Live on the Quest

Foggyzx9r

Foggy,

What was the issue in Bangkok yesterday? Someone received a report from a tour operator that that there were issues because Azamara changed both the arrival and departure times in Bangkok. I saw that they had been changed so just wonder if it was a matter of the tour guide not being notified (maybe 2:00pm arrival and departure?) or was there yet another change?

We are on the Hong Kong to Singapore route and with 2 nights we have one full day no matter what time Quest arrives or departs.

In general has Quest been arriving in port at the scheduled times?

Hi sorry for the delay. Was posting last night and it lost the connection to the server, so no havent deserted you yet;).

The reason for the changes was due to Singapore Cruise Terminal and Star Cruise Lines who own Singapore Cruise terminal. Basically they kicked us off our stand:mad: They had a ship coming in early and told Capt Carl he had to move the Quest. So it wasnt an Azamara desicion.

It meant we were in Bangkok earlier. I also might add that getting to the Klong Toey port was an event itself, the ship was 4km further than last year as a half completed bridge got in the way. We actually stopped the traffic on the bridges as they had a stare at this fabulous cruise ship.

K to answer some questions

Winkler is the Hotel Director

There dosent appear to be a specific Guest Relations Director, tbh it is not needed as everyone of the crew you can approach and they will do thier level best to help out.

Bangkok:

Getting to and from the port to Bangkok center has been discussed, however if your on an independent make sure you have plenty of time to get back to the ship. WE were on an Azamara booked excursion and it took an hour to get back from the Grand Palace, our guide commented that the traffic was quiet:eek: There was one couple who nearly didnt make it with the security gate already closed, fortunately Capn C was on hand to sort it out.

Its very hot and humid atm 34deg C and around 80 to 90 % Humidity. So drink plenty:)

On board activities whilst in Bangkok with a Thai night arranged with a traditional Thai dance group and musicians, plus Ken Director of F&D put on a fabulous range of Thai dishes using fish and shellfish bought fresh that morning. Pool deck was decorated with appropriate oriental decor.

Oh if your looking to buy a suit gents or a silk outfit ladies, there is a tailors in the Port Authority Building right next to where the Quest docks.

I probably could have got cheaper had I spent time looking and I knew prices were now a lot higher in HK so I took a risk and bought from these guys.

I got two cashmere silk/wool mix suits tailored with two cotton shirts from material and colour of my choosing, well the wifes actually, and two silk ties for $500. Measured at 3pm on port arrival and they were ready by 11 am the following day. Fit was perfect but sales guy assured me if it hadnt they would have fixed it then posted toi suits to England and no extra cost. They do have a wide range of suit materials available and ladies they had raw Thai silk on show that could be made up to anything you wanted. Were sending some pics by email to them of some of Heathers dresses to be copied and made from silk.

At sea today on our way to Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City. The guest Speaker we have on board is pretty good with coverage of the history and a second lecture today on food fauna and flora.

BTW Washing machine cycles are about 35 min and yes dryers are free.

K Cruise Critic meet and greet was held on the third day an invitation was left in our state room. 10 am and there to meet us in a line were he Senior Officers including Captain Smith. I think the ship must have been left on Auto Pilot;)

Plenty of Bucks Fizz on offer then a chat from Sue Denning and then from Capn C. The officers then mingled and we had long chats about the cruise navigation the ship etc. Altogether a great morning.

As it was our 25 wedding anniversary the day started with a delivery of champagne courtesy of Azamara, so slightly drunk start to the day then a chill out but finished off in Aqualina, oh boy the food is brilliant, with excellent service. They then bought out an anniversary chocolate cake, totally unprompted by ourselves. I later found out one of the crew had quizzed my wife to find out what type of cake she liked, this is the ype of attention to detail and level of service you can expect!!

Food overall is very good to excellent, we have not experienced a bad meal yet.

Well think that is all for the time being. Now off for a jog and then breakfast, the choice of breafst food makes it an event itself.

Oh BTW the qualty of the coffee from the machines havent improved so bring your own

Will update again after the first day in Ho Chi.

Star Cruise Lines (a gambling ship) seems to have precedence in a number of SE Asian ports. Hmmmm$$$.

Probably because they helped pay to build (or update) these docks, at least they did in Hong Kong. Just as RCCI helped pay for a dock (or to upgrade) in San Juan and so get first docking privileges.

I don't think anyone would need to "bring" quarters for the washers/dryers. Certainly the Purser's Office could exchange US$ bills for this purpose.

Guest Relations will supply quarters for the machines - not a problem. Many guests are not from the US and so don't necessarily have a supply of coins to use in the laundry so GR to the rescue!

We also used Guest relations for some local currency exchange as well on a couple of occasions. The service was very efficient and convenient.

Just wondering the procedure for getting our visas for Vietnam. I had read that all people on Azamara tours get them first, and then the rest of us on private tours. Do they stamp our passports and give them back, or is it a separate visa completely? Do they make us wait to get them until we dock/tender? Thanks, this is great to get all of this information!

Question for FoggyZX9R currently on Quest: Can you tell me if Heike Cramer is back as Hotel Director? If not, is Anton Winkler still there? Many thanks in advance.

He answered this question in post #26. Winkler.

Just wondering the procedure for getting our visas for Vietnam. I had read that all people on Azamara tours get them first, and then the rest of us on private tours. Do they stamp our passports and give them back, or is it a separate visa completely? Do they make us wait to get them until we dock/tender? Thanks, this is great to get all of this information!

