No NYC to Bermuda cruises in October 2010? WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO???

CruisinFromCT

The Dawn and Spirit switch to Canada and New England itineraries in September and October before they reposition southward for the winter months. The Spirit stayed up here later the 2009 season and did some Bermuda runs after the Canada - New England runs but not this upcoming season either. Maybe they felt if they shortened it they could get the capacity up for the other sailings and therefore get a higher price per cabin? Just a random thought.

Enjoy the Bahamas cruise... I'll be on it in mere weeks myself! :)

We are really disappointed too that the Dawn is not sailing to Bermuda next October. It is our favorite month for Bermuda and we were scheduled for this past October but had to cancel. We have booked HAL's Veendam and a bit nervous about trying a new line as we thoroughly enjoyed the Dawn to Bermuda in October of 2008. I did notice this past October that prices went way low for the Dawn as I assume they were having trouble filling the ship, thus the decision to end the Bermuda season in September.

We are really disappointed too that the Dawn is not sailing to Bermuda next October. It is our favorite month for Bermuda and we were scheduled for this past October but had to cancel. We have booked HAL's Veendam and a bit nervous about trying a new line as we thoroughly enjoyed the Dawn to Bermuda in October of 2008. I did notice this past October that prices went way low for the Dawn as I assume they were having trouble filling the ship, thus the decision to end the Bermuda season in September.

We were also disappointed that our favorite ship, the Dawn, was not going to Bermuda in October 2010. We had gone to Bermuda on the Dawn the last few years in October and the ship was always full. I don't think you will have any problems with the Veendam although I did find their balcony cabins much more expensive than the Dawn. Hopefully, NCL will reconsider and send the Dawn back to Bermuda in October 2011.

We were also disappointed that our favorite ship, the Dawn, was not going to Bermuda in October 2010. We had gone to Bermuda on the Dawn the last few years in October and the ship was always full. I don't think you will have any problems with the Veendam although I did find their balcony cabins much more expensive than the Dawn. Hopefully, NCL will reconsider and send the Dawn back to Bermuda in October 2011.

Note, there's an ongoing thread in the HAL board, regarding the Veendam needed to anchor outside St.George, requiring a ferry tender to shore. It's turning a lot of people off.

As of April NCL's Jewel is going to cruise out of NYC year round. After a series of NE/Canada cruises in September she is going back to her FLA/Bahama schedule. Why not alternate every other week in October with a Bermuda then Fla/Bahama itineraries ? Even adds a nice B2B option. Also slightly off the topic in the Winter of 2011 both the Gem and Jewel will be sailing out of NY with the same exact itinerary. Why not have one sail the 7 day Fla/Bahama run and the other add more 10 night sailings to the Carribean ? If you look at this years sailings all dates are sold out or very close to sold out. Obviously these are very popular cuises.

Don't be nervous: HAL is our second favorite line after NCL> They are very different but HAL has a lot to offer. The biggest negative is the lack of fun activities and the overall age of the cruisers. We are not spring chickens and still find many who are MUCH older than us. The positive: great food and service plus really nice, large cabins.

Nita

As of April NCL's Jewel is going to cruise out of NYC year round. After a series of NE/Canada cruises in September she is going back to her FLA/Bahama schedule. Why not alternate every other week in October with a Bermuda then Fla/Bahama itineraries ? Even adds a nice B2B option. Also slightly off the topic in the Winter of 2011 both the Gem and Jewel will be sailing out of NY with the same exact itinerary. Why not have one sail the 7 day Fla/Bahama run and the other add more 10 night sailings to the Carribean ? If you look at this years sailings all dates are sold out or very close to sold out. Obviously these are very popular cuises.

NCL brought back all year round cruising to New York. Due to its success, they added a second ship, but on a different itinerary, in this case the Spirit. They were so successful, that soon, Cunard, HAL, Princess, and RCCL tried it. There wasn't THAT much of a market, so now, it is only the Norwegian Gem and the Explorer of the Seas that sail all winter from New York.

NCL brought back all year round cruising to New York. Due to its success, they added a second ship, but on a different itinerary, in this case the Spirit. They were so successful, that soon, Cunard, HAL, Princess, and RCCL tried it. There wasn't THAT much of a market, so now, it is only the Norwegian Gem and the Explorer of the Seas that sail all winter from New York.

If you take a look at 2011 itineraries you will see that both the Gem AND Jewel will be sailing throughout the winter from NY (Identical itineraries).. You should research your facts before making such statements. Based on the fact that all Carribean sailings are pretty much sold out, perhaps there is a market for additional Eastern Carribean sailings. NCL does not need to have two ships make the FLA/Bahama run.

If you take a look at 2011 itineraries you will see that both the Gem AND Jewel will be sailing throughout the winter from NY (Identical itineraries).. You should research your facts before making such statements. Based on the fact that all Carribean sailings are pretty much sold out, perhaps there is a market for additional Eastern Carribean sailings. NCL does not need to have two ships make the FLA/Bahama run.

Can't understand why NCL would have both Gem & Jewel doing identical Caribbean itineraries in winter 2011? Why couldn't one do Eastern Caribbean and the other Western or Southern? Finally, many of us have already done this duplicate itinerary already, time for a change. Instead of providing something new, we get two ships both doing the same old?

Actually the tri state market is very healthy and NCL often cites the success of NY cruising on their financial results conference calls with investors. The market is apparently quite strong, hence the decision to bring the Jewel here, too, for winter cruising.

Ditto Dolphins. Why have 2 ships with the exact same itinerary with the only difference being they leave a day apart? Offering 2 good distinct itineraries would have been so much better.

Hope NCL reconsiders as they plan future itins, but unfortunately 2011 is apparently set in stone.

For a Southern or Western Caribbean cruise out of New York, the itineraries will have to be much more than one week long. Doing more than a week eliminates many potential passengers who don't have more than a week's vacation at a time. As it is just about every two week cruise is usually a reposition cruise. Simply put there isn't enough revenue overall. These cruises may be more expensive than a one week cruise, but not as expensive as two one week cruises.

I was only referring to what is happening this year, I wasn't looking at 2011.

But I agree, it does not make sense for two ships on the same line to sail identical itineraries. When the Spirit and the Dawn sailed from NY, one did a short Florida/Bahamas cruise and the other did a longer Caribbean cruise. I'm surprised to hear that won't be the case in 2011.

For a Southern or Western Caribbean cruise out of New York, the itineraries will have to be much more than one week long. Doing more than a week eliminates many potential passengers who don't have more than a week's vacation at a time. As it is just about every two week cruise is usually a reposition cruise. Simply put there isn't enough revenue overall. These cruises may be more expensive than a one week cruise, but not as expensive as two one week cruises.

The identical Caribbean cruises that Gem and Jewel are doing in early 2011 are 10 day cruises.

I didn't do the research for 2010 but did you look to see if there is a trip out of Philly to Bermuda? We thought about doing that & it was actually cheaper than sailing from NYC.

There are no cruises to anywhere on any cruise line from Philadelphia in 2010. NCL sold the Norwegian Majesty, which was the only ship cruising from Philadelphia in 2009.

There are no cruises to anywhere on any cruise line from Philadelphia in 2010. NCL sold the Norwegian Majesty, which was the only ship cruising from Philadelphia in 2009.

I miss NCL and Majesty already. Hopefully some cruise line will fill the void.

Archived