Live on the Quest

Foggyzx9r

Hi All,

Embarked today on the SE Asia cruise Singapore to Hong Kong. Might be a few typos as 1: Just finished a bottle of wine @: still jet lagged.

See what I mean!

For mpboynton, we went with some friends who live in Singapore to the Night Safari from the Conrad we took a taxi $30.00 Sin due to time of day as there is a tax from 5:30 to 8pm of 35% added to base cost of fare. Call it an enviroment tax. Cost of entry which included tram tour was $32 Sin.

Worth it? Yes I think so. You can get off half way though the tram ride to get up close and personal to some of the animals along the Leopad trail. They have a fair number of animals which you would not normally encounter in western parks.

There are restaurants at the entrance from Indian to standad SE Asian fare. $20 Sin per meal.

Weather is 32deg C and humid, Lord I'm luvin it:D

Captain is Carl Smith just returned from leave

Sue Denning is living up to her reputation of being a fireball in action.

So far every positive comment written here about Azamara is prooving correct.

Not about to give a blow by blow daily account but if anybody has a question, I am more than happy to ask the crew on your behalf.

We leave tomorrow for Bangkok.

Cheers all.

Hi All,

Not about to give a blow by blow daily account but if anybody has a question, I am more than happy to ask the crew on your behalf.

We are on the next sailing - Hong Kong to Singapore - so a blow by blow account would be most appreciated!!!

Foggyzx9r,

Thanks so much for the update. I was hoping to hear from you today. Glad to hear we will have Sue Denning. Lots of good posts about her. Since both of our itineraries are leaving Singapore 3 hours earlier, I would be interested to know what time you arrive in Bangkok.

Hi Foggyzx !

Thank you for the update. Everything I've read about Carl Smith and Sue Denning have been outstanding. I hope to have the opportunity to sail with them someday. I hope you have a wonderful Cruise on Azamara Quest. Bon Voyage !

Foggyzx9r,

Thanks so much for the update. I was hoping to hear from you today. Glad to hear we will have Sue Denning. Lots of good posts about her. Since both of our itineraries are leaving Singapore 3 hours earlier, I would be interested to know what time you arrive in Bangkok.

Hi Mike !

I know your Cruise is coming up soon, and I hope you will send us occasional updates from your sailing. If not.... no worries. I am sure you will update us when you return home. Bon Voyage !

Hi Foggyzx !

Did you have to get Singapore dollars in Singapore or were taxis willing to take US $$$?

My lovely bride wants me to ask you to ask your lovely bride if there is adequate storage in the cabin and in the bathroom. She said I could ask you but being a man, it wouldn't be that big a deal. She's right of course cause I know that stuff doesn't interest me. So if you could ask it would be great.:D

Hi Mike !

I know your Cruise is coming up soon, and I hope you will send us occasional updates from your sailing. If not.... no worries. I am sure you will update us when you return home. Bon Voyage !

Hi Andy,

I will try to post if possible; but I will definitely be doing a full review of the ship and the ports. Since Azamara and Southeast Asia are totally new to us, I am really looking forward to this cruise. Having been on the Tahitian Princess, I know we already love the ship; but am looking forward to the Azamara differences and upgraded food and service. We will be boarding in 4 weeks from today. Can't wait.

K I will follow up on the hotel director and guest relations and get back to you.

Ref Singapore currency:Hotels will take US Dollars but most everywhere would be local currency. Remember you will get a bad exchange with the shops . Taxis are cheap and DW says cheeky!!! Dont get that one unless she has a confession to make:eek: They can take CCards but I am not sure which ones they will accept. I would take some Singapore dollars, we spent about 150 dollars SING that covered for most incidentals such as taxis food out etc but not the wifes diamond earings we got from a wholesaler next to Raffles Hotel:D

From DW Storage: in the cabin there are lots of cubby holes and enough space for us but we do travel fairly light. one average size case each. There are only just enough hangers for what we have brought with us!

The shower cubicle; that also contains a toilet and sink has a small corner cupboard and other shelves but make up etc. is best kept at the dressing table, if you like to spread out you have to reorganise a bit! We have too many books and magazines it looks cluttered already. I am going to have to get back into tidy mode, it is cosy and reminds me of our first home!! :rolleyes:

From Foggy oh hell tidying up:eek:

ATM cant tell what time of arrival will be at Bangkok but we should gain a little as we passed the dateline and gained 1 hour.

There is some great information on the port via the tv as most of the on board talks are filmed then broadcast on your TV. Some really valuable info on getting around avoiding pitfalls with taxi drivers ripping you off etc.

Fellas if you need a suit making up and dont have time in Hong Kong for a made to measure there is a tailors at the Bangkok port terminal that can make you one up overnight. I'll be looking at that and report back.

Officers very visible in the evenings Captain Carl was in Windows tonight eating with passengers.

From DW Storage: in the cabin there are lots of cubby holes and enough space for us but we do travel fairly light. one average size case each. There are only just enough hangers for what we have brought with us!

Thanks Foggy for all the info!

You covered most of it. My friend who was on the cruise before yours said that he felt there were too few hangers as well but he just asked his cabin attendant and all of a sudden he had a bunch more. You might try that.

Jim

Foggy,

Another question came up. When did they schedule your Cruise Critic meet and greet (if they have already)? And please give us a report on it (who, what, when, where, etc.) when it happens.

