SNOW! in the Northeast Tomorrow! BLIZZARD!

MrPete

[quote name='BigDoug'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Green]I feel sorry for those cruisers leaving on the Pride out of Baltimore on Sunday. The forecast is for 12+ inches so far. Getting into Baltimore on Saturday and Sunday morning will be a nightmare.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Green]Those returning on the Pride will also have fun. They will be headed towards Cape Hatteras as the storm is intensifying. When they get off, some will have to dig out their vehicles from a foot or more of snow.:eek:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

ok you seriously just made my tummy turn right now. I don't get on the pride until next sunday but I have pretty much had no sleep worrying about not getting there because of snow. I have only been on two cruises and both were out of long beach only a couple hour drive. We are leaving cali the day after christmas, the day before the cruise and it is making me sick to think of delays and not making it:eek:

[quote name='BigDoug'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Green]I feel sorry for those cruisers leaving on the Pride out of Baltimore on Sunday. The forecast is for 12+ inches so far. Getting into Baltimore on Saturday and Sunday morning will be a nightmare.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Green]Those returning on the Pride will also have fun. They will be headed towards Cape Hatteras as the storm is intensifying. When they get off, some will have to dig out their vehicles from a foot or more of snow.:eek:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I have my whole family on it -- a suite and two balcony staterooms...

We are driving from northern VA to Baltimore. But I am wondering how those 2000 folks on it now are going to get off and out of the parking lot before we arrive. I understand they passed up the last port on the current cruise (Freeport). So, maybe the ship will arrive in Baltimore early. For some reason, Carnival is calling all the passengers to tell them they are moving the boarding time a half hour EARLIER.

Actually, it might be nice to cruise on a half full ship :-)

Here in Northern Virginia right outside of Washington, D.C., they are calling for between twelve to TWENTY inches of that white stuff. I love the snow, it is so beautiful . . . unless you have to drive in it.

It's funny . . . I've lived (and driven in snow) in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, PA . . . and Bloomfield Hills, Michigan (right outside of Detroit where you didn't see the ground minus snow from November to March). When I moved to Virginia, I used to laugh at people that couldn't drive if they saw a snowflake on the roads. Now . . . I am one of them . . . :eek:

My sister lives in MD and called to tell me that there was a line of cars to get into the Costco parking lot:eek: Again, just into the parking lot. How's anyone going to find a parking space or cart:confused: Too funny:rolleyes:

My son is supposed to fly into BWI on Sun @ 2:00, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

We're on the Pride leaving Sunday (the 20th)

I'm leaving from Cleveland, OH Saturday morning at 10AM.

So much for a 6 hr drive....

We do have a Ford Escape w/ 4-wheel drive - we're used to the snow up here in Cleveland, but still it sounds like this is going to be bad.

God I hope I make it to the port before the Pride sets sail on Sunday...

[quote name='charlnel']Well, the cruise doesn't leave until Monday, but we're supposed to fly out of Providence, RI at 6:30 Sunday morning. Supposed to meet aunt and uncle in Jacksonville and then go to ship on Monday. Supposed to start snowing Saturday night into Sunday :eek:. I guess we'll see....:rolleyes:[/quote]

Good luck ! That's why us New Englanders NEVER fly in on the day of the cruise in the winter.
Enjoy your cruise !

[quote name='Tbay-eh'] I live in Northwestern Ontario and most of it is a walk in the park. I remember one year the week before our cruise we had snow banks over our heads and minus 35. Not a snow day called or businesses shut down but then this is what the normal winter is like here. [/QUOTE]

Nothing like June in Thunder Bay

[quote name='scchasgal']Well you are in Canada 30 celsius is toasty :D Just kidding[/QUOTE]

We still wear shorts in the 30's. Long pants come out when it dips into the 20's.

We seem to be getting about two feet in Roanoke Va.

This place has no idea what to do with 4 inches never mind a couple of feet. Was outside in one or two inches and traffic was bumper to bumper mid afternoon.

Last time we got two feet we were stuck on our block for four days before they got around to plowing secondary roads.

[quote name='golfadj']We seem to be getting about two feet in Roanoke Va.

This place has no idea what to do with 4 inches never mind a couple of feet. Was outside in one or two inches and traffic was bumper to bumper mid afternoon.

Last time we got two feet we were stuck on our block for four days before they got around to plowing secondary roads.[/quote]

LOL - I knew we were in trouble when I turned on the weather channel at 4pm and saw the "live from Roanoke" broadcast. It took my DH over 2 hours to make it 4 miles home due to all the backups. No one here has a clue - they think if they have an SUV they can drive like a moron in this stuff. The next thing you know they are in a ditch and blocking the road with wrecks.

