Does Anyone Else Hate the Sting Rays ?

DFritz

The crowds were one reason I did a private charter with Capt. Marvin. We were at a different spot from the large boats and it was only my group of friends. We had a blast...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;6;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Jewel of The Seas<BR

Sensation 3/99

Majesty of The Seas 12/03

I was with Capt Marvin which was fine but there still were about a dozen boats and several hundred shreaking people in the water at the same time. Addding to the panic factor, as pointed out, is that the water was higher than many expected. WIth the waves uneven bottom and swarms of rays it is certainly a bit overwhelming.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

OOO I love them too. When I was in Belize we did the Shark/Ray snorkle thingy. I got to hold a baby shark that our guide caught for us and then when we swam back to the boat he chummed the water to bring the rays... now these are not like the ones in Grand Cayman they are the same but not as used to people all the time. They loved the guide but they knew him and he feeds them. We observed them and played with them a bit but it was not the up close and personal thing like Grand Cayman.

I can understand some might be a bit timid of them. I was at first but then I just relaxed and got into the feeling of living the Discovery Channel.. I was just so amazed and one of them took a liking to me and would not leave me alone the whole time. I could go under and put my arms out and he would come right up on them and get "face to face" with me. It was crazy.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;30;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Voyager of the Seas!

Voyager 10/04

Rhapsody 10/02 03/02 1/02 11/01

Elation 10/99

Grandeur 09/97

For anyone in the Houston area,or visiting before a cruise,you can now get an idea of this at www.kemahboardwalk.com

They now have a "pet the stingrays" attraction.You don't get in and swim,its just kind of a petting tank.I have not been yet,but we will try it out Friday night.I am anxious to try this as we are booked with nativeway in Sept,and want to see how DS 5 yo,will react.Right now he is very excited!

Rhapsody Reunion 9-12-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

1_4_51.gif

I'm a long-time Scuba diver, and on my first trip to Sting Ray City, I was so excited that I was the first one off of the excursion boat, the first one to grab a handful of chopped-up squid, and the last one to get back on. I think that I was fortunate to have gone during a low season time (mid-Dec), and the water was very calm, and there weren't that many boats there. I thought it was one of the very best excursions I ever did, and went back twice after that (but not on a cruise excursion. Stayed in a friend's condo in GC, and went on a weekend. It was even better then). It's not for everyone, but I loved it! I've fed sharks, held sharks, fed sting rays, ridden dolphins, fed Orcas, dived with huge sun fish and black-tipped reef sharks, seen Morays, and loved every minute. The worst problems I've had were with those pesky jellyfish and fire coral. On the other hand, I wouldn't exactly walk into a grizzley bear enclosure.

Nitra- In my opinion "It wasn't crazy" but maybe the folks in the water are. icon_eek.gif 'Timid" , No , I'm not timid, I'm scared sh**less in the water. Someone couldn't give me all the money in the Cayman Islands to get out of the boat with these creatures. I'm just thankful to find out that I'm not alone. Overcrowding in the water won't be a problem with me around.

Someone else on this thread wanted to know what we were afraid of. To answer that question I ask one of my own. Are you afraid of snakes, rats, spiders, bats, rapists, cave-ins, fires? I'm not! I'm afraid of fish and creatures of the sea.

Yeah, I know, God gave them to us to enjoy and I do, but with a fork and salt shaker. icon_wink.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;04;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

'Til my next cruise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DFritz:

Yeah, I know, God gave them to us to enjoy and I do, but with a fork and salt shaker. icon_wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL icon_smile.gif I swam with them once, and one time was enough for me! Good thing my SO has no interest in water activities icon_wink.gif

Any other suggestions on what to do in the Caymen Islands?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;26;17;1;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of the Seas 6/26/04

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

We have been there twice, loved it both times. We have held them, kissed them, had them swim up on us, had one put on my back. If at all possible don't miss this. They took us to see the eels, them I didn't want to kiss.

Sovereign 598

Sovereign 599

Sovereign 500

Voyager 1100

Explorer 501

Radiance 1101

Majesty 302

Adventure 402

Enchantment 1102

Monarch 103

Legend 403

Navigator 1103

Mariner 304

Grandeur 404

Sovereign 504

Serenade 1104

Last april We snorkled with stingrays in Nassau.

It wasn't too crowded and though many were alittle bit nervous, noone seemed to panic; ther was no "screaming". Just a laid back, enjoyable experience. Never been to Sting Ray City and those rays sound more people oriented. The ones in Nassau were a bit more timid and less intimidating. My wife and I go on whale watches almost every year in Cape Cod or Maine and if it were possible we'd be out there with a naturalist in a raft to get as close to them as possible. Something about sea life in their natural habitat really appeals to us. So obviously we loved our stingray experience!