Our passports were retained by Az during the check-in process in Hong Kong. Az supplied everyone with a copy of the page in your passport that contained your details. Prior to our arrival in Singapore we collected the passports from the Singapore immigration folk who must have boarded in Bangkok.

The process on our cruise was that the immigration cards for the ports would be delivered to our stateroom, you fill them out, return them to guest relations and they obtain the visas for Cambodia and Vietnam and bill your account.

Prior to our arrival in Singapore, we filled out the immigration card for Singapore but in this case instead of handing it in to guest relations we were asked to hand it to the Singaporean immigration people when we collected our passports

In the case of Vietnam, a Passenger landing Card was delivered to our stateroom and we were told to carry this with us when ashore in Vietnam.

The folk doing the overland trip to Angkor had their passports returned for the trip but as I didn't do this excursion I don't know all the details.

The whole process was absolutely painless and I am unaware of any different treatment for those doing ship's excursions. I think all guests were delivered the immigration cards at the same time as the evening newsletter 'Pursuits'.

I hope this helps.

He answered this question in post #26. Winkler.

Post 26 was from a few days earlier from my posting where I asked my question. I was asking whether Heike had returned as of the date of my posting. She was supposed to be back onboard already. I was wondering if she in fact had returned in the past few days.

So, if anyone is onboard and Heike returns while you are there, perhaps you would be kind enough to post. Thanks.

Our passports were retained by Az during the check-in process in Hong Kong. Az supplied everyone with a copy of the page in your passport that contained your details. Prior to our arrival in Singapore we collected the passports from the Singapore immigration folk who must have boarded in Bangkok.

The process on our cruise was that the immigration cards for the ports would be delivered to our stateroom, you fill them out, return them to guest relations and they obtain the visas for Cambodia and Vietnam and bill your account.

Prior to our arrival in Singapore, we filled out the immigration card for Singapore but in this case instead of handing it in to guest relations we were asked to hand it to the Singaporean immigration people when we collected our passports

In the case of Vietnam, a Passenger landing Card was delivered to our stateroom and we were told to carry this with us when ashore in Vietnam.

The folk doing the overland trip to Angkor had their passports returned for the trip but as I didn't do this excursion I don't know all the details.

The whole process was absolutely painless and I am unaware of any different treatment for those doing ship's excursions. I think all guests were delivered the immigration cards at the same time as the evening newsletter 'Pursuits'.

I hope this helps.

We don't ever leave a ship without our passports so this should be interesting. We are checking in than staying in Hong Kong overnight and also going to Siem Reap.

It was a slight issue for us as the ship had our passports when we stayed overnight in Bangkok during the cruise. We did have our copies with us and the hotel did take those but almost reluctantly.

hi,going on quest august15th can you find out if sue and captain smith will still be there,also is donald food and beveridges manager still on ship, thanks for all the info.:)

I'll ask the question re Sue and Capn Smith.

Nope Donald is off ship, Ken Loab is currently Food and Bev.

Well quick update, I ma having prblems conecting to the message board hence the delays in posting.

Ho Chi Minh City is a blast. Vibrant noisy busy and so exciting, I was willing to give up the rest of the cruise and stay there. The dock area is pretty poor but within easy reach via taxi to downtown. This is a place we will come back too. Oh intresting bit we overheard from a fellow cruiser who went on the Cu Chi trip thet she felt that the movie intro shown at the site was anti American. Hah think she needs to think about that one.

Life on board is settling down with new friends made from a variety of nations. Primarily USA followed by us Brits and a fair number of Aussies na we have a number of Japanese Spanish Cnadian and French among us too. Makes for interesting conversations.

BTW for the gamblers amongst you the machines have paid out $20,500 so far, with probably 30k paid in:rolleyes:

The Vietnamese people have been genuinely welcoming including the street hawkers of course, they are around at every tourist site but no real hassle. TBH any trip you make on the sight seeing side is great value whether ship organised or independent. If you are on a ship organised as we were the guides were fist class.

Just come back from a talk on the sun deck on navigating by the stars from the Staff Captain, Captain Carl was there to lend a helping hand;), it was of real interest mainly beacause of th epresentation.

Food night, Ken laid on an Indian Buffet as many of the Chefs, they have 60 btw, are of Indian extraction, so a fine spread with some genuine dishes form the Indian sub continent.

Beena few moans about Prime C on the standarad of service and food, we are there tomorrow so cant comment yet. Mainly about the steaks being a little tough and service a bit rushed.

Captains Club get together held this afternoon with wines etc provided.

Temps and weather still hoding at the 30 to 33 deg c mark and humidity still very high. So a little draining, but with a cocktail in one hand and an ice cream in another I aint complaining.

Next update after Danang.

Foggy,

Thanks so much for these updates. Not that we need to be more excited; but you are doing it. I am so happy that you have enjoyed HCM so much. And am glad to hear that tourists are appreciated. We have booked Prime C already, so I hope that you can give us a first hand opinion on it.

thanks for all the great info. - and for letting us know how much $ Sing you spent on sundries - that's really useful advice.

Re. Thai and Vietnamese currency - do they take US$ as well in the taxis, small stores and restaurants ? What currency did you pay for your suits in? just trying to work out how much of each currency to bring.

Thanks for all your help - 3 weeks today we will be sailing!!!

Jane:)

Foggy,

I hope you are enjoying your cruise. Do the cabins have an alarm clock in them? We normally take one, but I would sure like to save that extra weight, if possible.

But Mike, you have an iPhone that is one of the best alarm clocks around. It's the only one I ever travel with. It woke me up in my hotel this morning.

Archived