Carrying food off of ship

mompells

I think you can bring pre-packaged (not by the ship--more like crackers and things) food off of the ship, but ANY fresh foods are a no-no because of agricultural regulations. They want to reduce the risk of introducing any foreign flora or fauna into the ecosystem, and one way to help with that is prohibit the practice of bringing food from the ship's environment into port, particularly (but not limited to) fruit.

If I'm wrong, I'll happily be corrected, but there was a detailed thread about this, I believe in the "First Time Cruisers" section here.

When we leave the ship to go on our excursions, can we bring any food with us in our beach bag? If so, what will we get away with bringing? What SHOULDN'T we bring off of the ship?

You can bring sealed foods (crackers, nuts, cookies), drinks, breads. You cannot bring fruits, meats, or vegetables. Many excursions include food- do check yours.

Within the Continental USA, I would say yes.

Not necesarily. If you go from east coast to west coast(California) their agricultural laws prohibit vegetables, fruits, and meats to be taken ashore.

First cruise that we took we had a stop in Jamaica and i was eating an apple, I wasn't aware that we weren't allowed to take fruits onto the islands and I got all the way to the end of the pier when this female guard was like no food you've got to turn around to the ship and throw it out :eek: if you have ever been to Jamaica it is a Looong pier, as tempted as I was to feed the fish I walked all the way back and threw it out. Would have been nice for the rcl staff to let me know.

Prepackaged (cereal, granola bars, etc) no problem. Non-packaged stuff not so much. Most ports aren't going to check your bag, but some might and can fine you on the spot. Almost every country takes this seriously, even the US, which is why most airports in the US incinerate waste from foreign-originating flights as opposed to putting it in a landfill.

As said, you are not supposed to. However, on our recent Xmas cruise we saw loads of people in the WJ in the morning making up cheese and ham rolls etc, wrapping them in napkins and loading them into their beach bags. One family every morning gave all the children a ziplock bag with instructions to load it up with cookies/cakes for the day. If you want to take stuff off, you will almost certianly be able to (as no one checks bags for what is taken off the ship), but if you get stopped or caught (which personally I have never seen) you could be in a whole heap of trouble.

Simon

As said, you are not supposed to. However, on our recent Xmas cruise we saw loads of people in the WJ in the morning making up cheese and ham rolls etc, wrapping them in napkins and loading them into their beach bags. One family every morning gave all the children a ziplock bag with instructions to load it up with cookies/cakes for the day. If you want to take stuff off, you will almost certianly be able to (as no one checks bags for what is taken off the ship), but if you get stopped or caught (which personally I have never seen) you could be in a whole heap of trouble.

Simon

Oh great. It figures that some people would disregard laws that are in place for good reasons. (Not you sddsddean, you're just the messenger.) It's far more than just being in trouble and likely getting fined, it's also that it shows extreme disrespect and selfishness to knowingly break the law and risk the agricultural (and financial) health of places we visit.

And you would be absolutely wrong. We have agricultural laws and quarantines that vary by state and even by county/region within states. It is not fine to bring fresh food off the ships within the continental United States; it is not fine to bring fresh food into some states and regions regardless of whether you're arriving there by ship, plane, train, or automobile.

(Yes, I get a little ranty on the subject, but that's only because it's affected me for most of my life.)

beachchick

Within the Continental USA, I would say NO. California is one state, where you can not bring food in. You will be stopped at the boarders - even driving in - to make sure that certain fruits/vegetables are not part of your cargo.

Within the Continental USA, I would say NO. California is one state, where you can not bring food in. You will be stopped at the boarders - even driving in - to make sure that certain fruits/vegetables are not part of your cargo.

Having said that sleepless, I have never seen in 15+ cruises, anyone be searched (either on a port day or disembark day) for food etc. The only place I've seen it is at Sydney airport, where after collecting your bags everything goes through an X ray before entry to Australia. They stop everything...even packets of cookies and crisps (thats chips to you!).

Simon

First cruise that we took we had a stop in Jamaica and i was eating an apple, I wasn't aware that we weren't allowed to take fruits onto the islands and I got all the way to the end of the pier when this female guard was like no food you've got to turn around to the ship and throw it out :eek: if you have ever been to Jamaica it is a Looong pier, as tempted as I was to feed the fish I walked all the way back and threw it out. Would have been nice for the rcl staff to let me know.

Or at least have a trash can at the end of the pier.

On the Mariner you aren't even supposed to have food on any outside decks before leaving the port of LA. They will stop you before taking anything to the pool deck. With it being this strict on the ship I would say they wouldn't want you taking it off the ship either. This has something to do with fruit flies but don't remember what.

Having said that sleepless, I have never seen in 15+ cruises, anyone be searched (either on a port day or disembark day) for food etc. The only place I've seen it is at Sydney airport, where after collecting your bags everything goes through an X ray before entry to Australia. They stop everything...even packets of cookies and crisps (thats chips to you!).

Simon

Not sure what the meaning of "stop" is. You can take crisps (chips) and cookies etc into Australia provided you declare it... A quarantine officer will let you know what is ok and what is not.

You can't however take fresh fruits, vegetables, meats and dairy products..

Those who do risk a mega fine...

Dump it or declare it...

:D:D:D

It would be nice if cruise lines would print a friendly reminder that most countries prohibit most food items bring taken off the ship.That said we only bring an occasional Kashi bar with us as we like to try the local snacks and drinking a local beverage is a must

:cj

Archived