Baggage weight...50 lbs ?

uneamie

I never actually took notice or was concerned about the weight of any of my bags. However, I just took a look at the "baggage limits" and saw that there is a 50 lbs limit for any bag.

Seems my "extra large" piece of luggage has to be more than 50 lbs. Do they really weight them? If so, what happens if your bag is over weight?

I never actually took notice or was concerned about the weight of any of my bags. However, I just took a look at the "baggage limits" and saw that there is a 50 lbs limit for any bag.

Seems my "extra large" piece of luggage has to be more than 50 lbs. Do they really weight them? If so, what happens if your bag is over weight?

Our bags usually fall within the 50lb. "guidelines" but sometimes a little more depending on the length of cruise and have yet to have a problem with the CRUISELINES.... now airlines, thats a whole different issue !

Our bags usually fall within the 50lb. "guidelines" but sometimes a little more depending on the length of cruise and have yet to have a problem with the CRUISELINES.... now airlines, thats a whole different issue !

Do you weigh your bags? I don't know that my bathroom scale would even be able to hold any of my large bags to find out what they weight. Glad to hear you've had no problem with the crusieline.

Do you weigh your bags? I don't know that my bathroom scale would even be able to hold any of my large bags to find out what they weight. Glad to hear you've had no problem with the crusieline.

I am a private pilot and have a scale I use for weighing luggage (for weight and balance) that boards my plane.

How much are you stuffing into that suitcase !!!

You may want to consider taking more than one and lightening that load !

Get the skinniest/strongest person in the family to jump on the scale--take the weight down--then have them stand on the scale holding the packed bag. Subtract the latter weight from the former weight and you have a pretty good indication as to the weight of the bag.

Get the skinniest/strongest person in the family to jump on the scale--take the weight down--then have them stand on the scale holding the packed bag. Subtract the latter weight from the former weight and you have a pretty good indication as to the weight of the bag.

Wow...what a great idea. Never thought of doing that. Thanks! :D

I am a private pilot and have a scale I use for weighing luggage (for weight and balance) that boards my plane.

How much are you stuffing into that suitcase !!!

You may want to consider taking more than one and lightening that load !

We probably should divide our load.....just would rather take 2 very large heavy bags then 4 light ones. We like to disembark early and easy by taking our own luggage off and 4 bags plus carry on bags is a chore....but I may think about it after I try weighing them. Thanks for your imput.

We probably should divide our load.....just would rather take 2 very large heavy bags then 4 light ones. We like to disembark early and easy by taking our own luggage off and 4 bags plus carry on bags is a chore....but I may think about it after I try weighing them. Thanks for your imput.

Wow.... my wife and I can pack in one large luggage piece for up to a 10 night cruise ! You either have alot more people travelling than 2 -or- are packing a helluva lot more than we do !

I think the cruise line's weight limitation policy is mainly to have something in writing just in case someone goes way over the limit. I've never seen or heard of anyone's bags being weighed by a cruise line. According to NCL's FAQ, each passenger "is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds." 100 pounds per person is a heckuva lot of stuff IMO.

If you're interested in an inexpensive ($9.95), small scale for weighing your bags, check out:

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=1797&fromNewSearch=true&mercadoResultId=1

The topic of weight on the cruiseline comes up from time to time. NOBODY has ever come here saying they had a problem. As mentioned, the airlines are very particular about the 50lb rule.

As to weighing them. Easy. We always do it with the bathroom scale. Same way we weigh stuff for shipping. Stand on the scale with and without the suitcase or package. Subtract the difference. Easy-weasy. (or something like that)

While I don't think one or two pounds over is a problem, please don't go much over the limit. Handling baggage over 50lbs is a risk for the baggage handlers. At the very least, you should put ''HEAVY" tags on all side of the suitcase if it's much over the limit. The workers are used to a certain weight per bag and doing their "movement" on a very heavy bag could lead to injuries.

Not sure where the wife purchased it but, she found a scale that has a ring for your hand and a hook on the other end seperted by the scale itself. Just hook it to your luggage handel and pick it up. Comes in very handy on your return trip to double check and maybe re-pack your luggage in case you bought to much "Stuff". Tolerance is +/- 2 lbs.

That's how I weigh my cats! ;)

As said by a few here, the airlines yes 50lbs limit , but with most ports the bags are not handled by cruise lines going from the curb to the ship,those guys work for the port, it's when you get off the ship the little cruise line guys have to lift all the bags. I have never seen anyone weighing bags at check-in for a cruise.

As said by a few here, the airlines yes 50lbs limit , but with most ports the bags are not handled by cruise lines going from the curb to the ship,those guys work for the port, it's when you get off the ship the little cruise line guys have to lift all the bags. I have never seen anyone weighing bags at check-in for a cruise.

We take our own bags off...they are on wheels and are very easy to handle.

Wow.... my wife and I can pack in one large luggage piece for up to a 10 night cruise ! You either have alot more people travelling than 2 -or- are packing a helluva lot more than we do !

There's no way I can pack "both" our clothes in one large bag for a 10 day cruise. However...it's no biggy. Our bags are probably not over the weight limit .....just wanted to know what's what if they were.

I noticed the limit too, and assumed it was to protect the handlers.

Interesting that they dont weigh it, nor is there any further information about what happens if it is over the amount. (fees? bags refused?)

Is this limit recent? just curious... Its my first NCL cruise, and on RCI last year there was no limit. Good thing, because if we hadnt been flying into Miami, I might have packed a steamer trunk for formal clothes :o We really look forward to packing less with FREESTYLE!

(Leaving for LA TOMORROW!!!) :D

Is this limit recent? just curious... Its my first NCL cruise, and on RCI last year there was no limit.

I think NCL imposed the current limit a year or two ago. I seem to recall that it used to be 200 lbs. per passenger. RCI does have a policy but they leave room for interpretation: "Each guest is permitted to carry a reasonable amount of personal property (including luggage) aboard the vessel; however, for your comfort and convenience, it is recommended that you limit the number of pieces you take." This allows RCI to decide, at their own discretion, what is reasonable and what is not.

I think NCL imposed the current limit a year or two ago. I seem to recall that it used to be 200 lbs. per passenger. RCI does have a policy but they leave room for interpretation: "Each guest is permitted to carry a reasonable amount of personal property (including luggage) aboard the vessel; however, for your comfort and convenience, it is recommended that you limit the number of pieces you take." This allows RCI to decide, at their own discretion, what is reasonable and what is not.

NCL introduced the new "limit" earlier in 2009, at about the same time they introduced the new "Welcome Aboard" booklet. I have the two linked in my mind because for some time NCL's Web site still listed the old limit, but the new book had the 50lb. limit and as a result a number of questions were asked here about the inconsistency.

There has not been a single report of NCL making any attempt to enforce the "limit".

Archived