster drill.

We had a similar room on the Splendor and we loved it!! The cabin configuration was a little odd - but the balcony more that made up for it :D ;). I doubt that you will be disappointed with that choice!

Edited by happy cruzin

I just happen to notice this link..very informative!!!

https://www.bookccl.com/irman/

Interesting site!

Looking at the specific room details for the Cat 9A corners -- it does call them "wrap-around balcony" cabins - but all 3 decks show the same (generic) figures for each:

-----------------------------

6492 9A OSTW 185/75 = 260 sq ft

Beds twin/king / rab: 0

View window and wrap-around balcony

Balcony partition connects to: none

Bathroom shower-toilet-sink

Features: flat screen-TV; telephone; 110 AC current; individual climate control; hair dryer; safe; minibar; 3-closets; sofa and coffee table; Balcony features: 2 patio chairs and table

I don't think that the 185 sq ft interior figure is correct, as those cabins - though of different shapes - do tend to be larger than the typical cabin. Also - the 75 sq ft for the balcony is not correct. It's nice that they list EACH individual cabin there, but they are using general figures and portraying them as actual stats for those cabins... :rolleyes:

----------------------------------

I know that the typical Cat 9A balcony on a Conquest class ship is WELL over 120 sq ft... and here is what is shown for one of those:

Cabin 6483 9A OSTW 185/75 sq ft

Beds: twin/king rab:0

View: 2 windows and wrap-around balcony

connecting balconies: 6481

TV; telephone; 110 AC current; individual climate control; hair dryer wall safe; minibar; 3-closets; shower;

chair and coffee table

Note: Cabin has twin/king-1 sofabed (9A OST3) on: LI FD

------------------------------------------------------------

Time (and my tape measure) will tell!

Tom

Interesting site!

Looking at the specific room details for the Cat 9A corners -- it does call them "wrap-around balcony" cabins - but all 3 decks show the same (generic) figures for each:

6492 9A OSTW 185/75 = 260 sq ft

Beds twin/king / rab: 0

View window and wrap-around balcony

Balcony partition connects to: none

Bathroom shower-toilet-sink

Features: flat screen-TV; telephone; 110 AC current; individual climate control; hair dryer; safe; minibar; 3-closets; sofa and coffee table; Balcony features: 2 patio chairs and table

I don't think that the 185 sq ft interior figure is correct, as those cabins - though of different shapes - do tend to be larger than the typical cabin. Also - the 75 sq ft for the balcony is not correct. It's nice that they list EACH individual cabin there, but they are using general figures and portraying them as actual stats for those cabins... :rolleyes:

----------------------------------

I know that the typical Cat 9A balcony on a Conquest class ship is WELL over 120 sq ft... and here is what is shown for one of those:

Cabin 6483 9A OSTW 185/75 sq ft

Beds: twin/king rab:0

View: 2 windows and wrap-around balcony

connecting balconies: 6481

TV; telephone; 110 AC current; individual climate control; hair dryer wall safe; minibar; 3-closets; shower;

chair and coffee table

Note: Cabin has twin/king-1 sofabed (9A OST3) on: LI FD

------------------------------------------------------------

Time (and my tape measure) will tell!

Tom

Yeah...I noticed the same thing :rolleyes:. They are listing them to be all the same - anyone who has had a 9A wrap knows that each ship - and each deck - is slightly different :o.

You are right.....time - and your tape measure - will get us an answer and I really appreciate your offer. But, I just hope we can get some information - and maybe even to the bottom of the issue - before you even go ;)!!

Well.....John Heald has spoken....according to this thread the deck 8 aft wraps on the Dream are NOT wraps :eek:!! They are looking to "fix" the situation....whatever that means :rolleyes:.

Here is the link to the thread that has his response: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=21590721&posted=1#post21590721

Mach

NOPE!! :(

According to this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=21590721&posted=1#post21590721 we are correct to be concerned.

According to this poster they have gotten confirmation from John Heald that the aft wraps are NOT aft wraps afterall :eek:. They are looking to resolve the situation "quickly" - what ever that may mean :o

Edited by happy cruzin

MY CRUISE IS RUINED!!!

I NOW DEMAND CARNIVAL NOT ONLY GIVE ME HALF OFF MY NEXT CRUISE, BUT THEY GIVE ME THIS CRUISE FOR FREE AS WELL AS UPGRADING ME TO THE OWNER'S SUITE ON THE DREAM!!!!

*I am joking*

Edited by Amerikaner83

MY CRUISE IS RUINED!!!

I NOW DEMAND CARNIVAL NOT ONLY GIVE ME HALF OFF MY NEXT CRUISE, BUT THEY GIVE ME THIS CRUISE FOR FREE AS WELL AS UPGRADING ME TO THE OWNER'S SUITE ON THE DREAM!!!!

*I am joking*

I hear 'ya ;)!!

This whole thing is VERY upsetting. When you book a specific cabin - almost a year out from your sailing - it is because you really want THAT cabin (or balcony in this case).

But, I keep reminding myself that it not just us - there are alot of people who have those cabins booked before my sailing in January. So I figure that they will have to do something pretty quickly....right??!??!?!