Does Anyone Else Hate the Sting Rays ?

DFritz

I think that bringing back a thread that is nine years old is a new record.

Congratulations, capncarp.

Especially when the purpose does NOT seem to be to ask a question or get real information about a topic.

But, what the heck: My friend abhors the stingrays and won't get into the water with them either.

My son is not too thrilled, but did it once - I have the photographs to prove it.

:)

I love 'em.

:D

oops - i didn't even notice how old the thread is!!! :eek:

well, you can kind of understand the person who brought it back...

people get flamed for asking questions that have already been answered...("gee, why didn't you search - there are a billion threads on the same topic")

so i can understand their hesitation to post a new thread...

anyway, i don't like stingrays and wouldn't waste my precious port time on them! :)

I am constantly reading posts where cruisers tell how much they "loved" the sting rays. I'm really glad they did but I must say I hated them. I know, strong word. No, I don't wish they would all evaporate and die but I did get totally creeped out by them and I refuse to get in the water. Am I a loner or are there other closet sting ray haters out there?

( If you were considering a Sting Ray excursion please DO NOT let my opinion change your mind as I am sure that you will be one of those that will absolutely love it.)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;04;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

'Til my next cruise

Can't say I'm a hater but I could not make myself get in the water with them....DH went in with both kids clinging to him. Needless to say we we are not doing the Sting Ray swim when we go to Grand Cayman again this summer. Been there, done that and once is enough.

Steve Irwin was interacting with a large wild Great Barrier Reef stingray that probably had never seen a human before. Think the 'ray equivalent of a medium-sized mountain lion. ("Danger, danger!").

Stingray City 'rays are somewhere between an oceanic petting zoo and an aquatic wilderness preserve. Worthy of caution, but not as dangerous as wild uninitiated beasts with no previous interaction or experience of man.

This topic is polarizing: most contributors are either "ICK! I'd never do that (again)!" or "Wow! That was fantastic! Let's go back again!", with a few in the middle on the "that was ok/meh/probably not" platform. I fall into the second group: DW and I had a great experience and would encourage those who are curious to give it a try. Someone mentioned the 'rays' eyes--they do look back at you and they seem to have a bit of intelligence behind them. BTW, stingrays are semi-distant cousins of sharks, and share a cartilaginous skeletal structure. So those who have swum with sharks are halfway there.

Having done the Stingray City adventure a few years ago I am happy that I did so....there certainly nothing to be afraid of. Now, do I need to go back any time soon....probably not, there are just to many other things to do and see.

............Am I a loner or are there other closet sting ray haters out there?....

I guess since there is no way that I will want to book an excursion to see, play with, speak to or kiss a string ray I guess you can say I feel the same way you do.

This is over 10 yrs ago, but way back when as a kid I remember going to an amusement park that had a stringray petting/feeding tank. I think it may have been Sea World in Orlando but its been so long ago. I remember my mother making a big thing about buying the squid so I could feed them. (It was just a shallow tank, you dipped your hand it flat and they swam over to get the squid.)

Took her forever to get me to do it, and I think I did it all of once. I think they are really neat creatures, but I don't think I would want to do this kind of thing.

Like you, they just kind of creep me out. I can definetely see the draw though!

Archived