Dolphin balconies

Sauvignon

Which balcony do you prefer?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which balcony do you prefer?

• Prefer covered/partially covered balcony
    • Prefer open balcony
    • Dislike Balcony

We have a Mini on the Grand on Dolphin later this year. However I am intrigued by the difference in opinion about the totally open/uncovered balconies on this deck. Is there more too it than having people perhaps looking at you from above? Is it an issue not to have any shade? is it preferable just being to walk outside into a totally open environment?

We often book Dolphin Deck minis and don't mind the uncovered balcony at all. The only time we wished it was covered was if we get rain. But then, out at sea, with the wind, even with a covered balcony, you are liable to get very wet with the wind. lol

But, since most mini suites have an exposed balcony, it doesn't seem to bother some of us at all. ;)

All the above.

We had a totally exposed mini on dolphin and it wass fine. Looked straight down to the water and didn't mind at all if people were out above us. If someone wants to take pleasure in looking at me in my PJ's, I'll just hold my head a little higher.:D

I loved it at night.

I think it's just personal preference

We often book Dolphin Deck minis and don't mind the uncovered balcony at all. The only time we wished it was covered was if we get rain. But then, out at sea, with the wind, even with a covered balcony, you are liable to get very wet with the wind. lol

But, since most mini suites have an exposed balcony, it doesn't seem to bother some of us at all. ;)

Exactly how we feel.

As a ghostly pale person who is prone to sunburn, I still prefer the open balcony. I live in a state that gets many gray, cloudy days. I take any sunshine shining down on me any day. Plus I like being to look down and just see the water. That's probably the biggest plus, being over the water. Having people look down on me doesn't bother me. Half the time there wasn't anyone out looking down on me when I was out there. If there were a bunch of people out, it was because we were coming into port and we were all looking at the same things.

I just got back from the grand princess. I had AA D420 center of ship by elevator . loved the room . I like the open balcony. Siting out in the sun or watching the stars at night . I never noticed anyone above me . Why have a covered balcony . I want to see everything . Really hot days I sat in doorway at my table having a cold one . CARL

I've only minded my open balcony once, when a bunch of yahoos on Caribe Deck were partying constantly and shouting down at anybody on Dolphin Deck who was out trying to enjoy the ocean. But that's only happened to us once. As for privacy, I don't think anybody is going to spend time staring at me when they could be gazing on the ocean or stars.:o

But for anybody who simply cannot be out in the sun, the Emerald Deck minis are the way to go.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dolphin balconies are the better balconies in my opinion. If you DON'T want sun (and who wouldn't?) just realize that it won't be sunny all day. I mean, the sun has to travel to the other side at some point! Also, since Dolphin sticks out the most, when you look out and down, ALL you see is the ocean. The poor folks above you look down onto strangers' balconies!! Which would you rather have a view of??? We were never even aware of the people above us unless we made it a point to look, which I think I only did twice. Dolphin balcony for sure. It's a no-brainer for me.

Have had uncovered on Dolpin twice. Am old. Am wrinkled. Don't care. If they dare look TWICE, then I'm not the "weird" one, am I? I love the open air. We just try to do all that MARATHON love-making BEFORE we head outside (if only in my dreams!) LOL. Honestly, I really do enjoy the extra space & love Dolphin deck. :-)

Prefer the larger Caribe balcony but the fully open Dolphin balconies don't bother me.

I really don't care if people above can look into my balcony. What does bother me is people that throw stuff (read cigarette butts) over the side and they end up on me. :mad:

We usually have a balcony and love it, covered or not. But there was the time when someone above us was feeding the birds while we were in port. I went out on the balcony at the wrong time when a bird flew overhead. Ugh! Our steward was so nice about cleaning up after the bird and I took a shower.

So...please don't feed the birds!

We will ONLY sail in a fully covered balcony, I'm sure eventually I will be swayed to try a caribe deck balcony, but first and foremost, we prefer the privacy, I thoroughly enjoy taking my coffee out onto the balcony in my jammies, and don't think anyone should be subjected to my Mickey Mouse pj bottoms, I don't even like looking in the mirror when I first wake up so the thought of an actual human being other than myself seeing that, makes me want to hide. Second, it seems to block a lot of noise from above, so when my upstairs neighbors are also out admiring the open sea, I don't pick up on their conversation of jeans vs. no jeans in the dining room :D Third, it also helps to block the wind, rain and sun. If you are travelling to a hot destination, trust me, you WILL get your tan, and plenty of that good ol' sun, I don't need to bake out on my balcony as well. When there is a great storm at sea, which is what we had every night on our 14 day Caribbean cruise, we thoroughly enjoyed sitting out on the balcony and watching the show, while being protected from the rain. And LAST, when you can't see anyone around you, you forget they're there, and it makes the experience "special," in a way, like the feel of a deserted island I imagine, just you and the ocean.

This is why we have fallen head over heels in love with the Emerald deck minis, so quiet, yet so conveniently located!

Archived