Jim

Hi All,

Embarked today on the SE Asia cruise Singapore to Hong Kong. Might be a few typos as 1: Just finished a bottle of wine @: still jet lagged.

See what I mean!

For mpboynton, we went with some friends who live in Singapore to the Night Safari from the Conrad we took a taxi $30.00 Sin due to time of day as there is a tax from 5:30 to 8pm of 35% added to base cost of fare. Call it an enviroment tax. Cost of entry which included tram tour was $32 Sin.

Worth it? Yes I think so. You can get off half way though the tram ride to get up close and personal to some of the animals along the Leopad trail. They have a fair number of animals which you would not normally encounter in western parks.

There are restaurants at the entrance from Indian to standad SE Asian fare. $20 Sin per meal.

Weather is 32deg C and humid, Lord I'm luvin it:D

Captain is Carl Smith just returned from leave

Sue Denning is living up to her reputation of being a fireball in action.

So far every positive comment written here about Azamara is prooving correct.

We leave tomorrow for Bangkok.

Cheers all.

Hi,

I hope you are having a great time and thank you so much for offering to provide "live" information from your cruise. We all appreciate it.

I and my DH will be on the same cruise on February 20 and we are wondering whether Azamara offers shuttle service in Bangkok.

Hi,

I hope you are having a great time and thank you so much for offering to provide "live" information from your cruise. We all appreciate it.

I and my DH will be on the same cruise on February 20 and we are wondering whether Azamara offers shuttle service in Bangkok.

Hey there GeorgeL, we have a very active thread for the February 20th sailing. You should come by our roll call. You will find it here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=783813&page=54

Plus we have a website just for our thread that you can see here: http://www.koobraey.com/Quest/

Hope to see you over there and onboard.

Hey there GeorgeL, we have a very active thread for the February 20th sailing. You should come by our roll call. You will find it here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=783813&page=54

Plus we have a website just for our thread that you can see here: http://www.koobraey.com/Quest/

Hope to see you over there and onboard.

Thank you DrKoob. We certainly hope to meet you and the other members of this lively group when we board the ship. We are getting really excited!

Thank you DrKoob. We certainly hope to meet you and the other members of this lively group when we board the ship. We are getting really excited!

Come on by. We won't bite. We promise. And make sure to sign up for the Meet and Mingle. The link is at the top of the thread.

We were on the Quest in June and Sue was the cruise director then as well. I'm thrilled she's still there. She was a lot of fun. And she's got a great singing voice as well.

Is Jim still the entertainer on the piano at night? He was a lot of fun as well.

Enjoy!

Ellen

We were on the Quest in June and Sue was the cruise director then as well. I'm thrilled she's still there. She was a lot of fun. And she's got a great singing voice as well.

Is Jim still the entertainer on the piano at night? He was a lot of fun as well.

Enjoy!

Ellen

Hi Ellen,

We have just returned from Quest and Jim Badger is still entertaining in the Looking Glass. Sue joins him most evenings and they have a great act going. Lots of laughs to be had. :D

GeorgeL - the Thai port authority provides a shuttle to the port gates where you can pick up metered cabs. There are also cabs inside the gates - the shuttle was nowhere to be seen when we went ashore so we picked up one of the 'cabs'from inside. We were lucky and had a great driver who had gone to uni in Melbourne so his English was excellent. it was $20 for 2 hours and he took us wherever we wanted to go and waited for us. The only extra we had to pay was the 40 baht freeway toll, even though we were away for 2.5 hours.

We have both been to BKK several times so didn't really bother doing too much - too laid back after nearly 2 weeks on Quest.:eek:

Those who did the ship's tours thought they were excellent.

Hope this helps - enjoy your cruise

Foggy,

What was the issue in Bangkok yesterday? Someone received a report from a tour operator that that there were issues because Azamara changed both the arrival and departure times in Bangkok. I saw that they had been changed so just wonder if it was a matter of the tour guide not being notified (maybe 2:00pm arrival and departure?) or was there yet another change?

We are on the Hong Kong to Singapore route and with 2 nights we have one full day no matter what time Quest arrives or departs.

In general has Quest been arriving in port at the scheduled times?

Hi Ellen,

We have just returned from Quest and Jim Badger is still entertaining in the Looking Glass. Sue joins him most evenings and they have a great act going. Lots of laughs to be had. :D

GeorgeL - the Thai port authority provides a shuttle to the port gates where you can pick up metered cabs. There are also cabs inside the gates - the shuttle was nowhere to be seen when we went ashore so we picked up one of the 'cabs'from inside. We were lucky and had a great driver who had gone to uni in Melbourne so his English was excellent. it was $20 for 2 hours and he took us wherever we wanted to go and waited for us. The only extra we had to pay was the 40 baht freeway toll, even though we were away for 2.5 hours.

We have both been to BKK several times so didn't really bother doing too much - too laid back after nearly 2 weeks on Quest.:eek:

Those who did the ship's tours thought they were excellent.

Hope this helps - enjoy your cruise

I'm so happy that Jim Badger is still there. We were in the Looking Glass every night. Can't wait to see him again. Thanks for the info.

I think Foggy has deserted us. Of course this is a good thing because it means that he is having so much fun he doesn't have time to post. So that means we should all have that much fun as well.

Either that or he was left behind in Bangkok. I hope it was the former.:D

Archived