Every forecast the storm total gets higher - will see what we end up with. So far we are at 7" on the back deck in the Cave Spring area and still coming down hard.

[quote name='Earthworm Jim']Blizzard? Where'd you see that? There are all sorts of warnings of heavy snowfall of a foot or more, but I haven't seen anything about any blizzard being associated with this storm. The National Weather Service doesn't seem to have any blizzard watches out.[/quote]

I heard someone on cable news say that "blizzard" conditions could be in store for some areas more northerly.

Of course, he wasn't a weather person, he didn't elaborate and didn't say where he got his information.

Sort of like rumors that start on CC and other forums I guess.

I'm in the Philly/South Jersey area..they are predicting 6-12" but nothing about "blizzard".....

[quote name='letsgocruz1']We're expecting 4" here in my area of KY..and that's plenty! I abhor winter! Stay safe and warm everyone.

G'Ma I'm with you..I'll watch it snow while I sit inside w/ a good drink :)[/quote]

For sure.

Hasn't started anything here yet at 9pm...Some are predicting it will start about midnight-1-ish.

The snow equipment is out in force, however, brining the streets and all the trucks are fully prepped and ready to go. They do a darned good job around the area cleaning the streets....

We (wife and I, kids and my parents) are on the Pride leaving Baltimore on Sunday and were originally planning on driving down from NJ on Sunday AM.
Now were executing option 2 - driving down tomorrow AM (Saturday) and stay in one of hotels by the stadium. At least then we'll be a couple of miles to the ship!
One downfall is a rapid packing evening - thought we'd have all day tomorrow - wish us luck...

[quote name='cbressler76']How nice!! It's almost Christmas & the snow has arrived for all of you!! I have only seen snow twice....It was soooo cool... :) I'm jealous of you all!![/quote]

My grown daughter (who is way old enough to know better) is ecstatic with joy!!!! She loves the snow and is a true Christmas child...the whole idea of having snow for the holidays has her walking on air. And, she told me she's so happy it's on a weekend so she doesn't have to work. She can go out and about - walking......

When she was growing up, she would volunteer to shovel the driveway and sidewalks...(foolish child...I exploited her terribly, too)....

I think shes a mutant....

[quote name='LemurCat']Shhhh, Pete. You're activating my native Philadelphian instinct to go stock up on gallons of milk and loaves of bread. Time to hunker down and watch the SEPTA bus try to get up the hill on City Line Avenue in front of Channel 6's studio.[/quote]
Oh, you're bringing back memories for me. I went to college at St. Joe's, farther down City Line. I looked at the Channel 6 and the Inquirer's websites tonight (my mom and sisters are in South Jersey) and they're in full panic mode. I'm glad my son, who's in school on Long Island, was able to come home today.

Positive thoughts for those of you sailing on Pride this weekend!

[quote name='SteveHolly']We (wife and I, kids and my parents) are on the Pride leaving Baltimore on Sunday and were originally planning on driving down from NJ on Sunday AM.
Now were executing option 2 - driving down tomorrow AM (Saturday) and stay in one of hotels by the stadium. At least then we'll be a couple of miles to the ship!
One downfall is a rapid packing evening - thought we'd have all day tomorrow - wish us luck...[/quote]Good luck Steve, it is probably a good idea to get as close to the ship as soon as possible. NOAA is still upping the totals and now say 16-28 inches in my area which is about 20 miles due south of where the Pride ports. Knowing this area, even though the snow may be over Sunday morning, that in no way will mean roads will be passable around here. But you can almost be assured that Pride will be in port Sunday morning. Sounds like an Adventure in the making... Bon Voyage!

We get 10 flakes of snow in AL, and the whole state shuts down! In Denver (where I'm from), not much shuts down until about three feet of snow and blowing wind! I was a teacher, and used to go to bed praying, "Please let there be a Snow Day!" Got four Snow Days in 25 years of teaching! We used to drive from Denver to Rapid City, SD, for Holidays in raging blizzards (well, just a lot of snow and wind) and thought nothing of it. No front-wheel drive, either. Old Plymouth Valiant, and old Mercury station wagon. Can't believe I was so stupid, but that's what we did back then. We might get two flakes of snow tonight! Heat is set at 65 (same as A/C), so I'm good. Enough food for me and pets, and ample kitty litter. Would LOVE to see a few flakes down here! I do miss my snow!

[quote name='SteveHolly']We (wife and I, kids and my parents) are on the Pride leaving Baltimore on Sunday and were originally planning on driving down from NJ on Sunday AM.
One downfall is a rapid packing evening - thought we'd have all day tomorrow - wish us luck...[/QUOTE]

Better safe then sorry.

Archived