Nordic Empress (EOS) 5/93

Monarch 5/95

Adventure 4/02

Majesty 4/04

Legend 2006

I hated it - I have pics of me crying and squeeming away and freaking out. The water was up to my mouth the waves were carrying me up and all I could think about on the way down from a wave was "the guys said to make sure NOT to step on them or they will sting you."

I hated it it but Im glad I did it because they are some great pics!

Enchantment Feb,2002; Monarch Nov,2002; Radiance Nov,2003; Golden Princess Feb 28,2004

E8jxdiZ9faFKEKEk7kLioMO+rbBbKHM20060.jpg

It can be difficult to get a true understanding of an experience because of 2 things:

1. you have eyewitness accounts describing what happened to them personally.

This is because the experience relates to how they personally felt about a situation. Some aren't comfortable standing amid sea creatures, others love the unique opportunity to do so. Kind of like asking someone if they like rollercoasters or 'thrill rides' - not all people do. If someone liked or disliked something, even based on their personal 'experience', does not necessarily mean that you will like/dislike it.

2. when the experience is not 'cut and dry' to begin with. This excursion cannot be summed up this way every time:

Boat takes you out to sand bar of uniform depth. Always calm water. Never a crowd.

It's more like:

You arrange a tour with one of several boats that go out to Sting Ray City. If done through RCI, you'll probably have more people on your boat than a smaller local tour operator. As this is a popular excursion, there are many boats out there. The boat takes you out to sandbar. Sandbar water level 'generally' is about up to your chest if you are 'about' 5'5.

This level will differ depending where on the sandbar your boat finds a place to stop. Waters generally are calm, but a windy day can cause choppy seas.

My personal 'observation' was that although there were several boats, it did not appear crowded - I'll post a pic. Our tour operator kept an eye on us and if we got too far from the boat he waved us back.

However, we had a morning tour - perhaps afternoon tours brought many more people..I can't say.

I think people here who loved the excursion simply don't want anyone considering the excursion to not go based only on this posting alone. Do your research. Check the Ports of Call forum along with other websites. Go with your gut feeling. That way you can truly say you made the best choice for YOU.

Sovereign of the Seas-June 2002

Voyager of the Seas-April 2003-Read My Review Here http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=408097554&m=6323075917

Mariner of the Seas-May 30, 2004!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;05;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Til we cruise on Mariner--woo hoo!

Cruzaholic- I agree with you completely. I am the original poster for this thread and I simply wanted to find out if I was the only crybaby. Obviously, I am not. I do not in any way want to scare someone off from experiencing this event. I do not regret doing this but I would never do it again. If you are one of those souls that can walk through an aquarium with the attitude that it is beautiful and exciting then please take advantage of the opportunity to enjoy this experience. However, if you are one of those souls that walk out of an aquarium with the shakes because those 'things" gave you the willies, then be forewarned and choose another excursion opportunity.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;04;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

'Til my next cruise

I've done it before, got some awesome pictures, and can't wait to do it again in December when we go back on the Enchantment. I think I have my wife and step daughter convinced (for the moment) to do it to. My brother in law, however, did have an interesting comment about the whole thing: "You don't see the stingrays trying to come up on the beach and sit in the chaise lounge next to me, so why should I go swimming with them?"

Until we "get out there"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;6;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

The stingrays in the Caymans are the most wonderful creatures!

When our guide held one up and we looked into it's eyes,you could tell they were very docile and gentle.

Sort of like big water cats!

If you're scared of things in the water or animals in general,then yes,this might not be for you.

Everyone was screaming and hollering at first but that subsided for the most part with time.

I have perhaps the best cruise photo I have ever taken of my wife in waist high crystal-clear pool water with rays all around her and her arms high in the sky with a very disturbed look on her face!

PRICELESS!!! icon_cool.gif

This is a "do-not-miss,-once-in-a-lifetime" excursion...

"a bad day at sea is better than a great day at work and a lousy day at sea is still pretty damn good!"

NO! We absolutely loved the Stingrays! They're the best hockey team in Charleston, SC and the East Coast Hockey League! HA!

Just kidding. We did love swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman. In fact, we're planning to do it again in October.

Bill

10/10 "Rhapsody of the Seas" Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;10;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

jordanaire; We are on the 10/10 cruise and we have booked with soto cruises.

<font face=arial size=3>Fantasy ~ 10/01</font>

<font face=arial size=3>S/S Norway ~ 04/02</font>

<font face=arial size=3>Jubilee ~ 11/02</font>

<font face=arial size=3>Ecstasy ~ 04/03</font>

<font face=arial size=3>Norwegian Sky ~ 09/03</font>

<font face=arial size=3>Splendour of the Seas ~ 04/04</font>

<font face=arial size=3>Total sea days 30</font>

<font face=arial size=3>Countdown to the Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;10;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600 </font>

<font face=arial size=3>Countdown to the Elation

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;4;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600 </font>

<A HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/funshiplover" TARGET=_blank>Cruise Pics except Splendour

</A>

Ok, anything with "STING" in its name is not for me!! No matter how great and beautiful those creatures are...

I am also not one to go places that suggest "bug repellent" in their tour information. Did anyone see that expedia commercial where the woman is looking for exotic places to stay and comes across the "mosquitio nets in every room" comment and then goes off in her head what that means?

If you have seen that commercial, then you know what I am talking about...that is exactly the kind of extreme my head takes me.

Chris and Jim

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;2;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 till the sun and fun on Adventure!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;11;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Till the sun and fun on Jewel of the Seas!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;7;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Till our 4th of July cruise to nowhere on QM2!!!

nomad498- I crack up every time I see that commercial because that is the exact reason why I have never stayed at one of those places where they advertise the mosquito netting. I do not believe in punishing myself to have fun. I have taken tours that suggest repellant and I've been surprised to find that I really didn't need it. They didn't warn me ahead of time about the sting rays but I had a pretty good idea since the goldfish freak me out.

'Til my next cruise

• 8 years later...

One important point to keep in mind, however, is that these sting rays are 'different' that those in other areas. While it's true they are free ranging at Sting Ray City (there is nothing to keep them there) they have been conditioned over the years of human contact so to speak. They originally started gathering there because fisherman threw their scraps there on the way back in. They grew accustomed to a free meal. Then, as it was made a touristy thing, they became used to human presence in the water, and equate it with food - bits of squid, etc. They brought their offspring there, enforcing the 'normalcy' of human presence. You could almost call them tame - you can actually hold them if you like. The tour guides give you bits of food and tell you how to offer it - by holding it under the stingray (where its mouth is) so that it can suck the food up like a vacuum hose. The only caution the guide gives is to not step on them (water at the sandbar is only about 4 feet high). Pretty easy advice to follow.

I second CRUZ-AHOLIC's take on the matter. I, too, had a blast at the sandbar got to swim with and hold the soft little beggars--they feel like wet velvet. While not exactly "tame" I have equated the Stingray City 'rays with a bunch of neighborhood cats that come to the same place for friendly people to feed them. And, like cats, they will brush up against you as they swim by. But, since they are not actually domesticated, be sure to treat them with respect and gentleness. It's their home turf, be a considerate guest. Therefore, if you think you can get into the water, just exercise a fair amount of caution while you get acquainted.

You might want to check out the Ports of Call/Caribbean/Cayman Islands threads, searching for "Stingray"--they will give more of the same advice on how to maximize your activities with the 'rays.

To those who cannot bring themselves to hop into the water, I can sympathize a bit. I wouldn't recommend anyone act in a way they personally consider a risk. It's your vacation, enjoy it as you will--stay on the boat and have a Mojito or a Belikan beer or two while the rest are frolicking with the rays!

I second CRUZ-AHOLIC's take on the matter. I, too, had a blast at the sandbar got to swim with and hold the soft little beggars--they feel like wet velvet. While not exactly "tame" I have equated the Stingray City 'rays with a bunch of neighborhood cats that come to the same place for friendly people to feed them. And, like cats, they will brush up against you as they swim by. But, since they are not actually domesticated, be sure to treat them with respect and gentleness. It's their home turf, be a considerate guest. Therefore, if you think you can get into the water, just exercise a fair amount of caution while you get acquainted.

You might want to check out the Ports of Call/Caribbean/Cayman Islands threads, searching for "Stingray"--they will give more of the same advice on how to maximize your activities with the 'rays.

To those who cannot bring themselves to hop into the water, I can sympathize a bit. I wouldn't recommend anyone act in a way they personally consider a risk. It's your vacation, enjoy it as you will--stay on the boat and have a Mojito or a Belikan beer or two while the rest are frolicking with the rays!

You do realize that you are replying to a thread that is almost 10 years old don't you.

I think that bringing back a thread that is nine years old is a new record.

Congratulations, capncarp.

Especially when the purpose does NOT seem to be to ask a question or get real information about a topic.

But, what the heck: My friend abhors the stingrays and won't get into the water with them either.

My son is not too thrilled, but did it once - I have the photographs to prove it.

:)

I love 'em.

:D

I am constantly reading posts where cruisers tell how much they "loved" the sting rays. I'm really glad they did but I must say I hated them. I know, strong word. No, I don't wish they would all evaporate and die but I did get totally creeped out by them and I refuse to get in the water. Am I a loner or are there other closet sting ray haters out there?

( If you were considering a Sting Ray excursion please DO NOT let my opinion change your mind as I am sure that you will be one of those that will absolutely love it.)

'Til my next cruise

i didn't hate them, but i didn't see what everyone else was getting so excited about! and i would never do it again....

now a cute dolphin - that i can get excited over and spend hours watching ....but a stingray?

Archived